Are you a construction site groupie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-02-2003, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you seek out big machines? You know, excavators, graders, rollers, backhoes, cement trucks... Did you give a rip before you had a boy?

We spent 30 minutes at the local site today (not our first visit either) as they fed concrete from a crane down a big tube into the form for the new floor of a building. There's ds, almost 2.5 yrs old, waving at the workers and me, reading the mail, cleaning the car and talking on the cell phone to the other construction site groupie mom I know.

When I read this month's editorial about the evil TV, I thought, I know, I am so guilty because I let ds watch construction videos so I can take a shower in the morning. It keeps him out of mischief. So, I was glad today to be a CSG (construction site groupie) and watch the real thing instead of the box at home.

Am I alone? Is it just boys? Do you, like my mommy friend and I, now want to operate Ursa Major? Forget the SUV! Bring on the 8 ton dump truck!

Put your hard hat on!
Rebecca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 01-02-2003, 05:43 PM

We're anxiously awaiting warmer, dryer weather so we can walk over to the new houses going up. That kept my son entertained all summer! Concrete mixers are his favorite. My Mom got him a little Sesame Street mixer for Christmas, and it goes everywhere with us.

School buses are also a big hit. We can see the corner from our back window, and we see about 4 or 5 school buses on a good day. Christmas break is just killing us. My son is 16 months old, and for the past week, he points to the window and tells us "no, nooo." For no school bus today. We're looking forward to Monday!

We also have 3 more "indoor buses". We have the home Fischer Price bus and one for Grandmommy's house. And we SWIPED one from the church nursery! (Our son is the only toddler, and my husband is the pastor. I don't think anyone will miss it.) DS holds onto it in the car.
#3 of 27 Old 01-02-2003, 06:07 PM

Can we build it? YES, WE CAN!

We (me, DH, and 29-month-old DS) are not only construction site groupies, we're also city bus groupies (my big excitement this New Year's Eve day was taking the city bus to some downtown construction sites -- whoopee!) and trucks-of-any-kind groupies. I can't believe how much I know about this stuff now!

Before DS could say "I love you, Mama," he could yell out "Front end loader and cement mixer and cherry picker -- over there!!"

I read somewhere that some little ones (and I do know at least one little girl toddler who watched FOR TWO HOURS STRAIGHT some street construction going on outside her house, so it's not just these boys!) experience a "truck awakening" at some point. DS sure did! And our beloved daycare provider has said all the little boys she's known have gone for dinosaurs or trucks, and there are interesting similarities when you think about it!

And yes, we've got one of those god-awful construction videos. DS loves it, unfortunately. I'll take Bob the Builder over that any day.

I would NEVER have predicted that I would get so into construction sites and earth-moving equipment. Even when I'm driving alone now, I can find myself going, "Wow, cool hydraulic excavator..." What's happened to me?!
#4 of 27 Old 01-02-2003, 06:31 PM

Had to giggle when I saw this thread! Never gave a hoot before. Even been known to mutter time and time again about how the trees are disappearing quicker than we can replace them and for what? ANOTHER $(*@# BUILDING!

Now it's a daily outting. Sometimes, I even go looking for them because I know DS will enjoy watching sooo very much--tractors! Loaders! Lifters! Cranes! CEMENT MIXERS! He can't get enough! I love it especially when he sees the person on the truck and says WHOAH!

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#5 of 27 Old 01-02-2003, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

But we will not watch "Fargo" for a long time.

And now I am irked my moms who do NOT know that the thing they called a truck is NOT just a truck but a tipper truck or an articulated airport fire truck.

Seagan - I think we are awakening our inner driver. Our car is now the container ship.

Ebethmom - We have to take all the batteries out of our vehicles, ds does not like them - too loud.

Vrooooom!
Rebecca
#6 of 27 Old 01-02-2003, 09:01 PM

Glad to see this thread! I had to put my car in reverse today because we left the scene of a cement mixer too fast for DD's liking! The workers looked at me knowingly, so I know that I'm not the first parent with a kid in a car seat to sit and watch the equipment! Much better entertainment than TV! When the weather gets better, we'll have fun walking to look at trucks!
#7 of 27 Old 01-03-2003, 02:34 AM

Hi! My name is Sarah... And I too am a construction site groupie. Not to exclude train yards and big equipment rental yards.

I find myself enjoying the experience more than my almost-two-year-old. That's not to say he doesn't flip out every time he sees a loader, grader, dump truck, semi-truck, tractor, etc. etc.

We regularly wave to the garbage men (they'll be visiting tomorrow around 9 am).

And I lust for the GIANT Excevator featured in the My First Truck Board Book. You all know the one I am talking about, right?

I was thinking it might be fun to rent a forklift for an hour when my son turns two (in three weeks). What do you think?

Cheers!
Sarah
#8 of 27 Old 01-03-2003, 04:32 AM

Quote:
... by ajsmom
... Do you, like my mommy friend and I, now want to operate Ursa Major?

:LOL :LOL :LOL

You have "I Dig Dirt," don't you now.

:LOL :LOL :LOL

When we got that video, the first time DS#1 saw it (he was 2) he cried when it was over ... and DH sat down with him and watched it 3 times in a row. And then talked about it for days (DH, that is ...)

We were regular construction site fans, but we're lucky that way 'cuz there are so many right nearby. Even watching the cranes at the building two blocks down while we're waiting for the bus in the morning ... it's almost unavoidable. But our corner became one (a huge building going up, yuck) and they've been blasting since the spring (really really really deep ... a huge public parking garage underneath it, too double yuck) and now are so jaded that the kids barely look, even when a "dumpasaurus" truck goes by.

Got to admit that the day they put the crane together for our corner site ... they closed off the block to assemble it ... was really exciting. Sat at the window and watched it go up. But now I'm neurotic about walking past it, waiting for something to fall ... : (can't keep a good neurotic down :LOL)

- Amy
#9 of 27 Old 01-03-2003, 09:23 AM

#10 of 27 Old 01-03-2003, 10:10 AM

Hello, my name is Jeanie, and all of the local excavator, cherry picker, and front end loader operators know me by name and comment on how Eli has grown...

Like all of you mommas my vocabulary has grown by leaps and bounds. When Eli was a wee babe I would find my self singing Mother Goose rhymes in the car when I was alone. Now, on the rare occassion that I am in the car without him I find myself saying- look at that motorcycle, do you see that crane, etc.

We found a couple of things in the Chinaberry catalog that have gone over big here: The Big Book of Things that Go and a bunch of truck/machine puzzles.

happy digging mommas,
jeanie
#11 of 27 Old 01-03-2003, 01:32 PM

oh how funny! I am currently in the eye of the storm. my 7 yo has moved on to dirtbikes and skateboards, and my 16 mo has not begun noticing the big equipment yet.

but just before christmas i was going through my older sons room and came accross his "special book". we would take lots of pictures at construction sights and made a book to get through those stay at home days... one day my best friend had set up a big surprise with some friends,,we went to have a picnic at a construction site and they were expecting us. Aaron got to get in some of the equipment,,have his picture taken,,even some with him sitting in the big front loader scoop..that was a great day! He was 3 about then,,but he still remembers it like it was yesterday!
#12 of 27 Old 01-03-2003, 05:33 PM

This is so funny! My Dh used to be a heavy Equipment Mechanic and is now an operator. Needless to say, my son grew up on the stuff. We even had a John Deere tractor for awhile and a Skid Steer. DS goes bonkers whenever we are on the Interstate and go though a contruction area. This is the child who is speech delayed, but can say "tractor, dozer, roller, skid steer, dump truck," and actually knows which is which. We joke that it's our fault that he is such an addict b/c during my pregnancy with him we were clearing our land and I could not help much, but I could sit on that tractor all day long and till, disc, mow, etc. Poor boy thinks a deisel motor is lullaby music! Oh well, there are worse things for a boy to be interested in!

PS- And yes, I too could tell you the difference between what machines are what. "Can you name it? Yes I Can!"
#13 of 27 Old 01-03-2003, 05:52 PM

dd is 14m. she likes trash trucks, and taxis, outdoors. Indoors, cell phones, laptops, vacuums and cash registers. working on her career goals.

at work we had cranes come twice to install big satellite dishes...we invigted everyone we knew with kids. It was a party!
#14 of 27 Old 01-04-2003, 01:30 AM

Have to giggle at this thread. We were looking through the videos this a.m. after watching Lion King for gazillionth time. Little man found a video from his 10 year old brother's old collection. He started saying Monster, Monster and pointing. I looked and lo and behold, A monster truck video!!Yippee! I don't even know how he knew to call them a monster truck. He is obviously some kind of protege. We didn't watch it,he voted for Wizard of Oz instead..likes to skip down that yellow brick road, but maybe just for giggles we'll pop it in..it's up to the Cowardly Lion to decide.
#15 of 27 Old 01-04-2003, 03:51 AM

Another Girl Digger here.

My DD is 20.5 months and she likes trucks, trains, and anything mechanical. My traditional mother still shudders at the sight of her first grand-daughter playing construction engineer in the backyard. We must stop for any and all trains.

I think it's great.

Denny
#16 of 27 Old 01-04-2003, 04:05 AM

Front loaders, back hoes, bulldozers,excavators, etc. are the most exciting, thrilling thing in the world right now for my 18 mos old.
#17 of 27 Old 01-04-2003, 04:14 AM

Gosh, I had no idea. Ds is 19 months old, and I have never experienced this. Now I am freaked that I have deprived him of some fantastic experience! I just have never paid attention to any construction sites around us. I will be sure to check out the next one I see though.
#18 of 27 Old 01-04-2003, 02:21 PM

The big ones that pick up dumpsters.
Trucks on the highway carrying cars.
Trucks carrying cattle or trailers with horses in them.

these are all favorites too.
#19 of 27 Old 01-06-2003, 01:12 PM

Oh yes, garbage trucks (DS knows several different types; seeing one pick up two dumpsters at the MN State Fair this summer was the absolute highlight of that multidimensional experience, with taking the bus from the car lot to the fairgrounds the second favorite activity -- those poor farm animals and rides and exhibitions couldn't hold a candle, which did make me a little forlorn for a while!).

But it's the RECYCLING TRUCK that truly melts DS's butter. Wowee, it dumps, it picks up, it has multiple containers, the guy throws bags, it's noisy -- what more could a toddler want? He was Recycling Man for Halloween, and we gave our wonderful recycling guy a gift certificate to the local record store for the holidays. He left a great thank you note on the recycling instruction card -- DS clutched it and pondered it for days.

One last thing -- I feel compelled to note that I consider myself a fairly strong environmentalist, tree hugger, wildlife preservationist, etc., so it does make a little uncomfortable to be so smitten and excited about earth-moving equipment, etc. Thankfully, here in our part of Mpls, most of the construction is done on sites that have long ago lost their trees, etc. But still.

Anyway, just wondering if any other groupies have those mixed feelings...even as we shout out, "Hey! Check out that hydraulic exacavator!!"

darcy
#20 of 27 Old 01-06-2003, 01:28 PM

Us too, but everything is still called a digger or mixer. Talk about tears when we pull away from the sites!
#21 of 27 Old 01-06-2003, 03:44 PM

------------------
#22 of 27 Old 01-06-2003, 05:31 PM
glh

My dh is a construction worker, so my boys were able to visit the job sites and even sit on some of the equipment and "help" since they were very small. My oldest (18 years old) now works with dh on his breaks from college, but believe me, he has no intention of doing it for a living. So far dd, age 2, is not interested in construction, but I saved all the books just in case. She does love going for rides with Daddy in his pickup though!

BTW, they are CONCRETE MIXERS, not cement mixers. Concrete is cement and sand mixed together, which is what the mixers carry to pour foundations. Can you tell I have been married for 22 years to a construction worker?
#23 of 27 Old 01-06-2003, 05:40 PM

Me, DD and DH have all indulged in it. Lots of sites in midtown Manhattan to choose from. . .

I pray there is a new apartment for me that doesn't cost 2,000 dollars a month. . .
#24 of 27 Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Liz

http://www.kenkenkikki.jp/zukan/e_index.html

Go to this site and see why my ds thinks the computer (or peter as he calls it) is for "looking dumptrucks".
#25 of 27 Old 01-07-2003, 01:35 AM

DD is 28 mths and loves trains and various machinery! My father (her Papa) flies back and forth for his job a lot and dd loves to go to the airport to see the planes. I always point out tractors, and her Nama and Papa (my parents) gave her a John Deere tractor for Christmas. She can't quite reach the pedals, so she doesn't play with it much, but she sure loves the real thing! Her fave CD is a Bob the Builder one with the song "Dizzy" sung to the old tune.
I think it is a girl thing almost as much as a boy thing at this age!
Sara
#26 of 27 Old 01-07-2003, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dds are totally into all this. For some reason around here they are always moving houses. The otherday were lucky enough to come upon an empty work sight where they had moved the house just clear of the basement and hadn't roped it off so we trudged through the mud (in our sunday best mind you) to take a good look at the basement and the underside of the house. She was totally stoked for days about it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#27 of 27 Old 01-07-2003, 02:22 AM

What fun the construction stuff is. I enjoy finding the sites as much as my son does. I am so sad when I pass a good site and he is not along. Grandma got ds on a digger last year while I did shopping. And his first sentence was said on a tractor eating chocolate pie...and I quote, "More pie please." A recent tamper viewing helped put baby brother asleep as the ground gently moved beneath our car.

I want to add more construction toys at home and am looking for a wooden excavator. We have the Plan toy Bulldozer, but ds has heart set on an excavator. Any tips?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page