Older kid potty training - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-04-2003, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 3 1/2. REFUSES to even talk about "the potty", look at it, go near it. Now, he's even started to hold his BM's in for days. I have backed off talking about it, and my ped. said to not even talk about it at all--let him relax. So, okay, now what? I'm afraid he won't be allowed in kindergarten because of diapers! (Yes, I know--a year and a half away).
Anybody have resistance for so long? Any advice?
#2 of 4 Old 01-05-2003, 11:00 AM

My son is just 3. We are doing, no underwear during the days and diapers at night. He tends to hold his BMs until diapers are on. He gets 2 M&Ms or 2 mini marshmallows whenever he uses the potty. We don't make much fuss at all when he uses it, but do give the reward/bribe. I try to act like it's just expected and that I know he'll do it. That's really hard. That's part of why I don't make a big happy fuss anymore when he does use the potty. I also don't make a fuss when he has an accident.
I recently got lots and lots of used pants for him (trades & ebay) so if he has a bad day, I don't have to do laundry right away.

We are starting to reintroduce underwear part of the days because his 2 day a week daycare starts up again next week.
#3 of 4 Old 01-05-2003, 12:02 PM

Two of my DD's were 4 years old before they were "trained" I was invisioning no kindergarten as well!! :LOL

When they're ready, they're ready and I have found that there is not too much you can do about it but wait..
The bigger deal I made out of it..even trying to make it more fun, the more they resisted.

peggy
#4 of 4 Old 01-05-2003, 07:16 PM

my ds turns 4 in a couple of weeks and is totally not potty trained yet. will not even consider it.. i'm having visions of kindergarten diapers too..

i don't even know what to do at this point.. sigh..
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page