Help--potty learning question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-31-2002, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

One of my dds will use the potty completely by herself if, and only if, her bottom half is naked. If she's wearing training pants she'll just pee or poop in them, but she never has accidents if she's naked. It seems to me that she's clearly interpreting her bodily cues, but for some reason doesn't want to bother using the potty if she's dressed. I've heard of many other children going through a phase like this. My dd has been doing this for 2-3 months, and I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to gently help her along. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Vanessa
Mama to Holly, Nina, and Amber (11/09/99)
#2 of 10 Old 12-31-2002, 02:04 PM

b'h

try dressing her in a long shirt or a dress, with nothing underneath. this way she's not walking around the house in her birthday suit, yet she's got nothing on at the same time...

did it with dd. worked.

g'luck.
#3 of 10 Old 01-01-2003, 02:44 PM

DS just started going on the potty, unprompted, whenever he was naked. After a few weeks of keeping him naked, and having no accidents, we've begun putting regular undies on him, or just cotton pants with no dipe. He pulls them down, and has continued to use the potty. As soon as the dipe (or training pants, which he seems to equate with dipes) go back on though, he doesn't use the potty.

Let me know if you figure out what to do when you leave the house! We haven't quite got there yet! Good luck!

Amanda
mama to Calvin 1/23/01 and baby bean #2 arriving 4/03
#4 of 10 Old 01-02-2003, 04:24 AM

I agree about putting a dress on her. Or if it's too cold for that, try pants with nothing underneath. That's what worked for us. Even with regular panties dd would just go for it, assuming they would catch something (I guess).
We had a few accidents when we went out that way at first, but it was as much me forgetting to take her as anything. That was just a couple of months ago (dd is 2 1/2 now) & she always tells me when she has to go when we're out now - can't remember the last time we had an accident. At home is a different story: sometimes she'll go on her own; other times she'll be standing right near the potty & pee on the floor, even after I've just asked if she has to go. Luckily, she always says (or just goes) when she has to poo & I haven't had to clean a poopy diaper in ages !
She only wears diapers at night & is usually dry in the morning.
Have patience...I get really frustrated sometimes, too, but I know it's getting better all the time when I look back (we started potty training in May).
Helen

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#5 of 10 Old 01-03-2003, 05:40 AM

cloth training pants let kids actually feel they are wet. you can get them at wal-mart or (hopefully) ecobaby.com and they are washable...they can't stop it if they can't feel wetness
#6 of 10 Old 01-03-2003, 08:00 AM

Hi, my dd was 18 months old when she started using the potty which I know is relatively early. If I put her in any kind of bottom (training pants, panties, etc.) she would use them like a diaper.
We didn't use anything that was over the crotch whether rompers, onesies, overalls. We let her naked or we just put longer dresses on dd and let her run around bare bum. The dress did get wet sometimes as it would dip down into her toilet when she sat !
At two she started to reliably use the potty even when wearing panties, so it's just a phase.
#7 of 10 Old 01-04-2003, 12:58 AM

We've been in this "phase" for months now and I would really like to know what I can do to gently nudge her along. It is so frustrating because I really don't know how to dress her for it. We often do the dress thing, but that's not always practical. Outings are the biggie though. Every now and then she will tell me she needs to go in public but usually not so I feel like I need to use waterproof training pants at least in case of an accident which usually means she will have one because she views training pants, waterproof or not, as diapers. How do we fininsh this transition?
#8 of 10 Old 01-05-2003, 06:30 AM

Of course every child is different, and I accept that in some cases what we call the transition phase may be going on for what we feel like ages. For us it was approximately six months, from 18 to 24 mo. As we knew we could trust her if she wasn't wearing painties, and accidents were really rare and far between, we felt comfortable in bringing her out almost anywhere, with a dress and no undies. Usually nobody noticed, and if some people did, they did not seem to care. A couple of times other mums politely asked something, and when I explained they were interested in my method !
I suppose much depends on your own tolerance level and that of the community you live in.
A more serious problem could be the climate. My daughter's training took place in springtime and summer, had it been winter in a cold place , I have to agree that things would have been more complicated. Luckily, my second daughter will be 1 1/2 year next April, so I look forward to training her in the same conditions I've trained my eldest.
#9 of 10 Old 02-02-2003, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! I'm so sorry I never checked back to this thread. I thought no-one ever replied since I was never notified of any replies.

The update is that I decided to go ahead and put her in regular panties. When we are at home this is all we will wear, so that she will be really aware of them. I explained to her that these were different panties, and that they would not absorb her pee so she needed to use the potty if she wanted to wear them. I also reminded her that she was wearing panties and would ask her if she knew what they meant, to which she would answer, "the potty".

Now usually she insists on getting dressed once she's put on her panties. This is not a problem because she will *only* wear dresses, much to my dismay, so I only try to encourage her to wear socks instead of tights which we'll change before we go out. She'll have the occassional accident, and needs more reminding, but she seems to be getting the hang of it.

We have now made a rule about going, or at least trying to go before we leave the house, and we almost always have to tell her when to go when she's out. I felt bad about this until I realized that she just doesn't want to miss anything when we're out and about, and that even as an adult I consider whether or not I should use the toilet before I leave the house, etc..

The good news is she asked to go to the potty today while we were out, and during the middle of our lunch, so that's great!

Thanks for all your replies!
#10 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
About 6 weeks ago, Madyson decided out of the clear blue that she wanted to learn to use the potty. So, like the obedient mommy that I am, I went along with it! He he he. We, too, hit this phase and it frustrated both of us. So like others I turned to dresses. We live in Rhode Island, so it is a tad cold up here, defniitely too cold for outings. But we solved it by not going out!!!!! I know, not always practical. But we did stay home as much as possible and I took her to the potty every hour. She wanted to learn, but she wasn't willing to tell me when she needed to go. So she got to pick out her panties every morning and we put on a dress and socks and got naked time for a while. But taking her to the potty every hour was what helped. She hasn't had an accident in over 2 weeks now! And she is staritng to tell me that she needs to go! But if we need to go out, she pee pees right before we leave, she tries when we get there, and I watch the time, makign sure that no more than an hour passes between pee pee breaks. I ask her if she needs to go, but she usually says no and has to go 2 minutes later. All part in parcel of 2-year-old-hood. so when she did have an accident, I would just clean her up and get her clean clothing while I had her sit on the potty cause usually she got really upset and stopped herself and had more to go and it went in the potty. Good time to reinforce that desired behavior!!!!
So it worked for us. I pay a little more in heating bills to keep her warm during naked time, but it kinda evens out the cost of water to wash diapers all the time.
Meg and Madyson 7/23/00

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page