<<<May04 Toddlers in Nov: Only Terrible Housewives & Wannabe Vegan Nuns Allowed!!!>>> - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 229 Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Megan- we cross-posted earlier. Didja get to the gym?

Sarah'smama- your T-day sounds so wonderful. It's great that you have such a great relationship with your mom.

Renae- sending you peaceful vibes for tomorrow, and sleep vibes for tonight to recoup from what sounds like a hard day.

I need nightweaning advice- I took it to YG cause it was getting long here.

TTFN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 229 Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Hi guys! *waves from Mexico* HOLA!!! I'm hommmme! so glad to be here and Viet is being a champ, worshipping the goddess that is me like he ought. *hooot hoooot!* He's got competition...

Anyway feelin really good about being home. Asaaalik, so enjoyed your planning site! How much fun are you having!!!! Love everything you're doing. I was married once and had a total blast with all the prep, it truly was the day of my dreams and I will never forget it. Weddings became so much more interesting to me after I had one, knowing how they reflect the couple (the bride, usually) and their personalities. Well done!

Fiddle, wonder how the nightweaning is going. Don't have time to wander over to YG right now but I will. Sol is doing something so cute, when I sleep nude she nuzzles up to the boobs in the morning and plays with them, and talks about them, but doesn't try to nurse...it's very sweet. I'm always looking for ways we can still be quiet and have nice moments together like nursing...

Sherri, that sounds like fun...it is such a letdown when they leave, huh? Hope you're feeling better today.

Jacqueline in TX--I spent 3 hrs in Houston yesterday at the airport and totally thought of you lots n lots...imagined you & Gabe out there "somewhere"... we rode the interterminal trains a bunch 'cause Sol is waaaay into it...
she also ate almost an entire bean burrito (taco bell) all by herself!! This girl can put away the food!
#213 of 229 Old 11-29-2005, 02:28 PM

I looooved planning my wedding. so much fun. asaalik it is so cool seeing the things you're into and you guys make a da*n cute family!!

isaac woke up this morning at 5:40 going bah! bah! bah! (boohbah : actually i really like the show for him) i'm like it is still nighttime!!!! but there was no more sleeping going on. my mom was commenting he must be in a growth spurt because he was sleeping so long and so well and i think said growth spurt is over. the last 3 nights have been wakeful and short. i have a new eye twitch from sleeplessness ugh.

we had the 18mo appt yesterday. he is holding steady on height % and dropped about 5% in the weight. only gained a few ounces since the 15 mo appt. he had polio and dtap and only let out one aaaaghhhhh! before he realized it was over and that was it. i think i would have cried longer we'll do mmr at 2 (or after) and she was ok with skipping ckn pox. also didn't mention flu yesterday. yay

isaac is turning into a climber. i'm expecting to find him on top of the fridge soon. he figured out he could reach the lightswitches (new obsession) climbing up the wingback chair and did a total bodyslam falling off it. this morning he climbed up on the toilet to turn on the faucet. i am by nature a very 'let them explore' type mom but if he gets hurt doug will KILL me. so i reallly need to watch him more right now. he is so stereotypically boy it hurts

glad to hear about all the chow-hound babes. and the great thanksgivings

mf - that lasagne sounds soo good.

molly - i'd guess it was all those new-ness chemicals in the hotel that caused your attack. whoa. all those dang flame retardents. i don't know if they're using formaldehyde as much these days.

i need a new car. a family mobile. i have a 2door and it is just.not.working. i love and hate buying cars all at the same time. i've had this car for 4 years and no payment and it has been great. and i've been trying to cling to that because getting a new one is going to require a payment. bah. but the luxury of having a door to open to put isaac in his seat will be amazing
#214 of 229 Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 PM

ff - I DID get to the gym, but only long enough to get something in my eye (darn contacts - i only wear them to the gym and this is why - they annoy me more than anything else) and then leave. I did run into a friend (mdc mama! ) and chat with her for a while and that was nice. I shared my pg news (hadn't told her yet, she'd been outta town) and we had a good laugh over my lameness for not knowing until 20 weeks. She and I have discussed fertility and ovultion while nursing and weaning so we can get pg at GREAT lengths, so it was fun to tell her. And she offered to come and hang out with Mia during the birth and to be our childcare backup in case we need to traansfer to the hospital. She's attended many births (from the time she was quite young, actaully) and I really appreciate her offer. I feel Mia would be in good hands, and I know she knows what I want from this birth and would be very supportive of that. So yeah.... I didn't work out, but it was a worthwhile trip outta the house anyway.

Welcome home Elsanne! How cute about Sol playing with the boobies. So sweet!

jstar - are you looking to up to a 4 door, or are you thinking of taking the van plunge? I need a new car, too and I think I'm kidding myself if I think I can go much longer w/o a van. I am more than a little resistant to the switch. A VAN? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME???? Everyone I know who has one loves it, so I'm getting real with myself, checking my coolness and the door and trying to get okay with it. I can still be a cool mom and drive a van, right? RIGHT?

On that same note, I'm now researching double strollers. I ask you all again... how did this happen to me???? At this rate, I'm going to have my hipster card revolked any day now.

Oh, and Mia loves BoohBah, too. We do pretty limited tv (like when I need to get something done kinda thing) and I TiVo BoohBah, Sesamae St, and Teletubbies so I always have one of those shows available. She really prefers them to the Baby Einstein DVD's (excpe the Old MacDonald one, which she LOVES, except I lost it), so I let her watch them. She would watch any ol' cartoon that's on if I let her, but I can't stand the rest of the nonsense kids shows (I'll be damned if my child ever loves BRATZ - ugh!), so thank goodness to TiVo! Vegan nuns don't approve? I say, bring it on, sistas! You're all welcome to come and cook my family dinner and do all the laundry and keep the house clean, too. Really. Anytime.

Renae, thanks for posting the link to that recipe. Looks so good! I might just have to make it this season. I could see it becoming one of those traditional holiday dishes!

Phone call.. gotta run.
#215 of 229 Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 PM

i can't even bring myself to consider a station wagon so the van is definitely not on the list. but yanno if you need one, you need one. my coworker once turned in her van for a volvo wagon with the jump seat because she said it sucked the sex appeal right out of her. sluuuuuuuuuurp. if i had to get a van i'd want the one that looks more like an SUV. can't remember the name but my friend has one. LOTS of seats.

i need 4wd or awd for snowboarding and camping and i can't get a subaru (practical as they are)or afford a volvo or audi. i am currently the only mom in my playgroup who does not drive a subaru wagon. must.not.conform. so i want an evil suv. i can justify the gas-guzzling because i live about 2 miles from my job and my daily commute is short and sweet. i only get gas every 2-3 weeks. well unless we drive up to the mountain. which we haven't done yet and there is SNOW. an suv would be ideal--room for the kiddo, the muddy dog and the gear in the back, and good snow driving.

i'm getting depressed at prices though so i have no idea when i'll pony up to the car thing. every single time i get isaac in the car though i think i should.

i really like boohbah. i think it is genius. isaac is glued to it. cartoons and a lot of other kids programs he ignores because i think they are too busybusy. he does like teletubbies though. we dont have tivo so we're either watching it at 6:30am or we are sleeping and he recently asked for it when it wasn't the time. so hard to explain to him. boohbah and telet are the only shows we watch because by then we need to be out the door.

good luck on the double stroller search and that is cool about your friend you saw at the gym
#216 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 AM

2 miles from work, Jstar? Ummm...the vegan nuns are whispering to me that you could be walking to work.... oh yeah I guess ya gotta drop Isaac off at daycare...
#217 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 02:46 AM

Elsanne- hooray for home sweet home and attentive lover(s)! (tee hee)

Jstar- good luck with the car hunt. I'd suggest a hybrid SUV, but I'll bet the price would be astronomical.

Megan- hooray for the productive gym trip

TV: We don't watch till after he's in bed (we're Everwood fans, plus the occassional movie). At the group home, there are several TV's on all the time. Luke's main interest in the TV is finding the button that turns it off, because the clients USED to think this was hilarious and he could get a good laugh out of them. They're a bit tired of it now, but I'm pleased as a peach.

Failure to Thrive update: they want him on an NG tube. They're concerned that his height is falling off (we're talking about a miniscule 3 or 4 % drop). The whole team spoke (down to us) with two resounding messages, over and over, through the whole appointment: 1. wean. 2. feed him more junk food.
That's right. Though I explained over and over that I offer a variety of high-cal foods, and that I offer snack foods from the health food store that have the appropiate appeal of crunch, salt, and flavor, they want him to eat more cheetos, oreos, and gummie snacks. Dh left the appointment feeling that we had failed as parents for not weaning or feeding him enough junk food. During my meeting tonight, he fed Luke ice cream, gummy snacks, and Pediasure, per dr's orders.

I am SO PISSED at the dr's right now, though part of me whispers: maybe everyone's right and I'm wrong. Also: maybe his FTT -IS- serious. Maybe he needs the @#$#$%^ tube.
#218 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 PM

Oh, Beth, I could just spit! I cannot BELIEVE that junk food could possibly help your child thrive! What are they thinking??? Oh, my god. Ice cream, gummies, & pediasure? Yeaaaah. Sounds like the medical model hard at work. Feed em junk, and make sure they get their vitamin. Okaaaaay. Oh, mama. What can you do? Oh my gods. Is there an alternative practitioner you could see? You want the # of that psychic I called?
I sure wish I could wave my wand and make him plump right up. Please keep us updated on his progress. And yours.

Much love to you and yours.
#219 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 12:37 PM

Beth, I'm so shocked to hear that junk food advice! Weird. And I can't imagine what it's like to get such advice that goes against all your instincts as a mother. What are you supposed to do with that??? Argh!

But, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe this prespective will help you out. My step son has a rare urea cycle disorder (I've mentioned it briefly before) that makes him unable to digest protein. He lives on 10 grams of protein a day, plus daily medicine and an amino acid supplement. Finding foods with such low protein can be difficult, and as you can imagine, often end up being pretty junky. The kid lives on a combo of veggies, some fruit (if I can get him to eat it), cereal and junk food. Why can't he eat just veggies? Well, because they don't provide enough protein (he needs that full 10 g a day) and they certainly don't provide enough calories (he's 13, after all!), so we have to supplement with other stuff. So, it's weird to watch it in action, but it really works for his body. He is in great health otherwise, and is the only member of the family who basically NEVER gets sick (cold, flu, etc). I'm certinaly not saying that Luke should be living on Oreos (that sounds a little over the top) but there may be some food combos that go against the typical healthy diet ideal that would work for him. I don't presume to know the answer... just trying to provide an the prespective of example of a diet that works for an individual, that would not work for the average person. Take it as you will.

On that note, I gotta run. My cleaning lady is coming in half an hour and there is so much junk all over the house and I need to uncover the areas that need cleaning. :
#220 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 03:17 PM

ya - i should walk or even better...bike! i used to bike sometimes before isaac on nice summer days (from my old house out at 72nd). now i live on 45th, drive up a big hill to 60th to daycare and back down to 28th to work. all between division and burnside (if you remember the streets in ptown). it isn't bad in a car and i have done it on the bus when my car was out. but the time factor...i'd lose a lot of precious work time. i want to maximize my earnings while trying to minimize the time isaac is in daycare.

but i love how close i live to everything in my daily routine. dh is always trying to get me to move out to the hills. i'd love to live out in the middle of nowhere but i have no desire to spend hours in the car every day. noooooo thank you. it's one of the things i love most about portland.

i haven't even looked at hybrid suvs. i should check into it.

oh beth this has to be so hard. buy some trader joes jo-jos. no hydrogenated oils (or is it the hydrogenated oils they want???). i suppose if they insist on the ng tube all you can do is hope it works. and maybe it will. it would be scary but maybe it is worth trying. especially if you can use that to your advantage with the breastfeeding. do what they want with the tube as long as you can continue to nurse. strike a deal. i can't see how continuing to breastfeed would work against what the tube would be doing. he would be getting the calories the "docs" want with the tube feedings and still getting his mama love nursies is their goal with the tube to stretch his stomach? do they talk about that? do they talk about discrete milestones? how do they gauge whether it is working? volume he consumes or weight gain percentage? do they lay out a clear plan for how long they think he would have to have the tube? or what would indicate to them that it isn't making a darn difference and that plan isn't working? you have probably done a lot of research.

nothing like feeling under the gun i'm sure : good luck with all these big decisions. and glad to hear life is better with preservatives (not)
#221 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 03:21 PM

Beth, I would feel frustrated too. I'm sure you'll figure it all out, but don't think you're a bad parent cause you haven't been feeding him JUNK! Moderation is good, only hard to achieve. Megan's story is helpful....just finding the right combo of what works for you will be the challenge.

Jstar-as far as a car, we purchased a used Toyota 4Runner after G was born and have mostly been happy with it--except for the price of gas, but a 4Runner doesn't get quite as poor mileage as other SUVs. If we had to do it all over again, I think we'd try to get by on an overall smaller vehicle, but this works for now. I've heard good things about Saturn VUEs and Toyota Matrix.

elsanne-thanks for thinking of me while you were in the airport! We only live about 30 minutes from there. I'm glad you're back home and things are going well for the little fam.

Sherri-glad you had a good visit with your mom. Your holiday sounds idyllic! Very cool.

We do limited TV, also, and try to keep it off for the most part until after G goes to sleep. Though, he does like Teletubbies and Sesame Street (though SS is on at 7, so we rarely are up and ready enough to watch). Don't know when boohbah is on. I also watch "Oprah" if we're inside doing things at the time, but not every day. TV is a big weakness for me, so the fact that we're limiting it as much as we are is a triumph. It's about small steps, mamas. When my brother was here, he had the TV on non-stop all day. That was kinda annoying, but he doesn't have a TV at home and now I know why. That's all he'd do! I'd prefer to have a TV and watch it sparingly than go without and go all crazy for it when I'm around one, ya know?

Okay, he woke up, so I better go. I wish he'd take naps longer than one hour, but at least he's napping.
#222 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 06:17 PM

Hi I'm new to this thread. So please fill me in
Thankz
Sahm angelina 7 months owen 2/12 years old. : who lives on :2bfbabe:
#223 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 PM

Welcome 01veganmamma!!! Just jump on in on our conversations. We're chatty and quite silly most of the time. But also a supportive and loving group of mamas.

Fiddle- I hope you can achieve a balance that feels right for you. I can't see where feeding a kid straight junk food would be all that healthy, but perhaps an oreo or two here and there might work?

gotta go-hubby on the phone...
#224 of 229 Old 11-30-2005, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

hi 01veganmamma! we are crazy group of funky mamas of babes born in May 2004 and this is just a chat thread where we talk about the latest goings-on in our lives and such. does that answer your "fill me in" question?

glad to hear you made it back home safely, els!

and to everyone else! MMF!

there is much i want to say, but i think i will take it over to the yg later tonight, since that seems to be where the serious discussions are happening right now...

~claudia
#225 of 229 Old 12-01-2005, 03:06 AM

Elsanne- believe me, I have had visions of packing up the car and heading to Colorado to hang out with a best friend, meet KK in person, and avoid the stupid FTT team here in PDX. But sadly, I think they've got my number and I don't really think it's an option to skip town or even do alternative therapy.

Megan- thanks for the story. It's easy for me to feel polarized on issues, and as Sheri said, perhaps there's a place for moderation here. At least that's what my dh keeps telling me. D&%n that man is wonderful. Even when we disagree, he's so good at being respectful about it (me not so much )

Claudia- hello you wonderful mama!

Jstar- I really appreciate your thoughts. I think I need to stop thinking of needing the tube as a failure or as torture to Luke, but as an option. And if it's between weaning or the ng tube, I pick the tube. Part of me thinks, am I taking this EBF thing too far? I'd rather have my son on a feeding tube than wean? But then again weaning is no garantee of avoiding the tube, and weaning is forever. And nursing is so wonderful in so many ways and I'm not feeling ready to give it up and I KNOW Luke isn't feeling ready. Right now when he has a cold I so much appreciate how it is warm liquid, it is medicine, it is calories when he doesn't feel like eating, and it is comfort, all rolled into one. Give that up? No thanks, not ready.

Jacqueline- I'm kinda like your brother. We keep our TV behing a closet door because I physically cannot turn it off. DH has to. Congratulations on discovering your ability to be moderate with it.

Whew- got my may mama fix. I can face the night.
#226 of 229 Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 PM

Beth-I'm freaking out!!!!! This goes against everything I know about weight gain and nutrition...all junk food does is put on an unhealthy weight in my experience...and that ffod is loaded with all sorts of things that are very harmful (partially-hydrogenated fats, artificial colors, MSG, GMOs, the list goes on...) I think you should totally follow your gut, increase the amount of HEALTHY fats and calories in Luke's diet...add oils like olive and hemp to his meals? Try whey? I don't know if he can do that stuff, but it would seem that anything's better than junk...especially CHEETOS, jesus! Anyway, big hugs and hope all works out...we're at each other a bit over at my place, basically I asked for Ben to watch Tao while I teach (it's a total of about 3 hours a week) and he's hemmin and hawin and BSing about how difficult it is and all that mess...I feel like clawing his eyes out sometimes. Does this sound strange? Do any of you get a break? Am I crazy?!

Married to: Benjamin 5/4/06, Mom to 2 boys: Tao 5/5/04 and Ishan 7/8/09
#227 of 229 Old 12-01-2005, 02:17 PM

Aasalik---bs indeed! Early on I didn't get much in the way of breaks,but more and more as she is older. DH takes over after dinner and does the bath/book reading routine. And usually one day on the weekend I'll go out for 2-3 hours to shop/window shop/drive/do nothing! 3 hours to teach a class sounds more than reasonable---are there specific concerns he has or does he just need Tao's routine/likes/dislikes spelled out for him? I used to have to leave specific meal ideas, eating times, toy preferences, etc. but he has the hang of it now.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#228 of 229 Old 12-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Hey all, I started our new thread (wow!) You can get to it here:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=377559

Last year, when I took the work out of the home role that is traditionally the husband's and my wife was the SAHM, I can say that I would have been beaten to death if I so much as hinted that my wife shouldn't take at LEAST a few hours a week to do whatever she wanted. So, if you are feeling at all guilty for asking for some time every week, Asaalik, I say DON'T. If you want to know how to get your husband to step in without complaint, I can't help you except to say that he probably needs to vent through the transition and express his frustration with how difficult it is. It IS hard, but given time he will likely be totally happier that he is taken a more balanced approach to his partnership in parenting with you.
#229 of 229 Old 12-04-2005, 04:54 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page