Help me brainstorm up some ideas here!! It's tough being little and there must be some ways to help make life less frustrating.
1. Create a 'yes' environment
2. Ensure that she/he knows what to expect from the day (routine and rhythm to the day)
4. Soothing baths
5. Foster creativity thru fingerpainting/artwork
6. Provide stimulation thru planned activity (like the weekly toddler activities)
7. Teach sign language so that she/he can communicate even if she/he doesnt have verbal skills to do so
8. Age appropriate toys available
9. Adult available to explain things and assist as needed
Okay, that's a start. I'm sure that other mama's have some great ideas to contribute
11. Allow toddler to help with as many of the daily chores/tasks as possible (butter own toast, pour own juice-with help, help with dishes, etc.). This helps my ds feel like part of the proceedings instead of just a helpless observer.
Choices, choices, choices! This doesn't always work, but I've found that if I can find a way to let my son be in charge things go much more smoothly. I've gotton pretty good at coming up with choices for situations where you would think there couldn't be any! Us moms have to be resourceful. Also, I can't stress enough how much just really being there for him and focused on him helps to tame the tantrums (but I'm sure you all know that, lol).