My child is changing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-06-2003, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the past two weeks I'm amazed by the changes in my dd, who has gone from being challenging and intense to being more balanced, reasonable, and empathetic. It's really true what they say about approaching the third birthday-she's a total delight to be with! Not that I minded her intense and demanding phase, but this feels like such a breath of fresh air. I also feel like she has this incredible love for me because I let her be herself. When she runs up to me and throws her arms around me out of the blue it feels like it's in gratitude--man, is it great!!!

Just wanted to share my happiness. I just love her so much.
#2 of 6 Old 01-06-2003, 05:21 AM

That's so cool. Thanks for sharing. It provided a nice "light at the end of the tunnel" for me. I am in the midst of intenseville with my 20 month-old. She is such a me-centric little diva. I feel like J.Lo's personal assistant most days.

Denny
#3 of 6 Old 01-06-2003, 09:17 PM

Ladylee,

Thanks for sharing.

If I may share as well. My son went through a stage where he imitated my moments of not so perfect parenting:. This weekend for the first time he insisted on bringing one of his stuffed animals on our outing. He carried the dragon around and spoke to it just as I talk to him. It brought tears to my eyes.
#4 of 6 Old 01-06-2003, 11:37 PM

lee, that's so great! i am in the middle of total intensity w/my dd, so like dentente said, it's nice to hear about the light at the end of the tunnel!!! it is so ephemeral isn't it?

#5 of 6 Old 01-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Banned

Thank you for sharing, Lee. That's wonderful. It's also very encouraging to hear. I love having a 16-month-old very much, I love the energy, the affection, the boundless learning, the personality. But it is truly draining. I don't think I've ever experienced anything so tiring as mothering a toddler.

I've also discovered a new well of disappointment in myself. I have reacted to her in ways that I don't like (nothing serious, but I thought the first serious temptation to yell at her would be when she was much older--I was wrong). It's good to have this motivation to keep parenting gently.
#6 of 6 Old 01-07-2003, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

thank you, everyone--and it's still going on! i can talk to her and reason with her and she will listen to me and still be happy! i can't believe it!

greenfrogs-s--i should say i did some behavior modification on my part, too about two months ago--i'm sure it has an effect so i know what you're talking about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page