August 04 Moms and Tots: November - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 48 Old 11-11-2005, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Laurie your story had me worried until I came to the end and sighed with relief that everything is ok. Please keep it that way.
That sounds like a great plan Caroline.

I have a problem threatening to take away things from Ben that I'm not wililng to follow through with though. Maybe you can relate. Like I say if he doesn't start behaving we'll have to go, but I really don't want to go because I'm having fun talking to the mommies. Or we can't go until he cleans up and he has no problem staying home but I want to go. Ug. I hate it when something like that backfires.

Josh and I have heard of SO many people who have gone to Disney this month. What is up? Are they having a sale? :LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 11-13-2005, 01:05 AM

christeeny, i can't get through to the pictures... access denied. what do we do to get to them?

linc had his first stomach flu, yesterday and the day before. BLECH! i am not good with barfing kids. poor baby fought this one for almost 24 hours, thank goodness we were nursing because he wouldn't take anything else. he's still a little slowed down and napping a bit more than usual but otherwise he's back in the saddle. i've got one more load of laundry to finish and i'll be done too.

his favorite game nowadays is to run to you, look you in the eye, and run away... slowing down about four feet from you, looking over his shoulder to make sure you're gonna "catch" him. it's the cutest thing ever! he also sits and "reads" his books, tapping the words and pictures as he chants little stories to himself. TONS of new words, "hot" and "fish" and "coo" (cookie) and "up" and "down" and (hooray!) "please" and more more more!

i too am loving this age... he's so curious and determined and happy. it was so hard to hold him, limp and sad, while he was sick. i'm so glad i've got my giggly little guy back again!

take care, all...

katje
#33 of 48 Old 11-13-2005, 04:13 AM

www.soontobefour.blogspot.com Let's try that link. If it doesn't work, then I don't know what to do.
#34 of 48 Old 11-15-2005, 01:54 AM

that works! LOVE the "conductor series" pics... and you are just too cute, you and your sweetie "out on the town"! thanks!
#35 of 48 Old 11-19-2005, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the pictures, Christine. I love seeing you guys!

I've temporarily returned to the world of paid work. I have a couple of translation contracts for the next couple of weeks. Busy, busy, busy.

We are focusing on potty training here. Each unused diaper elicits great joy from me. The laundry has been an enormous burden with the little guy's frequent wetting--at least one load of dipes a day, sometimes two! The other night I didn't change a single diaper all night, which was miraculous.

Caroline, I think that particular reward system might be too complicated for a four-year-old. I also see potential problems with getting a child of that age to return tickets. It could add to your conflicts. Have you implemented anything yet? Four is different from three, isn't it? I'm finding it easier, but definitely a lot ruder (is that even a word?). We have also seen a resurgence of hitting. I have declared today "No Negative Attention Day," so I'm trying not to give a big show when dd acts up. I think she thrives on my freakouts.

Ciao bellas.
#36 of 48 Old 11-19-2005, 11:42 PM

We've adapted it somewhat since starting it. I found I wasn't giving out enough stars to take away with the frequency we needed to initially. And, it was completely devaluing them. So, now, she gets five stars at the beginning of the day. If she does something she shouldn't, we read the list of behaviors we want and figure out which one it was. And, we're working towards an American Girl big girl doll. It will take her ages and ages to earn it, but she hasn't stopped asking for it and we decided it's a strong enough motivator to keep her interest. So, we have a printout of the doll that she wants, and I drew 100 dots around the doll. For every star she has left at the end of the night, she can connect a dot. When the dots are all connected, we'll order the doll. (although, they're on sale now, so I'm thinking about getting it now and hiding it away) Along the way we have some mini rewards notated. She'll get $1 to spend at the dollar store at certain milestones, just to keep her interest going. It's actually produced some amazing results already. She's more conscious of what she's doing. And, if she does something she shouldn't, she stops, looks at me, and says "I'll go get a star." There's been no tantruming about returning the stars, except the one night she had to give me her very last star. As long as she has one left, she does well. And, when she's down to only one, she works really hard to keep it. I just wish she'd work that hard all day, but she's a kid, so she's allowed to slip up here and there.

I'm hoping that she'll get into really good habits in the three months it will probably take her to earn this doll. That by the end, once she gets the doll, we won't be using it anymore. That's what I'm anticipating anyway. How long does it take a child to make a new habit? I've heard with adults, it's 30 days, so we're giving her a little extra time to really set these habits in good. I do want her to be internally motivated to behave kindly and respectfully, but things had gotten a little out of hand so we had to make a change. I'm really hopeful this is going to be it.

I feel responsible for things coming to this. I kept hearing "4 is easier" so I admit, I let her go a little further than I should. She had been getting really, gosh, I hate to say it, but snotty. Stomping her feet when she's angry (sometimes on your toes), really talking back nastily, just really stretching her limits as far as she could. And, now, we're reeling her back in. I DO think that she's benefitting from having some clear boundaries right now. And, it helps my husband be consistent with her, too. We have very clear expectations, and when she doesn't meet them, we're able to concisely say why.

And, Bonnie was totally out of control on my freak out days. I haven't had one since we started this, and she's so much more pleasant to deal with. I'm feeling calmer, she's acting up less, it's all good (for now...)
#37 of 48 Old 11-21-2005, 12:07 PM

Thank you on the pic compliments. I update that site regularly. (or at least try to) I'll have to post the link more often to share. I haven't been online alot lately because I've been keeping myself busy. I have noticed that my online time is coordinated with my boredom. If I'm not bored I am a happier mama. I am afraid our chatty group may be coming to a slow halt.
Thomas has been having fever and crankiness for the past few days but today he seems ok for now. I haven't taken him to the dr. because I know that there's nothing I can do but give him tylenol/ibuprofen for pain and fever so why bother. We had an ok night last night. Lots of nursing. I've been trying to wean** lately. But he's been resisting any attempts at night. Baby steps. **Oh and by wean I mean cut back so he's not ripping my shirt off in public, eating more food more consistantly, and not nursing to sleep. I still plan on nursing for alot longer. I just want a little space.
#38 of 48 Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

: The part about not being online when life is good.

I have some questions I've been meaning to post, but it hasn't been as urgent. A four-year-old doesn't change as quickly as a toddler and my toddler is the kind of kid who asks for mittens and bed, so he doesn't require nearly as much research as my daughter.
#39 of 48 Old 11-26-2005, 03:25 AM

:

Hi Mamas! I've been a bit remiss with this thread for some time. I miss you all. I think what was said above about not being on line when things are good is pretty true for me, too. Although I have been here at MDC lately, but all my mental energy seems to be focused most computer time on my older son.

About my little guy: Still a dream. Started saying, "hot", "uh-oh", "Hiya" just over the past few weeks. Went to the ER with him in the middle of the night last week b/c his big brother poked him in the eye. Corneal abrasion. He's fine now. Currently loves to rub his food-doesn't matter what it is-in his hair. He LOVES dogs. Which is weird b/c we have one old cat. He is incredibly snuggly and affectionate still-and has been since the beginning. He's getting into books now, too and he'll pick one up and sit it in his lap and turn the pages and smile and laugh. Loves raisins and pretzel sticks.

Anyway, I'll check back in again soon. I hope you are hanging in there.
#40 of 48 Old 11-27-2005, 10:56 PM

oh, bears! poor little dude... i've had a corneal abrasion and it was one of the worst pains i've ever had to deal with. it will probably heal just fine, but for me the trick was to keep hydrated (so the eye wouldn't dry out and mess up the healing cells). good luck!

lincoln popped not one but two teeth on thanksgiving, both bicuspids on top (skipped the canine teeth). first teeth since may! plus another one today, the lower right bicuspid... total of 10. he's been just miserable, fingers in his mouth and fussy. of course boob makes him feel better but i finally went for the oragel today after feeling totally wrung out and drained. his favorite thanksgiving food was the yams, but i think he was pretty happy to share my pumpkin cheesecake too (or maybe it was the bourbon in the whipped cream he liked! ;-)

we all had a nice feast here. nobody but us six, but still it was a nice crowd. it was a challenge but i made a big ol' dinner for a vegan, a vegetarian, two bird-eaters and two omnivores... and everyone was happy! hope you all had a wonderful day with lots of good tucker and happy family around.

katje
#41 of 48 Old 11-28-2005, 10:19 PM

Hello ladies! I have been bad about posting to our little thread here lately! Guess we don't have as much to talk about with toddlers, huh?

We are doing well. Bash is just so much fun right now. He has boundless energy and constantly cracks us up! He loves his big brother and tries to do everything he does. I mean he even will watch Ezekiel throw himself on the floor in during a tantrum and quickly follow suit! He also loves big trucks and school buses (well really whats not to love? They're big, yellow, loud and full of those super cool older kids ). Loves animals, especially ducks. We are have some slight issues with him throwing whatever he can get his hands on, but for now I just try to redirecting him to a ball he can throw. Still doesn't have many words. "mama" "duck" "fish" "shoe" "water" "woah" (means truck). He does often yell "ubba!ubba!ubba!" which means up and/or help. Still nursing lots but also *must* eat anything I am eating.

Bash is getting into books, too One of his favorite places to go is the bookstore.

Christine great pics! Thanks for sharing.

katje: wow thats a lot of teeth! poor guy! We've had a bit of a break from teething here, thankfully.

Bears: ouch, corneal abrasion does not sound fun! Glad he's ok.

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#42 of 48 Old 11-30-2005, 03:11 PM

Twas a very happy and fun thanksgiving around here. Baby had lots of friends and cousins over. She didn't eat much turkey, but she liked the stuffing and the homemade yeast rolls.

16 months and she runs around alot. Falls sometimes, had a nasty bruise for a few days, and I felt sad everytime I saw it. She is such a happy go lucky child, I have to hug her a hundred times a day. Still nurses a fair amount. My mom and sis are here for a few days and the last 2 nights, baby slept with them! All night. She usually wakes up 2-3 times to nurse and goes back to sleep, but with them she just woke up, babbled a bit and went back to sleep. It was heavenly to have the whole bed to myself and dh! Plus I'm so happy she is learning to sleep thru without nursing!

I think after they leave I might have her sleep on dh's side of the bed and see if that works too.

So. What are you getting these babies for christmas? I know they are really toddlers, but I still call her and think of her my tiny baby. She is rather petite, exactly 20 lbs, and can still fit into some of her 9 months clothes!
#43 of 48 Old 12-01-2005, 03:45 PM

linc is getting an art table from costco, a rolling lawnmower-type wooden push toy, possibly an aquadoodle, some books, some felt food, felted slippers and another knitted ball. i'd like to buy or make him a little dolly, too, but time and finances are not looking good for either... maybe if a relative asks for hints, that's what i'll ask for. any reccommendations for a good doll source?

he's picking up words all over the place... was chanting "cracker" the other day ("cack-coo, cack-coo!"). he hates being bundled up but it's been in the 20s and 30s.

he is so much fun these days! everything is a game or song or dance to him. he does push limits, though... lord only knows what he's gonna do with a christmas tree. we'll find out soon enough!

i hope everyone else puts up what their little guys are getting for the holidays... i can always use ideas!

stay warm, everyone...

katje
#44 of 48 Old 12-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Hi Katje-

Just a quick chime in here after I read your post about Christmas gifts. I am at a loss for the little one. A few wooden toys, but I have yet to decide on which ones. We are simplifying things even more around here this year. Finances and just a general sense that Christmas to the extended family has lost it's true meaning. Going to try to focus on the tradition-type things we do. And just a few gifts...

More when I can. Anyone else feel this way about Christmas this year? I've always felt this way, but I really feel it now for some reason. I'm sure a very tight budget has something to do with it! :
#45 of 48 Old 12-01-2005, 11:51 PM

Oh Laurie, how sad. I wish there was a way to make things easier for you. It sounds like you are going through a helluva lot. Warm hugs are being sent your way.
#46 of 48 Old 12-02-2005, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Daphne's already four months old? Time flies.
#47 of 48 Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 PM

I'm experiencing trouble getting the subscription notices. I know many of you complained about that a few months ago or so. Hmmm... any suggestions? I have more pics.... www.soontobefour.blogspot.com

Thomas is trying to do anything his big brother does. Including giving the dog her treats. If he sees Ben do it or me do it. He reaches up so I'll give him on to feed the dog too. More later.
#48 of 48 Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page