At what age do you get rid of the *baby* toys? Like rattles,teethers,etc... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2003, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to clean out ds toy baskets, and am wondering if I should keep some of the baby rattles and teethers,etc...he rarely plays with them...but maybe he might if the're stillthere.

He is almost 18 mos.

TIA
mamapoppins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2003, 03:41 AM

My take, now into the second child, is less is more. And less stuff equals a happier mom. Yea, stuff can be fun to unload from a box, but blocks could fulfill that need. If you think their time is done...then to the local charity for them. If the child needs to chew, they will find something (like a wood block) and the teether isn't necessary. Harsh but well-meant (just don't come looking too close at my toy baskets...there may be one teether still lurking there).
Old 01-07-2003, 01:56 PM

I take old toys away when she quits playing with them. This xmas, I cleaned out her toybox and used those rattles and other small infant toys as decorations on our tree! Now they are in the closet with other decorations, and DD hasn't noticed their absence at all.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

CindiC- You're right! I am trying to simplify everyday...I've been keeping a bag in my lvg rm and everyday tossing at least one thing(or group of things) in it if we are not using it! Less stuff to manage and pickup!

Stafl- I love your idea to decorate the Christmas tree with baby toys!

I did go through and toss out many baby toys today! Of course right before I got done, ds woke up and was all excited about this *new* bag of toys he sees! After a couple of screams, along with"ooo's and aahhh's",he convinced me to leave a couple out for him!:

Funny thing also was that dd saw some of the toys and said how special they are to our family! So sentimental!

mamapoppins
Old 01-09-2003, 04:57 PM

I've been boxing them up for #2, but along the way, DS "rediscovered" them and has found new uses for them.

Most end up in bathtub, but we do an awful lot of fishing that way!

Another odd one, is one of those rattles that has a suction cup on the bottom so it stays in one place, and then the top part twirls around. This is stuck to the side of the tub and DS has a great time making it turn by pouring water on it with cups!

But I do agree that less is more. We get a lot of well-meaning gifts that are just too boring -- ie you can't really interact with them, or they don't do what they say, so now we don't always open them, but donate them to goodwill. I never say anything to the giver and I feel badly, but at the same time, after DS's Christmas we had this whole box of plastic toys he wouldn't even play with -- it was balls, balls, balls and building blocks.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:45 PM

Saramama - I would have much preferred DD get balls and blocks for xmas! Those are her all-time favorites and would get lots of play time in our house. Instead, everyone gave her these awful light-up, talking, musical electronic toys that she really liked for a day or two and now just throws them across the room!
I think we have that exact same (or at least very similar) suction cup toy in our bathtub. It was on the tree, but DD decided it was one she wanted to start playing with again.

And I got the idea for using toys on the tree because I couldn't bring myself to hang glass ornaments on it just in case DD decided to grab one (which she definitely would have done) and the tree looked so naked! I had to find something to put on it! Toys were as good as anything, and maybe a long time from now, grandchildren will have fun playing with them.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:59 PM

Stafl, I know what you mean. DS received some hideously loud toys from well meaning (unmarried, non parent) uncles and a clueless aunt (mother???!!!). He is somewhat interested in them, so we put strapping tape over the speakers, which tones them down to the safe level. But they are still boring and still obnoxious.

One of the best gifts we gave him were these wooden kitchen and hardware sets I found at Target last summer on clearance for $7. They are great quality and are so interactive we are always playing with them. Target seems to carry a nice variety of wooden toys and clearances stuff fairly quickly, so you can find stuff pretty cheap that's nice.

PS I love the tree decorating idea! Somewhere in my pre baby days I bought a ton of wooden ornaments after the holidays, so those were the only ones we used.

User Tag List