Best toddler play kitchen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-13-2005, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering getting DS a play kitchen. I'd prefer it be wood or mostly wood. Can anyone reccomend one? I don't want to spend a ton of money because we are on a budget. Links to websites would be great

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 12:16 AM
cjr

I want to make ds a table top one. We had a big one for the girls and it was so in the way. I have seen simple wooden table top ones that would be pretty easy to make. A flat board on top with a lip. Screw some knobs on the lip and some round wood peices painted black for the cook tops. Then he can sit at his toddler table in the kitchen and pretend to cook with me and use the rest of the table for his "supplies".
#3 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 01:34 AM

Magic Cabin has a "Mini Kitchen" in their catalog. It's around $80, which is the best price I've seen for something that has doors that open (which seems to be our girls' favorite part when they play with kitchens elsewhere)and some accessories. It is made almost entirely of wood.

I ordered one the other day and haven't received it yet so I don't know how great it is, but I was excited because it is small and we don't have much space.

I'm not sure how to post a link, but if you go to magiccabin.com and search for mini kitchen I think it'll come up.

Alisa, mama to Ella and Isabel (1/03)
#4 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 01:39 AM

I got this for my son last year. It is amazing, so sturdy. On casters. Very very well made, even for school's use so you know it can handle a lot. He still plays with it daily. I love that is has everything in one. he has some play pots and food and I placed it in the kitchen so he can cook while I do. The sinks tub comes out. The varnishes are environmentally friendly and it comes packaged in a recycled box and it is put together, no assembly required. I also love that they use piano hinges so no pinching possibilities.

http://www.ecmdstore.com/product/product.asp?sku=4922
#5 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 01:43 AM

Check Craig's List. By checking frequently (okay, obsessively ) I was able to find a used Elves and Angels Winter Loft Kitchen for $100 and a Waldorf style fridge new with a defective magnet latch (easily fixed) for another $100.
#6 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 02:17 AM

What's Craig's list?
#7 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 AM

We ordered ours already. We chose the one that was featured in the insert magazine in the new Mothering issue. I think it was Nova Natural Toys. We got the best deal. We priced alot of other kitchens and for the size it really was the most fairly priced. It was $229, which was a little out of our price range but shipping was included in the price.

Check out Rosie Hippo and the Natural Family Boutique for comparisons. Hope this helps.....happy hunting.

Cecily
#8 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycatholic
What's Craig's list?
An online community of sorts
#9 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
Magic Cabin has a "Mini Kitchen" in their catalog. It's around $80, which is the best price I've seen for something that has doors that open (which seems to be our girls' favorite part when they play with kitchens elsewhere)and some accessories. It is made almost entirely of wood.

I ordered one the other day and haven't received it yet so I don't know how great it is, but I was excited because it is small and we don't have much space.

I'm not sure how to post a link, but if you go to magiccabin.com and search for mini kitchen I think it'll come up.

Alisa, mama to Ella and Isabel (1/03)
We have this one from Magic Cabin -

Magic Cabin Kitchen

DD loves it and it was much cheaper than the almost exact kitchen from Oompa that appears to no longer be there. The only difference was the oven was on the opposite side. It's all wood except for the window of the oven. Very sturdy, easy to put together and dd loves it.
#10 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 01:42 PM

I LOVE the solid pine ones from ROsie Hippo and Magic cabin but I just can't justify spending that kind of money.
On another thread here somebody mentioned that Costco has a wooden kitchen set for $94. And we RAN to get one. You can also order them online. They are painted wood and not as classical in design as the natural style kitchen sets. But they are all wood and sturdy and are much nicer than the plastic ones.
My kids played with the one in the store and loved it.
So if you are watching your wallet I would strongly suggest this one.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11068941
#11 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I really like the one I got ds from www.willowtoys.com.

It was a little pricy but I did a search for them on ebay and found that the company sells them there for like $50 less and free shipping. It is really well made and really simple.
#12 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 02:10 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#13 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi
I just ordered this KidKraft Island Play Kitchen for DS for Christmas. It comes in Primary or Pastel. I don't have any space left against a wall, so I especially like that this is an island design.
This is the one I'm leaning towards.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#14 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 02:30 PM

Kidcraft is the manufacturer of the one at Costco.
The above island kitchen looks really neat!
#15 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johub
Kidcraft is the manufacturer of the one at Costco.
The above island kitchen looks really neat!
I found it here for $125 + $12.99 for shipping

http://store.platinumgalleria.com/ki...d-primary.html

#16 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 03:17 PM

We have the Small World Toys stove and sink one:
http://creativebrainsonline.com/smwotosmwoli.html

It's made out of rubber wood. We've had ours a year now, and it is DS's favorite thing. He plays with it more than his train table, even. I like that the sink is removable, and that the cabinet under the sink can store lots of play food.

Have fun shopping!

-Erin

p.s. You can probably find a better price than the one above...

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#17 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 03:44 PM

OMG - DS totally loves play kitchens @ play groups. thanks for the great ideas!

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#18 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 09:14 PM

We just got one from constructive playthings but we haven't put it together yet

http://www.constplay.com/cgi-bin/constplay_cgi.sh/WService=constplay/constplay.com/family/product.htm?stateInfo=pcmcyNzHijCzlddd3623|3&dept_ id=26&pf_id=KRP-35L&parent_id=0&call_prog=dept&page=1&qty=1

The one I would have gotten if money was no issue and I could justify spending 6oo dollars on a play kitchen instead of donating it to a more worthy cause then my daughter's playroom is this one from pottery barn kids

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com//cat/...1175&cmsrc=kwd
#19 of 35 Old 11-14-2005, 09:40 PM

My all time favorite wooden play kitchens are the ones made by Elves & Angels

Another good alternative one is Little Colorado If you find one of their retailers, you can usually get it cheaper than you can on their site.

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#20 of 35 Old 11-15-2005, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian
I'm considering getting DS a play kitchen. I'd prefer it be wood or mostly wood. Can anyone reccomend one? I don't want to spend a ton of money because we are on a budget. Links to websites would be great
Thanks for starting this thread.
#21 of 35 Old 11-15-2005, 03:32 AM

I recently made one for my daughter and wanted to post some helpful links (for buying one and making your own):

-Target.com was selling a wooden stove/sink combo for $40. Not sure if it's still available
-Instructions on Lowes.com for making your own: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...htNavHomeDecor
-Pictures and instructions from a very creative mama who used cabinets from ikea and converted them into a very neat kitchen for her kids http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ode=full&page=
-Kitchen made from a box. I made one of these with my toddler and she LOVED it to pieces, literally. It was a great project to do together and when it finally fell apart, we decide it was time for the real deal. This is an inexpensive way to find out if your child will be into a kitchen or not. http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and...&craftid=11093
-A play kitchen easily assembled from stacking shelves http://familyfun.go.com/decorating-i...02_proj_kitch/

Hope these links inspire some of you to give it a shot yourselves. My daughter (2.5) and I had great fun designing and putting together her kitchen.
#22 of 35 Old 11-15-2005, 01:19 PM

This one at Target has free shipping:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000AQADDS

I really like this one too:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000BKEMTO

It's a total knock-off of this one from pottery barn, which I absolutely love (along with the pink one someone posted above!!)

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/cat/p...7Cak&gids=c280

My DH made one for our ds for his birthday this year. We just looked at the dimensions of the ones we like online (and actually we made it a little deeper so we'd have more storage). It took him like four hours and he has NO "woodworking" experience! I painted it (and it's still actually a work in progress , I keep thinking of cute things to add!.
#23 of 35 Old 11-16-2005, 04:05 AM

I also got the Willow toys kitchen for my DS, and it is beautiful. He likes to pretend to cook majiang tiles in it much more than he likes cooking his pretend food. He also likes to take the sink out and pull a play silk in and out of the big hole where the sink goes.

It's really cute, and looks great in the play room.
#24 of 35 Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 PM

Brewgirl,

I loved your links............wish I had seen them before I bought one, but oh well. Thanks for sharing
#25 of 35 Old 11-18-2006, 11:15 AM

I did a search and found this old thread helpful, so I thought I'd bump it for any other moms who might be looking for tips this holiday season!
#26 of 35 Old 11-18-2006, 02:38 PM

I'm oogling this one from Guidecraft (and thinking about getting it from a coop, which makes it more affordable): kitchenette

I love the links for the DIY! We're trying to decide whether to buy or make one. Knowing us, it will be cheaper to buy one by the time we add all the do-dads and custom paint job!
#27 of 35 Old 11-18-2006, 02:56 PM

We have this one:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000BKEMTO

Actually, ours is slightly different, the target Play Wonder one, but I don't see it on their website right now.

The magic cabin one is really cute.

If I was on a smaller budget, I'd do the table top ones. We got one for a friend and it's cute.

http://www.target.com/gp/search.html...index%3Dtarget

There are two table tops there, they make a sink too.
#28 of 35 Old 11-18-2006, 05:14 PM

Thank you SO much for posting this thread. I had been planning on getting my DS a wooden kitchen for Christmas, since he takes my pots and pans, fills them with his plastic animals and "bakes" them beneath his table for me. I had my eye on the one from target, since my budget is under $100, but I just fell in love with and ordered the one from Magic Cabin. Thanks for posting the link. I just love that little kitchen and I know my boy will too!

Carrie
#29 of 35 Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 AM

we have this one from "small world" (the oven and sink one) it's ALL wood as are the fridge and other items. you can probably get it cheaper if you go to ebay or something.

here's the link:
http://www.kidcore.com/manufacturer.aspx?manufactID=11
#30 of 35 Old 11-19-2006, 02:06 AM

We love our Angels & Elves kitchen, It is perfect for small spaces, all wood, and very simple. Got it for $50 at a flea market, but found it ahead of time via craigslist. it didn't come up on a wood search though, because the seller used the word pine instead of wood - so keep that in mind when searching places like CL or ebay.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page