Cow's milk, goat's milk, coconut milk, rice milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2005, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are going to dd's 12 month visit tomorrow. I will continue to bf as long as dd wants, so that is not what I am asking.

I know the DR will tell us to start using cow's milk, which we will not do. But I would like to have other's feedback on what you eventually gave and any good sites to read up on this. I mentioned the four in the title because those seem to be the options that many go with from what I have been reading.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 05:03 PM

I think I started with zucchini milk, homemade... then tried rice milk, the plain kind with no added sugar. Since rice seemed to be the least allergenic out of all the grain milks. After that I tried almond milk, oat milk and finally soy. If you have a source for raw cow or goat milk you might want to try that at some point. As a dairy source I also gave DS homemade yogurt made from several different types of milk.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 10-17-2005, 05:11 PM

I tried a variety of milks which dd spit out with such a look of disgust! She now will finally eat a little milk in cereal. I'm still bf'ing and i think that is just her preference!!We eat lots of yogurt (cow or goat or soy. she likes it frozen)I'm not sure that any milk is necessary-especially if you 're bfing......
Old 10-17-2005, 05:13 PM

Why? Humans don't need ANY milk but human milk. My dd is 14 months and has not had any non-human milk.

-Angela
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM

My 3 yr old loves almond milk. He won't drink any other. My 2 yr old is still bfing and she won't drink any milk at all. I did soy for awhile, but we couldn't tolerate it. I didn't like the rice milk very much, so we stuck with almond.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:30 PM

just mommymilk here too - and water, and small amounts of cloudy apple juice. I didn't see why dd would need 'other' milk nutritionally, so we don't give it
Old 10-17-2005, 06:35 PM

We don't give any milk other than breast. Lately, though, my DS has become fond of having tea with me (which I do about 15 times a day). For his tea, I put about a tablespoon of hot tea and then half a cup of rice milk. He likes it that way.

I was thinking of trying to have him drink soy or almond milk as a regular thing, but when I read the ingredients on the boxes at Whole Foods, it put me off.

Although intellectually I don't believe that kids need non-human milk, it has been so ingrained in us by society that cow milk=healthy that it is hard to let go of it.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 PM

My 32 mo. old is still nursing, but sometimes drinks soymilk. He loves it, and we drink Silk Enhanced which has a ton of vitamins and such. I keep it to a one cup a day limit, though. He doesn't eat any dairy products.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try any variety you like. But bear in mind that as PP's said, human children only NEED human milk. My DD gets goat's milk on her cereal, in pancakes I bake and things, etc. She drinks water and nurses. Sometimes she gets soy on her cereal when we run out of goat's, which is what I put on my cereal and in my coffee.

Bear in mind that almond and rice milks are basically just sugar water. Soy is too, but with protein as well. Goat's has both more fat and more protein (and less allergenic proteins) than cow's, with lower lactose. A whole fat diet is good for little ones, but there are other places to get those fats than cow's milk, most notably your own milk, which becomes more fat-concentrated to meet the needs of a toddler who isn't nursing as much as before, but also egg, avocado, nuts, plant oils (palm, olive, etc.)

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM

My DS is 16 months and has only ever had mama's milk and water. Our pede says BF'ed babes don't need cow's milk or juice and it is just empty calories.

How do you know your pede will encourage cow's milk? Will he/she change their tune once they know you are still BF'ing?

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all and thanks for the feedback!

As I mentioned, I am going to continue to bf as long as dd wants. I am just trying to think ahead in regards to different types of milk that can be used. I agree that human milk is best for children. But when I cook, eventually give dd cereal, etc., I will not be using my bm, so I want other options. I do not drink any milk, so I am not one that beliefs the hype about how great it is.

I have been leaning towards the goat milk, but I really need to do my homework! Can that come organic as well? If not, does goat's milk have the hormones in it that cow's does? Is powered just as good as fresh?

Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2005, 02:19 AM

Beside breastmilk, and dd gets tons of it, we give her rice milk (rice dream) in smoothies she loves. She also gets some yellow cheese and occasionally some other diary products.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:32 AM

The more i think about it and read here i realize that most dc's still bf'ing really don't like milk I thought it was just dd.DD says BM is the most delicious thing ever! Cows milk is not made for humans, it's made for cows-right?! LOL. I know people that use goat and think raw is best,but probably not as readily available.Also i notice at certain times of the year when the mama goats are nursing(spring) goat products are not available at all.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:34 AM

My dd hates milk of any kind now ( although she did like BMilk) But I have read that Goats milk is the closest thing to breast milk out there. IMO I only would give my kids Organic/hormone free dairy if they would drink it.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Summerhill Dairy brand I buy at Trader Joe's is labeled hormone and antibiotic free. And it comes in a recyclable plastic jug rather than a non-recyclable container.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE

Well we just got back from the Dr's and they now look at me like I am crazy I think. Yes, he did push cow's milk. I mentioned hormones, he said nothing has been proven but he does worry about the antibiotics. So I questioned goat's vs cow's and he said there is no nutritional value in one over the other. Again this is a moot point because we are not introducing it yet.

I do really like him. He is a GP not and actual ped. He live in a not very good AP area, so a Dr that is open to AP ideas is hard to find.

I am just feeling yucky because it wasn't the best visit in terms of the DR's attitude.

He questioned if she is still in her crib... still? She never was. I said yes just not to be bothered, dh says no at the same time. Then the whole issue with vaxes! They wanted to give her MMR and Chicken pox, I remind them that we are delaying. They looked at me as though I have three heads!
Old 10-18-2005, 02:34 PM

My DD gets some organic cow milk and some organic soymilk when I am away from her. She breastfeeds otherwise.

I think rice milk would not have enough fat and too much sugar, but that's just a gut feeling.

I am curious why people like raw milk better? I'd be concerned about listeria.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:59 PM

DS loves cold oat milk. Higher in calories and protein than rice milk. We, too, are dairy free. And I hear you about the three-heads look with vaccines, no crib, no-dairy, etc.! :LOL I'm getting better at just shaking my head and saying hmmm ....
Old 10-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Banned

I give organic cow milk at home and she gets the regular cow milk at school because they provide it. For a treat I give her vanilla or chocolate soy milk. I absolutely love whole milk which is why I get it and allow my daughter to have it. I don't think that anything is philosophically wrong about drinking organic cow milk, it's not like the cow is killed or abused so we can have organic milk.

User Tag List