Mothering Forum banner

1 yr. old sleep patterns

576 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Saartje 
#1 ·
What are your/have your 1 yr. olds done as far as sleep patterns around this age? DS has just taken a turn for the wierd, and sleepless. He was going down btwn 7-7:30, waking at 4-ish, and waking for the day 11 hours after going down. Napping at 9-ish for 45 min and then again at 1 for 90-2hrs -ish. Then one night this week he woke at 10 crying till 12:30 (no, not cio, I was walking, rocking, etc for that time), then slept until 7:15. Next night he woke at 4, cried till 6, then slept till 7:45. Last night he cried from 10-2, then again for awhile at 4, then slept till 8:30. Yesterday and today he napped from 1-2. He's not sick.... I want to say that at this point he's getting overtired, but I dont htink he's losing hours from his old pattern (though I havent added...). Im not worried about it (...though wouldnt mind sleeping again
), just curious. He's so different from his sister (3)

Anyway, short question: what do your one yr olds do (times) for sleep? Curious to know the variety

See less See more
#2 ·
dd goes to sleep (nursing) anywhere from 7:30-8:30 pm. We have a very loose bedtime routine. She will wake anywhere from 45min-3 hours, and at that point I bring her to bed with me. Most nights she'll wake 2-3 more times for a quick snack, and wakes around 7:30am or so. She's been taking one 45 minute nap around 12-1pm. Sometimes she sleeps a bit longer.

That's about how it is at our house. Usually when dd wakes up at night and can't go back to sleep, it means she's working on some teeth!

#3 ·
Q's been shifting to a more frequent waking/nursing schedule over the past couple of months, culminating in a few *fun* nights of going to sleep around 10pm, then nursing continuously from 2:30 until 6-7am. Ugh. As it turns out, not only is she coming up on a growth spurt, she's getting four molars all at the same time, which is making her miserable and super stuffed-up at night.

We're working our way back to sanity with homeopathic chamillia and cold foods during the day, car rides so she can nap sitting up and breathe easier, and ibuprofen at night, which has made a huge difference. She and I actually slept from 11pm until 4am last night before she woke up to nurse, and she went back to sleep pretty quickly after that, nursing again at 6 and 7ish before waking up for the day around 8:30.

#4 ·
ds at 12 months went down at 7:30-8pm most nights, woke around 11pm and then slept till 5 or 6 am. Sometimes the occasional wake up around 2am. He switched from two naps to one about 13 or 14 months. Now at 17 months he naps by 1pm at the latest and sleeps about 2 hours. Goes down for bed at night between 8-9pm, still wakes about 11-midnight and sometimes sleeps till 6-7am, but other days wakes at 4 or 5am and back down till 7am or later. If he is teething all things go out the door for weeks on end.

His sister on the other hand was down to one nap at 12 months and didn't ever(in her entire babyhood) go to bed before 9pm usually not until 10 or 11pm and slept mostly through the night until 7am or later. Teething never bothered her.

Amazing how two kids can be so different!

#5 ·
Could he be teething? Reaching some great new milestone?

My "baby" is turning 2 in just over a week, and I have to say, that I don't even remember what her sleeping patterns were like a year ago (so there is some consilation that these sleepless nights will soon be tobe a distant memory!). That said, DD2 was a better sleeper than DD1 from the beginning, and continues to this day.

Glad you are not stressing it, but, as I am sure you know, these processes our kids go through are not linear, and every time you think that you have it figured out, it changes again.

Happy sleep vibes to you and your DS!

#6 ·
Your post sounds somewhat like what we went through at that age. Right around 12 months was ds's worst sleeping phase ever, I shudder even now remembering it. He's always been a frequent waker (every 90 min like clockwork until about 18 mos, now at 22 mos he wakes 2-3 times), but he went through about a month of waking sometime after midnight and staying awake for 2-4 hours despite every attempt to get him back to sleep. Sometimes crying, sometimes just awake and wanting to play. And when he did finally get to sleep, he was nearly always up for the day by 5:30 am. Dh and I thought we were going to die from the sleep deprivation. Luckily, he finally moved through whatever developmental shifts were going on, slept a little more and we regained some of our sanity. You know, he also shifted from two short naps to one longer nap right around that time, maybe that was it?

Hope you adjust to new sleep patterns soon!

#7 ·
Julia is actually in a pretty good place sleep-wise at the moment (knock on wood!). She's 15 months now. We went through a really rough night-waking and taking forever to fall asleep phase between 10 and 12 months, but at this point we're in a pretty easy phase. She falls asleep early, right after dinner, usually around 6:45 or 7. She sleeps about 12 hours. I have no idea exactly how often she wakes; maybe or 5 times a night. They're pretty brief awakenings, just looking for some human contact and comfort, so they're not really a problem for us. She wakes at around 7 am.

She takes a long nap in the afternoon, right after lunch. About 1 to about 3:30. Somedays it's only about 40 minutes, and somedays it's 3 hours. It's really variable, and every once in a while she won't nap at all. It's no good getting her to go back to sleep once she wakes the first time, during naptime. It just won't work.

On days when I just can't get her in bed early enough for her satisfaction, like if we actually want to go somewhere in the evening (imagine that!) she'll take a short nap of maybe 20 minutes around 6ish, in her carseat or Ergo or stroller. She just can't get past 7 pm without a power nap.

The only really rough nights are the ones when we don't get outside during the day, which thankfully are rare. Without some fresh air and running during the day, she's up all bloody night.

#8 ·
This is great ladies, thanks. Kepp it coming

I too remember only a little of what DD was doing at this age, hence the curiousity....and the fact that I know its likely some developmental thing that is shaking out, so I was just curious to know where we might be when the phase passes....

Llyra -
That is the funniest location Ive seen in awhile!

#10 ·
I wonder if your little one is teething or else trying to transition to a single nap.

My little guy went from two naps to one three days after his birthday, and started sleeping longer at night, as well. These days, he sleeps ~12 hours nightly and naps for at least two hours (he's on a morning nap schedule, despite efforts to shift him a little later).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.