Melissa and Doug toys? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What are they? Where are they?

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Melissa and Doug toys are wooden, reasonable priced toys, they have anything you could think of.Some toy stores carry them, Target always has some on their online store, I'm not sure if they carry them in the regular stores, and the are all ver the net, just google them and you'll come with many links.
http://www.learningexpress.com/educa..._and_doug.html

http://store.dianatoystore.com/lig.html

There is just 2 of the hindreds of online stores that carry them. I have several M and D products for dd and have been pleased.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They are made of wood, not sure about the paint. Sold online at quite a few places and at toysrus. They make all sorts of things but I like the cute puzzles, and fold and go kitchen.
#4 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 05:53 PM

Marshall's and TJ Maxx sell them cheaper than you will get them most places.
#5 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfeet
Marshall's and TJ Maxx sell them cheaper than you will get them most places.
:

I bought all of my Melissa and Doug items at a local independent toy store this yr since I am trying to boycott Target. I think their stuff is great and I highly recommend, they are well made and usually have an educational twist.
#6 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 08:13 PM

and they are all made in china :
#7 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 08:32 PM

Can I ask why your boycotting Target, AMB? Anything I should know? I do avoid Walmart, but for household stuff, I must say, Target has pretty good prices, and I need to save money...
#8 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Some folks are boycotting Target because of their alleged stance on prescribing RU-486; Target's response is that they are being unfairly targeted by Planned Parenthood, since they are in compliance with the local laws and most other pharmacies have the same practice.

I find the paint chips very easily on painted Melissa and Doug toys. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
#9 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 08:49 PM

I love Target and this decision has been very hard for me. The issue is that Target and other businesses allow their employees to refuse to fill birth control prescription due to moral objections. I don't think everyone has to boycott but, writing a letter will help.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/10633...arget+Protests

http://www.saveroe.com/node/1714

And here is a link from MDC about other co.'s that you may want to avoid.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=367624
#10 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 09:01 PM

I buy them at Ross. I love wooden toys but can't afford all of the good ones. We shop Ross first for everything. Watch the wooden backed jibsaws, though, they chip.
#11 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 10:38 PM

I have only had one Melissa and Doug toy set, a train set with pegs and blocks that stack on the pegs. It was terribly made. Three of the eight pegs have fallen out (toy had not been thrown, or roughly played with, it happened before my son became a toddler!). Also, when I accidentally dropped one of the blocks on the tile floor it busted and broke. I have no idea what the substance was inside, but it was not solid wood . It may have been compressed wood or composite or something, I dont know, it was black and crumbly, not solid wood like I thought it was!
#12 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 10:54 PM

Their toys are so inexpensive that it makes me wonder about how they treat their labor force creating the toys (wages, factory conditions, etc). Does anyone know about these issues?
#13 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 PM

i bought a really nice one at Marshalls. I had never heard of the company though and was just excited to see a reasonably priced wooden toy. I am interested to hear about the concerns pp have.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#14 of 35 Old 11-25-2005, 11:29 PM

I've also found some of their toys at the Carters outlet nearby. They were very reasonably priced (about 30% off regular retail). If you have one nearby, you can find them there. I've also found them at TJMaxx and Marshalls.
#15 of 35 Old 11-26-2005, 01:19 AM

Our Babies R Us, Toys R Us and many educational supply stores carry them here in Central Fl.
#16 of 35 Old 11-26-2005, 01:23 AM

just chiming in with another you get what you pay for comment.
The paint does chip off very easily and the toys tend to be cheaper imitations of more expensive items made with real hardwood

I think their toys used to be of higher quality--the things I had from ds1 seem to hold up better...

I pretty much avoid their toys now. I'd rather save up for one special toy that costs more than 3 or 4 cheaper M&D ones....

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#17 of 35 Old 11-26-2005, 01:42 AM

If you have ANY problems with Melissa and Doug toys they replace them at their cost. They have excellent customer service. There is an entire thread relating to this http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=351969. We have loads of their toys and had trouble with two - one was roughly played with and I wanted to buy the replacement piece. They shipped out two brand new toys (complete sets).
#18 of 35 Old 11-26-2005, 08:09 AM

Are there other brands that people could recommend for wooden toys? The ones I have seen charge $20 for a rattle.
#19 of 35 Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 PM

Plan also makes good toys and they are a very ethical company.
#20 of 35 Old 11-26-2005, 11:46 PM

Edited because I was learing how to quote...Sorry
#21 of 35 Old 11-26-2005, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maman*Musique
Are there other brands that people could recommend for wooden toys? The ones I have seen charge $20 for a rattle.
Your local craft fairs are a good place to look....I like supporting local people...Usually adorable old men
#22 of 35 Old 11-27-2005, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abranger
and they are all made in china :

yep. you can find comparably priced wooden toys made in the US or in europe at rosiehippo.com, kidbean.com, holegatetoy.com. selecta (a german company) makes a lot of wooden toys.
#23 of 35 Old 11-27-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilydhmama
Plan also makes good toys and they are a very ethical company.

do you have a website for that company.
#24 of 35 Old 11-28-2005, 12:28 AM

I found a great site that has haba and brio toys. I don't know much about brio, a friend has some and says they are good. There are many other types of toys too so you have to scan through the pages but you can get some at discount. www.kidsurplus.com. This site also has a M&D toy.

I have also found great toys on ebay, things like finger puppets and waldorf inspired dolls at lower costs, and my purchases supported at home moms!

The thing is with most wooden toys is that they are expensive because if you think about what it costs to pay employees a decent wage and use good materials, you can't afford to sell them for cheap. I prefer my daughter have less toys that are quality and condone an environment of creativity.
#25 of 35 Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 PM

I LOVE wooden toys, but my babe likes to bang them on nice furniture and stainless steel appliances and leave nice little marks. So, nnnnnnnOOOOO more wooden toys for him! hehehe
#26 of 35 Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilydhmama View Post
If you have ANY problems with Melissa and Doug toys they replace them at their cost. They have excellent customer service. There is an entire thread relating to this http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=351969. We have loads of their toys and had trouble with two - one was roughly played with and I wanted to buy the replacement piece. They shipped out two brand new toys (complete sets).
This has also been my experience.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#27 of 35 Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Early on, I had 2 M&D toys but both had paint chipping after a short stint so I trashed them after hearing some bad press (don't know if it's true so I won't repeat it) and that they were MIC.

After that, I bought a few Haba wooden toys my DD loves. I also have a lot of Plan toys. They are great and I don't worry about lead b/c they are dyed w/ vegetable dyes.

Other wooden toys I love are Spiel and Holz, Kinderkram.

I buy a lot from moolka, atoygarden, willowtreetoys online...
#28 of 35 Old 02-12-2008, 10:08 PM

I don't like M&D toys. The reasons why I buy wooden toys are because I want to buy toys that are sustainable, that will last generations, and that were made with love. Melissa and Doug toys are none of those things. In my opinion the only thing they have over plastic toys is that they will decompose faster in the landfills. But I'm not sure that their forestry practices are worth the faster decomposition (I don't know anything about their forestry practices, but I can't imagine that they're very good given how cheap the toys are, even after having traveled around the world).

I also think that less is more when it comes to toys, so buying fewer, nicer (more expensive) toys makes sense to me.

I really like www.thewoodenwagon.com , www.atoygarden.com , www.palumba.com and www.etsy.com as places to find beautiful, handmade wooden toys.

How many toys does a baby need? Maybe just one, very special, handmade, $20 wooden rattle.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#29 of 35 Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I like how M&D toys look when newly purchased, but our M&D toys seem to have paint that chips easily, pegs that loosen and fall out easily, and one of our toys (a shape-sorting clock that a friend bought for us overseas) was recalled due to excessive lead content.

With all of that, along with the whole MIC thing, I'm afraid we're no longer a family that purchases M&D-brand toys.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#30 of 35 Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
just chiming in with another you get what you pay for comment.
The paint does chip off very easily and the toys tend to be cheaper imitations of more expensive items made with real hardwood

I think their toys used to be of higher quality--the things I had from ds1 seem to hold up better...

I pretty much avoid their toys now. I'd rather save up for one special toy that costs more than 3 or 4 cheaper M&D ones....
:

The paint chips super-easily and there has been some controversey about trace amounts of lead in their paint, as well as the MIC factor.
We've gotten rid of all of our M&D stuff, but we didn't have that much to begin with.

Tags
Melissa And Doug , Toys , Wooden Toys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page