Sleeping through the night!? When? - DS is 28 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2003, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! My wonderful ds wakes up all night long!

He used to co sleep with us (till he was 19 months old) but he tossed and turned, so much none of us slept well. He transitioned very easily to a toddler bed and seems to not move around as much.

However, since he was a wee babe, he's awakened all through the night. My DH and I are exhausted and I am almost 5 months pg with our second babe.

DS also nurses in the morning and before bed -- he's in daycare fulltime (until #2 is born!!!) and naps there and at home well, for 2 hours everyday.

He is definitely tired when he goes to bed -- between 8 and 9 pm and sleeps soundly for at least 2 hours, but then he wakes up every 1 to 3 hours. My DH has taken to sleeping on the floor next to the toddler bed once DS starts waking up because he only needs a pat or two on the back to get him back down, otherwise if he really wakes up and cries it takes forever to get him back asleep.

We experimented with having him sleep with us again, but it didn't help (worse actually) and he asked to go to his bed.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2003, 03:03 PM

i can't write and nurseat the same time so iu'll be brief for a change...

i'd try cutting way down on the nap time first. ds2 at 3 yo sleeps much better on those days when naps are short.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:29 AM
ksn

My son is 28 months too and on mornings when I wake up without him having woken up throughout the night before, I would never fail to do a thankgiving prayer. reason is that I hardly get to sleep throughout the night.

I shifted him out of our room (he slept with us but on a mattress on the floor since he was born) just last month. DH and I wanted privacy again. Also wanted Mikey to learn to sleep by himself in the room that we will put no. 2 when he/she is born in June.

It was quite a nightmare shifting him out. Occasionally now, he still wakes up crying for me (only me unfortunately). even DH can't do anything so there is lots of pressure on me. I get little sleep.

My sis shifted her daughter out as well last year and is still waking up to attend to her needs in the middle of the night. I guess, it will be like that for a couple more years.

My personal opinion.... suggest that you don't shift your child back to your room again. Your son will get confused at what you are doing.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2003, 04:03 PM

My son does the same thing, at 30 months. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in 3 years now- we tried everything we could think of, and everything they could think of at the sleep clinic even, to no avail. I'm sorry you're in the same boat, and sorry I have no useful advice.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the great responses! It helps to know we are not alone! And to know that this is "normal" for some kids.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:05 PM

Not to make you feel worse, but just to warn you ~ I'm still waiting for my 6 year old DD to sleep thru the night

~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 01-03-2003, 06:50 PM
glh

You have my sympathy, I am in the same boat. My 26 month old dd has been waking up MORE since she turned two and I have no idea why. At the time she was getting molars, but now I think it is just out of habit. I nurse her back to sleep, but some nights she is just really restless and my dh will end up leaving the room to go sleep somewhere else. Then she usually will sleep after that. I think I just answered my own question. I think some nights dh keeps waking her up! Oh well, I can't kick him out permanently, now can I?

On a more positive note, my six-year old did the same thing until he was weaned at 3 1/2. After that he slept through the night. I think as long as they are still nursing they will wake up, but I'm not quite ready to wean dd yet. I am hoping it will come about more naturally so it is not traumatic.

User Tag List