toddler weight issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-06-2003, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
she's never been a chunky baby, but even more than ever i'm feeling pressure from family that dd is too small. i think it's the clothes she got for xmas that are hanging off of her lack-of-a-waist. at 17 months, she's only 21 pounds, but nice and tall, and from looking at her past photos, i can see her face has really thinned out since her first birthday.
i still nurse her and she shows no signs of slowing and no signs of loving to eat food. mealtimes are a stress.
she seems healthy enough, but isn't gaining weight like she used to. Is there a point when toddlers slow down the weight gain? or are there non-growing spurts like there are growing ones? at what point to bf babies/toddlers start to even out with formula fed babies?
i know it's not good to compare, but it's hard to not worry about someone you love so much!
#2 of 15 Old 01-06-2003, 01:38 PM

my girl is also 17 months.

at 8 months old, she weighed 21 lbs.

at 15 months, she weighed 22 lbs.

she's always been top of the charts in height and head circumference. but she slowed way down in the weight dept and just got taller, and her head got bigger. However, I weighed her a couple weeks ago and she now
weighs 26 lbs!

For the longest time she really only wanted milk and fruit and yucky gerber graduate snacks, which I fed her, since that's all she liked. Now she eats really well, I am so psyched. When I was very concerned about it, I asked the dr. who told me that as long as the head is growing, its not a big deal. the brain needs lots and lots of calories, and so mostly all of my girls were going to her brain. One thing that helped us get the girl to at least try to eat, was giving her lots of different foods. Shredded cheese is a good one, high in calories and protein, grapes are a fave, scrambled eggs, mac & cheese (there is a Simply Organic mac and cheese that even I find edible), spaghetti, really fun to eat stuff, thats what I look for. I've bought campbells' chicken noodle soup just because it had gold fish shaped pasta in it. my girl gets really psyched about stuff like that.
but my dr said to me, she knows what she needs. keep offering, but dont freak. 20-22 lbs is not dangerous. dehydration is dangerous, so is vitamin deficiency...but your bebe sounds like she'll come around when she's ready.

xoxo
#3 of 15 Old 01-06-2003, 02:39 PM

My DS was 22lbs at one year, 22lbs at 18 months, 23lbs at 2 years, and just recently went up to 25lbs (he's 28 months). Your daughter doesn't sound small to me at all, she seems very average. All kids are different and if she's happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry. Tell your family that she's happy and healthy, so they don't need to worry, either. In my experience, the ones who comment that she's too small or thin would also have a lot to say if they decided she was too big or heavy. :
Expect her eating to get even more picky and weird. Toddlers are notorious for this, and there's not much you can do to force them to eat. If you press and stress about it, she'll refuse even more. My DS is well into his second year and it's a lot easier to list what he WILL eat than what he WON'T eat. I give him a multi-vitamin, I don't let him eat junk except for an occasional treat, and I offer healthy things to him all day long. He eats well some days, not so well on others, but he is doing fine, growing, happy and healthy. Be glad your little one still nurses, she is getting a lot of good stuff from your milk. Stop stressing, she sounds very normal to me.
One more thing: your daughter is maturing and growing, and you will notice that her face thins and becomes less "baby" like. This isn't because she's sick or too thin! It's because she is growing up! I can't believe my tall, skinny 2 year old is the same chuncky 12-month old he used to be when I look at old photos. It's one of the things that amazes you-you never think you'll forget that baby face but it's hard for me to even remember my son the way he was as an infant.
#4 of 15 Old 01-06-2003, 06:36 PM

I think your dd is fine - my oldest dd is 3 years, 3 months old and she weights 28 lbs! (for comparison, her younger sister is 20 months and weights 26 lbs).

My oldest dd was just never a big eater - and still isn't. Younger dd will eat all the time if you let her (she's also going to be taller than her older sister, so I think that's part of it).

I do worry - it's hard not to when you are a mom. But she eats a good variety of things, no junk, and I do supplement with vitamins, just to be on the safe side. I figure that kids know what they need, and as long as we are providing healthy food for them to choose from, then we are doing our job.

I do try to push higher calorie healthy things (avocado, cheese, banana bread, etc) with dd1...

But I can sympathize with eating being a struggle. Sometimes I get so tired of having to work so hard to make sure dd1 eats enough. I really think she would just forget to eat altogether if I didnt' remind her. :
#5 of 15 Old 01-06-2003, 07:51 PM

If this were the smallest baby contest, I'd have you all beat! At her 18 month check-up, she weighed less than 20 lbs. Try not to worry about it!!!! My in-laws are the world's worst when it comes to guilt about breastfeeding and how small my baby is. At this age, it's more genetics than anything you could be doing.

You know, those growth charts don't mean a thing. There has to be someone at the 1% and 99% or averages would be totally meaningless.

edited to add:
Don't even compare your healthy breastfed baby with any formula babies! You realize that formula has more sugar in it than anything else? Sure, you could fatten up any child by stuffing them with sugary food, but would that make them any healthier?!?
#6 of 15 Old 01-06-2003, 09:29 PM

My 30 month old weighs 23 pounds! However, gaining weight seems to be the only thing he does slowly these days. I didn't reach 100 pounds until my first year of college so I'm figuring he takes after me.
#7 of 15 Old 01-07-2003, 02:25 AM

My ds weighs 211/2lbs at 17mos. He is a very busy guy! On the go! Dh is small! WE aren't worried about it!

My little niece weighs 25lbs at 4and1/2 yrs!!! She is the tiniest,cutest little thing you ever did see!! And super smart! And fiesty!!!!!!!

Don't worry....keep doing what you are!

mamapoppins
#8 of 15 Old 01-07-2003, 12:07 PM

I have a peanut myself. She's almost 18 months and weights 17 pounds!!!! I think I win. I had docs freak out and wanted me to put her in the hospital to be tube fed! I had to sign an AMA (Against medical advise) She's breastfed, eats organic food, but not alot, only has had a few colds, and developementally she's ahead. They tested her when her weight became a big deal. Her only "symptom" is that she's small. I did allow blood tests and they came back fine. You know 50 years ago, you know what they would have said? She's small...don't worry about it!

Look at the genetics in your family. I am 5'3 and 102 pounds. My grandmother was told my mother was going to die because she was so small...

Is your lil' one healthy? developmentally OK?

Holly
#9 of 15 Old 01-07-2003, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! It's so good to hear that other people have small tots too. I've decided that whenever I hear someone tell me how small she is, I'm going to respond something like "...but mighty. she'd run you ragged in a matter of minutes!" which is totally true! Or when I get nagged about her not eating very much, i'll make some comment like "OK. YOU start changing diapers then!"
Developmentally she's been fine. Not talking yet, but physically ahead of the game.
stafl, you're right. someone does have to be at the 1% mark and the 99% mark to build those chart-- seems like everyone i know is at the high end! actually i read somewhere on the lll website about growth charts for bf babes (if anyone is interested), but i didn't think that much of them.
#10 of 15 Old 01-07-2003, 06:00 PM

I tell people what she lacks in size she has in spirit...she is all fire!!!!
well, you know "well behaved women rarely make history" and my lil' baby girl is going to rock this world!!!!

Holly
#11 of 15 Old 01-07-2003, 06:20 PM

At last checkup, DD was 32 pounds. She's 2 years old as of Sept. 25, 2002

The checkup b4 last she made a big dip up on the chart and Ped said to watch with the weight. The next visit (this last one) he said that he wasn't worried about her weight AT ALL. "She's beefy", he said.

I think my former Ped is biased toward thinner as the "norm". I see him assuring moms with petite or tall and thin babes all the time that they are just fine. My gorgeous babe is not his idea of what babes look like.

Anyways, you just can't win! Thin or "beefy" SOMEONE is going to have a problem with it. Please don't let it be your problem.
#12 of 15 Old 01-07-2003, 07:03 PM

My dd was 21 lbs at 11 months...she's 19 months now and just hit 23 lbs. She's tall and fairly slender and definitely has the more slender "little girl" face rather than a round baby face.

It's funny because my best friend and I have dd's the same age and her baby is the opposite, very round and babyish looking. It's startling to see the differences!

I wouldn't worry a bit...

My dd is also a nibbler, but I make sure she gets a variety of healthy stuff.
#13 of 15 Old 01-07-2003, 07:49 PM

My dd was 18lbs at 12 mo., and is 24lbs at 2 yrs. She's active, eats like crazy, but is just thin. I was exactly like this. I've been healthy, and in great shape my whole life.

You're doing a great job! Don't let other people make you feel bad.

My ds is the total opposite. He was 24lbs at a year, and he's about a foot taller than dd(they're 19 mo. apart), so it is funny to see them next to each other.

But hey, genetics, and all that, you know? Ds is obviously going to take after my husband and my brother (big, tall men) and ds is probably going to be more like me and my mom. Slender, yet tall.

As long as they're healthy, eating and going to the bathroom, I don't worry at all.
#14 of 15 Old 01-08-2003, 12:22 AM

Hey!
My son was born on 9/25/00 too! ;o)
And guess what? At his 2 year check up he was 34 pounds. No one has ever said anything to me about his weight (as if I'd care anyway).
I just think we are who we are... Why docs and others freak out is beyond me. I mean, no one really bothers a 5'5 110 pound man do they?? They just say that he's small, kwim?
My son is also very picky but this is just how toddlers are. I seriously doubt any toddler has gotten sick or even died from not getting a huge variety in their diets, wether they're big OR small.
I have to admit it bothers me sometimes when there are days when he only wants to eat macaroni or yogurt, but I get over it. I know in time that he'll expand his diet more and I just don't push the issue. Personally I think pushing the issue is what causes some kids to have food aversions or makes them not want to try new things.
For now though the kid breaks my back! Sometimes if I pick him up and groan he'll hear me and go "I weigh frotty pounds!" Because I usually say "WHY DO YOU WEIGH FOURTY POUNDS!?!" Well he's not quite that heavy but man does he feel like it.
On another note I love his cheekies There's nothing like kissing his warm cheeks after he nurses... nothing at all! They're so fat and warm. *sigh* I love my little guy )
Take care all!
Karen and Tristan
#15 of 15 Old 01-08-2003, 12:51 AM

I've been following this thread with interest: Dd was big at birth but now taking more after me - getting longer and thinner with a slowdown in weight gain.

When I was 47 pounds toward late elementary school (I don't remember excactly how old), my older sister took this quote from Shakespere about Lady Macbeth: Though she be little, she be fierce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page