Neat eating - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-06-2003, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what point in time can I expect my 30 month old daughter to use a spoon or fork to eat with. I'm about to rip out my hair! She'll use it fo the first three bites then use her hands for everything from rice to yogurt.
#2 of 3 Old 01-06-2003, 09:42 PM

IME~
sure, if you keep giving her gentle reminders to use her fork, or if you get some cool looking fork and spoon set maybe she will use it....

30mo children sometimes lack the hand muscles though, to be able to carry out holding a spoon or fork through an entire meal....maybe give her lots of finger food options as well as say, yogurt, then explain that she needs to use the spoon for the yogurt...

just an idea
#3 of 3 Old 01-07-2003, 02:36 AM

Yea, it's kinda embarrassing isn't it. Our ds at 39 mos still prefers hands, though he is skilled with a fork. He finally gets it that rice really works best on a spoon, but noodles are always by hand. I think he likes the feel of his food and likes the speed in which he can get it into his mouth, so we don't bug him too much. We always keep a washcloth at the table to wipe hands after meals. Really messy stuff, like syrupy things, he will use a fork. Patience, patience. A good eater, which mine is not, to me would be worth having over a messy eater. If he is interested and interacting with his food, my hope is that he will eat better. he is still a bare noodles kinda kid (no sauces). We also make a lot (we... I mean my dh) of our own stuff (pasta, bread) so that he sees us handling it a lot with our hands before we eat it. He likes to touch all the stuff we cook. People learn all sorts of ways, tactile is a key one.

What about playdough to help get the feelies out before dinner? We also let our ds set the table and use any fork he picks for himself (he likes the adult sized ones).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page