When will he be able to blow his nose? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-18-2005, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poor ds has a runny nose -- and I think a minor cold. It's hard for him to nurse becase his nose is so stuffy. When will he be able to blow his nose?

He's 13 months.

If it's going to be a while, is there anything I can do to help him?
#2 of 24 Old 12-18-2005, 08:43 PM

I've been wondering this, too. I use that snot-sucker suction bulb thing, but Julia HATES it. I can't wait until she can blow her nose!

A little saline in the nose does help to loosen up the mucus and makes it easier to suck out. We use Little Noses.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 12:22 AM

I'd say DD started understanding hte 'blow your nose' idea around 2 years old. But of course even now she doesn't do it very effectively.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#4 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 03:09 AM

Hello!

My youngest nephew started at about 12mo. but my eldest nephew couldn't blow his nose until he was about 3. Ds still can't but he makes the noise and rubs his nose it is so funny he started when I had a cold. That shows just how different child can be. I second the saline.

Karen and Baby Joe

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#5 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 AM

I think my son started being able to blow his nose around 18 mos., which means you'll have to get through this year's cold season before then. I quit using the bulb thing after he was a baby, though, and just kept his nose wiped when it was runny, and picked any hard boogers with my pinky (ahh, the glory of motherhood). Since 2-2.5 he's been able to get a tissue and blow his nose without assistance, which is great. He's got a cold right now, and aside from reminding him to blow his nose, I don't have to do a thing!
#6 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 04:03 AM

One friend of mine has a son who has been blowing his nose since about age 2. My own DD is 2-1/2 and has just now figured out how to do this. Now the question is whether or not she is willing to blow her nose. She has a cold right now, too, so it's been a bit frustrating.

The bulb thing always seemed tramatic for her even as a baby. We did much better with the saline. Little Noses was good, but the store brand kind worked just as well for less money.

We generally just keep tissues handy and wipe as needed, though occaisionally, DD will actually ask for one. Of course, other times, she'll just wipe her nose on my shoulder. YUK!

Good luck.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#7 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 04:34 AM

dh has horrible allergies so nose blowing is a major part of daily life around here and the girls all learned very early. Dd3 was blowing her nose by her first birthday. maybe you can try showing him how it's done and see if he can figure out how to do it on his own
#8 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 04:14 PM

Ds is 19 months and just figured it out. Hallelujah!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#9 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 04:23 PM

DS learned around 18 months. I think MIL taught him. She has kleenex boxes all over the house. He's 27 months now and he's really good at it.
#10 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM

i personally didnt blow my nose until i was 6.
my 2 yr old can do it wonderfully now.
#11 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 05:00 PM

My son is 3 1/2 and only sometimes blows his own nose. He usually doesn't use enough force. I have used ocean saline but also found that if you are nursing you can just put a little breastmilk in the nose instead. It has antimicrobial properties to it and as it goes down the back of their throat it is less harsh and tastes better and more familiar.
#12 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm still waiting for my 4 yo to start. I think he just doesn't like the idea of anything more coming out, maybe because he is prone to nose bleeds.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 05:21 PM

I couldn't blow my nose til I was about 22...but I don't think most people take that long! My sister still can't blow (she is 31) so I guess it could have something to do with our noses
#14 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 06:36 PM

My dd, today 18 months old, has been blowing for about a week. She says tissue and drags me to the bathroom, blows (a little) and then she throws the tissue in the trash. If I dared leave TP or tissues at her level she'd probably do it all by herself, but then I'd have 4000 feet of TP or 100 tissues strewn around the house too!

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.
#15 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I started teaching DS1 very early; everytime I would sipe his nose I'd tell him to blow and then do it with him. I never really had the intention of him learning to do it himself, it was more of a game so that he wouldn't hate having his nose wiped so much. Well he ended up being able to blow his nose well by about 15 mo (with me holding the tissue, of course). I've done a similar thing with 18 mo old DS2 but he's much more adverse to having his nose wiped (has had too many colds in his short life, poor guy!) and not into the playing as much.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#16 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 PM

dd still can't do it. we've been playing around with the concept forever!!!
#17 of 24 Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't know when he'll be able to effectively blow on his own, but in the meantime we do the same thing another poster mentioned -- use Little Noses saline drops to soften the mucus, then use a bulb syringe to suck it out. It's not pleasant for the child, but at least it temporarily clears their nose so that they can nurse.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#18 of 24 Old 12-20-2005, 06:32 PM

I can't remember exactly, but I think my son was 2 1/2 before he could blow his nose effectively. He would try sooner than that, but usually ended up sniffing in instead of blowing out.
#19 of 24 Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 PM

DD is 2 and can blow most of the time, but I have to hold the tissue. She's very good at wiping her own nose. I have allergies, so she's seen mama blow her nose alot!

Before that we used the saline spray.
#20 of 24 Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 PM

My 18 month old can blow her nose. My three year old still has some trouble with it. Every kid is different!

My recommendation is to try to teach your child when they *don't* have a cold-- it makes things so much neater and easier!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#21 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 12:34 AM

Hmph. For some reason I didn't think kids could do it that young, so I've only been really half hearted about showing DD.

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to show her a lot more. Who knows, maybe she'll pick it up. I can only hope!

Although I'll surely miss the days of picking her nose for her.

chinaKat
#22 of 24 Old 12-21-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayking
I couldn't blow my nose til I was about 22...but I don't think most people take that long! My sister still can't blow (she is 31) so I guess it could have something to do with our noses
: I can't imagine that! What did you do differently at 22?!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#23 of 24 Old 12-22-2005, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

OP here..
I tried showing ds how to do it and he tries, but instead of making the blowing noise with his nose, he does it with this mouth. So, he's making a ffffffssshhhh sounds when I put the tissue up to his nose. It's very cute.

I'll keep trying to get those stuffies out of him. It can't be very comfortable.
#24 of 24 Old 12-22-2005, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Ds is 21 months old and freaks out if I go anywhere near him with the saline bottle. I never really had any luck with the bulb thingy, the saline would just make him sneeze and stuff would come flying out.

Anyway, he just picked up a cold from a little girl at his toddler group and he does try to blow now. Unfortunately he does not always wait for a tissue.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page