Would you send your 1 yr old on vacation for a WEEK with your parents w/o you? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you?
Yes 12 2.93%
No 393 96.09%
We already did it 4 0.98%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2005, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yes this is a question I actually saw on another board. Please tell me i'm not the only one who would say HECK NO!

edited to add the amount of time

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2005, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont think theres anything wrong with it at all, as long as your parents would take great care of your little one.

But that said, there is NO WAY I could do it, personally.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:21 PM

I couldn't do it.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It depends on how long... but if I trusted my parents to take good care and felt confident that my babe would be happy, then sure.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:23 PM

Nope, I wouldn't. Don't care how 'well they'd take care of him/her', I simply wouldn't. It doesn't sit right with me period.

Hell, I didn't like my MIL taking my DSS on vacation alone when he was 8 years old for 10 days...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 PM

no! i didn't even like leaving her with a very close friend for 6 hours when i went back to school, she was 1 year old. i just can't imagine not being with her for a week. even now, she is 3 and it is hard to be away from her for 14 hours when i work 2 nights a week.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:27 PM

No....Angelo nurses too much to go!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 11-17-2005, 07:29 PM

i voted yes but my kids were in the backround kind of annoying me so i think that influenced my vote!

i would be more comfortable at two years old. my girls take turns staying over night at my folks house and they love it and i love it. i think its really great for them.......but a week would be weird. but my 5 year old could go on a vacation with my folks anytime for a week or so and i wouldnt have to think twice.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 PM

My DS is 4 and I would strongly contemplate now. At 1 I think My DS was too needy for ME I BF and so no...But maybe when older.Good luck with your decision

Wife, Mama , Daughter, Best Friend, Manicurist.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:31 PM

No way!

DH has a work "boondoggle" trip to Mexico for 8 days in January. It's one of those trips that's for spouses too and I'm expected to attend. I told DH NO WAY would I even consider going without DD. I made him ask his company if we could bring DD and they said yes! They are even paying for her flight. We are so happy. Sorry to hi jack the thread, I am just so excited that we don't have to struggle over this decison and we get an all expense paid, family vacation!
Old 11-17-2005, 07:33 PM

No way! SHe still nurses! She would spend all night screaming when she woke up and I wasn't there to nurse or rock her - she even cries if it's her daddy, although she settles in quickly.

Not to mention I get worn out taking care of her - my parents would need a second vacation afterword. It would be a total shock to their system to be incharge of Robin 24/7

I might let them keep her one night if there were some special circumstances, or if I were hospitalized for some reason. But NO WAY a full week.
But I would love it if they were close enough to keep her some evenings so DH and I could have a date night. ANd my mom has stayed with us when I've been sick, which has been a true lifesaver. My parents love her dearly and I trust them with most things - they LOVE the chance to spend time with her. But this would not be in her best interest, and would make my parents crazy.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:44 PM

Absolutely not. No way. Never.

My babes still got 75-85% of their nutrition from breastfeeding at one year, and were definitely not sleeping through the night.

DD is almost 4 now and I *might* consider letting her go with Gramma and Grandpa for a little trip, but no younger than that.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:35 PM

No way, no how.

-Angela
Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope, not a chance.

I know my parents would take great care of him, that's not the issue. He is not ready to be away from me overnight, much less for a week! Besides, my mom isn't lactating.

OTOH, my step-sis just did this, vacation for a week with the grandparents switching off watching the kids. To each their own, ya know.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 11-17-2005, 08:54 PM

Not in this lifetime.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:56 PM

My one yo DD is too young to go away from her family for a week. She nurses too much and she is still a baby.

She wouldnt understand why there is no mommy, daddy and sisters. IMO way to confusing and terrifing for such a young child who cant understand.

It make me almost to think about it
Old 11-17-2005, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wouldn't be comfortable with that before age 4 or 5- MAYBE age 3 if the child had already weaned.

Of course, it's a moot point since my parents live downstairs from me.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 11-17-2005, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My SIL did this at six weeks. Had been nursing. Didn't leave enough pumped milk, didn't care. My kids are two and four and I'd have a hard time leaving them with my mom (who lives with us) for more than 18 hours. Had to with dd (18mos)when ds was born (planned homebirth, midwife didn't believe I was in labor, she left and I delivered at the hospital a couple of hours later), but it was at dd's own home, and under extreme duress on my part. And for one night. A WEEK? I really wonder what goes through some people's heads when they consider their level of responsibility in raising the children they birthed. I think some people pump em out because it's the cool thing to do...without considering the level of personal input it should/will involve. When my kids are seven or eight, I'll think about it seriously! Not that I don't trust my mom as a caregiver...they're simply attachment parented, and none of us would benefit from being apart that long.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM

I would absolutely positively not do this. I do know lots of people IRL who would and have, when their child was even younger too.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 11-17-2005, 09:09 PM

I couldn't do it. Heck, I usually miss her too much after being apart for a couple of hours, and she's 2 years old.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:11 PM

No. I'm still not comfortable leaving dd for more than an hour or two, so there's no way a week would be okay with me. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not my parents or dh's parents would take good care of dd, because I'm sure they would. I think that a one year old still needs his/her mama.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:12 PM

At one year my *baby* is still nursing for a majority of her nourishment and that's way too early to be away from mama for that long. So, that said,

NO WAY! (especially considering dd's grandparents!!!)
Old 11-17-2005, 09:27 PM

nope, not a chance in h e double hockey sticks.

I think I'd just miss him, not to mention the fact that he nurses about 1000 times a day still.

although on the flip side, I sure wouldn't mind that much time alone with DH again - - we are TTC #2 after all

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 PM

I just don't think I could handle it, a whole week away from my peanut!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:41 PM

no, no, and um, no.

Dd is nursing so obviously it just wouldn't work, but even if she wasn't nursing, I wouldn't let her go on a whole week vacation without me. I trust my parents with her, but it wouldn't be in her best intrest to let her go. She's too young to enjoy ANY vacation really, especially one without her primary caregiver. I can't imagine my parents wanting to separate us either though....just seems strange to me.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 11-17-2005, 09:41 PM

Nope. No way, no how. I love my parents, and they're wonderful grandparents, but at just a year old (next week!!!), Q still cosleeps and night-nurses, not to mention daytime nursing. It's a significant percentage of her nutrition and a great source of comfort.

And, quite frankly, I'm not ready yet!!! We haven't used a babysitter yet. Heck, I've only left her with my husband for more than 20 minutes 3 times.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:50 PM

In addition to the "incompatible with nursing" thing, I think leaving your child for a week is just too long of a separation for the child. They are too young to understand what is going on and it just can't be healthy for their emotional development for their #1 caregiver and love to up and disapper all of the sudden for an entire week.
I'm a big believer in the 1st three years being a very important time for bonding and establishing a strong mother-child relationship. Weeklong visits can be reserved for when the kids are old enough to understand and truly look forward to a visit with the grandparents...
take care
Old 11-18-2005, 01:10 AM

No, because it would undermine bf'ing. Now, once she's weaned, and if she's amenable to the idea, quite likely I'd leave her w/ mom for a week...probably to take off w/ a friend of mine who also has two young uns so we can have a real vacation, sans kiddos and sans hubbies!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:59 AM

**hops up...looks around....spots a space..wedges her fat butt in...on the HECK NO bandwagon**

My parents actually have asked me to send her to them for days/weeks at a time....!!!!! When I was a baby, they would leave me every weekend with MY grandma, while they went out....(with my yummy milk+cereal-filled bottles!!), and they have apparently always assumed that when they had grandkids, they would get the same "privliege" !!!!!!

I know they would takle great care of her, they love her to death, okay,m they would probably smeak her more crap-food than I prefer, but I could live with that....
but I can NOT imagine my baby going with anyone right now.....even if for some inexplicable, horrible reason she were NOT nursing (all night long)...I just think it would be awful..a whole week? Babies would not understand..they wouldn't know what happened to momma...I can only imagine the terror and sadness....and there is no way I could function, not being with my baby.....
Yes, I would maybe like a night (as in 2-3 hours for dinner, maybe a movie) out for dh and I once in a while...but a WEEK???? ugh..you know, every month or so, I go to my parents for a few days, so dd can "vacation" with them...I basically let them take care of her all day long..sometimes I even read a book, do some shopping, eating, sans baby..but I generally am with her for most of it...but am never away from her more than a couple hours ever, (must nurse), and I sleep with her at night..I am also away from dd a couple hours, a couple days a week for my PT job(while she is with dh).....that is the MOST I can fathom being away from my 1year old!

CPST
Old 11-18-2005, 02:09 AM

HECKSTERS NO!!!!

Way to young for our baby....

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *

User Tag List