Up from 11:30 to 2:30 AM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-02-2003, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is just my little corner to cry in. My son is 16 months, and usually goes to sleep pretty easily, and stays asleep for most of the night. When he's up, it's usually only for 30-40 minutes and he nurses back to sleep.

But for the last 3 nights, he has woken up after only being asleep for an hour or so. And last night he woke up ALL the way. He was so sleepy, but his little body was wound up TIGHT. He would nurse and just KICK KICK KICK with both legs.

He had a babysitter yesterday for the first time since October. We went to see the second Lord of the Rings. He had a great time with her, but I think he just got too excited.

We gave him Hyland's teething tablets and Valerian/skullcap tincture.

Cross your fingers that tonight goes better! (It didn't help that when dh came in to spell me, he lectured our son. "Now son, daddy has to go to work in the morning. You need to sleep.")
#2 of 4 Old 01-02-2003, 03:44 PM

good luck! I am sorry sleeping has been hard for the two of you

Here are my suggestions (for what it's worth):

~ try a snack before bed (sometimes I notice that when DD doesn't eat much dinner she wakes more at night)

~ push bedtime back a half an hour, or forward if he is too wound up

~ give him a book or a couple of books to look at in bed when he wakes up, at least you could get a little shut eye while he is occupied

~ shorten his afternoon nap, he may just not need as much sleep as before, maybe either bump his nap earlier (waking him earlier in the am if needed) so he is extra tired at night time, or by just shortening it by 15-20min...

don't really know what else to suggest....Chammomile works great...also I always do a lavendar bath with DD when she seems too wound (I take a bath with her so I get the benefits too) and then a massage with lavendar lotion....works like a charm for her...
#3 of 4 Old 01-03-2003, 04:34 AM

Not sure if you celebrate the holidays but if you do, it can be very challenging on a child's sleep patterns...I know it has been for mine! Since Christmas dd's sleeping times/naps have been waaaayyy off and it makes for an overly tired little one.

We haven't been able to do the relaxing baths/massages (they've been hurry up kind) lately because of hectic nights, etc. but when things are normal, she loves having her feet rubbed and I think after a nice bath it can be very relaxing and help the transition to bed.

Good luck!!!!
#4 of 4 Old 01-03-2003, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. We usually take him the indoor playground at the Mall in the early evenings, and hadn't in the last few days. We tried that last night, and he had his usual great time. But he still didn't sleep well.

I actually think there's something else going on. He had diarrhea this morning. Ugh. He was up 3 times last night, and I could tell that he didn't feel well.

He never has liked to be "usual." We think we have something figured out, then he changes it! Even his sleep disturbances are different from night to night. At least last night he went back to sleep easier. That wide awake thing is MUCH more difficult for me to deal with.

We have a bedtime routine that works well for us. We play at home or at the playground, then have an oatmeal, apple sauce and yogurt snack, then dh gives ds his bath. After the bath, it's good to sit on the floor to be blow dried ("hot, hot!") then you play on the bed with the cat. Then it's time to say night night ("na na") and nurse to sleep.

Today is dh's day off, so maybe I can get a nap in this afternoon.

Think SLEEPY thoughts for us tonight!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page