for those experiencing winter-- at what temp do you keep your heat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just got the first heating bill (natural gas)-- it was 5x my november bill!!!

i thought we were being good by keeping the heat at 62 degrees, dressing warmly and putting many layers on dd. is it even safe for the little ones to keep the temperature any lower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 AM

Mine's set at 65 during the day.
#3 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 11:20 AM

Do you have an electiric stove? You could put the surface units on and the oven on instead. We haven't run the heat yet. If we come down in the am and it is below 60, we will turn on the stove/oven and in about 15 mins its up to 65ish. We also have a space heater in the bedroom and the living room. That way, we don't use the gas at all.
Trisha

hh2.gif

#4 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 AM

We keep it at a balmy 70... in Massachusetts. I would have trouble comfortably tolerating anything below 67 or 68. But it's expensive! As it is, I wear a sweater when I am sitting still (which is a lot because I WAH P/T).

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#5 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 11:30 AM

We keep it at 58 and really bundle up (Rhode Island). We have a fire going much of the time to take the chill off. Sometimes we will put it up to 65 for a few hours if we are really cold and the house just needs to be heated up a bit. We cross our fingers for balmy days, like today, when it is 50 degrees!

Trying *very* hard to keep that heating bill low . . . . .

Peace, mamas!

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
#6 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 AM

We keep it at 68-70. I'm very worried about our heating bill (I haven't seen it, yet), but if we keep the heat lower than that, DD complains that she's cold (even dressed in layers). As it is, I find it chilly in certain parts of the house. We're planning on picking up a cord of wood so that we can suppliment it that way.
#7 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 12:06 PM

We keep it at 68-70 during the day, and turn it down to 60 at night. I know it is expensive, but we are on a budget plan so during the winter we pay a set amount each month, no matter how much gas we use. Come summer I know we will be paying out the yin-yang for it, but to me, being comfortable is worth it.

I lived with my parents who would keep the heat around 50, Mom would open the windows when the temp was 45, and Dad had this weird thing about not wearing coats in the house. So I would be sitting around with sweat pants under my jeans, 3 pairs of socks, a tee shirt under 2 sweaters, and wrapped in a blanket, so now that I am an adult, I am very adamant about it being a comfortable temp for everyone in my home.
#8 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 PM

We keep ours around 66-68 during the day and 65 at night. I've found that running a humidifier really keeps it more comfortable. We also put plastic over our windows to help with the drafts.
#9 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 PM

We are in NH and keep the thermostat at 68 degrees during the day and 60 at night. I don't know about DS, but I feel cold when the heat is lower than that. We use oil for heat, and are on a monthly budget plan, so we don't see huge fluctuations from month to month. I do worry, though, that we will use more than our price protected gallons and end up with a big bill next spring.

If we can save enough money to do it, we will buy a wood stove in the spring. We had a wood stove in our last house, and spent about $500 a winter in wood, and $500 for propane. Our heating expenses in this house are much, much higher.
#10 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 12:53 PM

66 day and night
#11 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 02:25 PM

Okay, I have read about what temps ppl keep their homes from time to time. Not much though. I am totally amazed/shocked to hear that other's keep their temp's in the 50/60's. My dh actually is in the heat/air bizz. We keep our stat on 69 day and night. I don't turn it down at night b/c my kids kick their covers off. We have 4 kids and they don't all sleep with us, so at night they would turn into popsicles if we set the stat on say 60/65. It gets down below freezing and in the 'teens alot where we live and our house has old windows that need to be replaced this Spring and so its drafty. How in the world do you guys do it? Is it that you just adjust over a period of time to cooler temps and its no big deal? Maybe I should start by turning it down a degree each week and trying to keep the kids bundled which would be hard b/c my 2 girls love to play dress up and frequently are dressed in next to nothing garbs that often involve their swimsuits. I guess I could try to talk them into pretending they were going on an Arctic snow hike. I'm definately taking suggestions in this area
#12 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 03:21 PM

We keep ours between 65-68, and covered our windows with plastic. My older son is always naked and the baby is often in just a diaper. We put clothes on/swaddle baby on to go downstairs where it's much chillier than the upstairs where our bedroom and full bath are.
#13 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 03:29 PM

I like my house comfy so its 80 in here for me. Cool house just arent comfortable IMO. But I do totally understand the $$ issue.

When we heated with oil it was 70. But our wood heat is dirt cheap and 80 is what the stove like to put out and I am happy We would be really hurting $$ wise if we still heated with oil.

Kids can take cooler temps as they are noramly so active.

Ands its good to have a cool house to sleep in. But our stove active its hard to cool the house down at night
#14 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 03:32 PM

60-62 at night and 66 during the day. Unfortunately this house lets the heat out so the temps don't stay that warm.

If we had more wood we could easily keep the house warm though. I love our woodstove for heat purposes.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#15 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 PM

We've adjusted downward already due to $$$. It's now set at 65 during the day (although I frequently bump it up to 68) At night it's set at 57. We gave our oldest another blanket and the younger two are in footie pajamas. My youngest will not use blankets and he's been fine. Whenver we leave the house it gets turned down to 53

I'm the only one that seems to be cold with it set this way, so I put on an extra pair of socks and have a warm blanket on the couch and in the playroom.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#16 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 03:59 PM

65 at night and work days, 72 during the day when we are home. We actually end up opening the windows a lot however. Our unit is at the end of a very old heating system that is connected for all 4 units in the building. If we have it any lower, we get no heat.

But - we don't have to pay it!

We are going to be in for a shocker when we move back into a house (next year probably - we are shopping). Now that I'm used to a super warm house, I'm gonna freeze~!
#17 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Yeah, I wonder about the kids and blankets issues too. I would totally turn the heat lower at night except that I know DD throws off her blankets (she's in a crib with loose blankets; she's two). Do you dress your kids super-warm for bed or do you not worry about it? If she was actually in a big-kid bed or grown-up bed I wouldn't worry, but...

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#18 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 04:17 PM

66'
#19 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 04:29 PM

We've done many things to stay warm in our old farmhouse out here in Minnesota. We worked on insulation in the basement, that helped. When we used gas we did 58 at night, 68 during the day. A programmable thermostat was worth the investment, so we could set the heat to run when we were home. We also did the budget plan.

Now we use an outdoor wood boiler. I still keep the heat at 68 when we're home, 62 at night. Wood heat is AMAZING, so I can't comfortably wear my long johns inside anymore, but growing up in Alaska, I always wore long underwear. Patagonia long johns are worth the investment, and I have them for dd, too. They go easily under all clothes.

For night time, dd wears a onesie and footed pjs. I would put her long underwear on under her pjs if she was sleeping alone, or I kept the heat lower at night. My MIL used sleeping bags for her kids, and she had them in one bed.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#20 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 04:30 PM

68-70
Plus I start a fire usually everyday around noon in the fireplace. Heating prices are so bad that I want to turn it down but it's to cold in MA . Gosh, you'd never know I was born in Anchorage... I'm such a sun child!
#21 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 04:40 PM

We're in Eastern Wis, and we keep the thermostat set at 67 during the day, 70 in the evenings when we're all home, and 60 at night when we're sleeping. It's an okay temp, as long as I'm wearing a sweater during the day.

I can't wait for summer!!
#22 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 04:42 PM

65 at night and 67-70 during the day. DD prefers to run around naked and I figure if she's cold she'll ask to put on clothes. At night we do put her in light fleece pjs. This is our first winter in a house and I'm trying not to cry at our heating oil bill every month. We missed buying low cost oil so are bill was $457/month but we weren't using that much and I managed to get it down to $359. I'm hoping we can revise it even lower for next year. *sigh*
#23 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 04:49 PM

We have radiant floor heat and each room is it's own zone. So here's the rundown, they are all kept the same temp day and night and we are, basement excepting, a one floor home.

Basement - heat is off, the boiler room keeps it warm enough down there.

Kitchen - heat is off, it's right above the boiler room and the stove is frequently on so it stays warm enough.

Living room - 65 degrees

Dd's room - 68 degrees - her room is kept the warmest.

Ds's room - 65 degrees

Master Bedroom - 62 degrees

Our bill was still Our dryer, stove, and water heater are all gas as well so I'm sure that's contributing.
#24 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 04:59 PM

58 at night
60 when we're gone
65 during the day.
#25 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 06:22 PM

69-70 here in Washington, D.C.
#26 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 06:55 PM

We are in east central Pennsylvania.

We keep it at 60 at night.

During the day, it's anywhere from 60 (not home) to 65 (busy, active home work) to 78 (I'm freezing cold and can't get warmed up.) Most often, it's set at 71.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#27 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 PM

Do all of you who keep your heat down do it for $$$ reasons? As I said dh does heat/air and he says that once you get your home to a certain temp it doesn't cost anymore to keep it at that temp than it would at a lower or higher temp. So if you have your house warmed to 69 and the heat kicks on at 68 and runs till its 70 and then shuts off you use the same amount of energy as you would have if you warmed your house to say 60 and then the heat kicked on at 59 and warmed back to 61 and then kicked off. I guess the only way you could save $$$ is if your home didn't get below the temp you kept your thermostat at very often during the day or night. KWIM. Does that make sense? And if you let your house get very cool at night or during the day when your gone then it takes twice as much energy to warm it up in the evenings say 10 degrees if you typically set it that much lower while your gone. You have a bunch of cold surfaces and peices of furniture to warm up too. Just thought I'd share what he told me b/c I never knew that either until he told me?
#28 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 10:43 PM

WOW! I can't believe y'all can handle a house so cold! It does not get very cold here in Texas but when it does I run my heat at 71 during the day and at night. I refuse to be colder than 71! Of course today it was like 75 outside and we were in our shorts cleaning out the garage while the kids rode bikes in the driveway! I love Texas!
#29 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 PM

kyangel80- I see what you're saying, but then why does the utility company say that turning down your thermostat will save you money? I think it's true that you can waste energy going from really cold at night to really warm during the day, but keeping it at a constant lower temp saves money, I believe. When it's 40 outside, doesn't it only make sense that your heater will have to cycle on much more often to keep the house 10 or 15 degrees warmer? Especially if you live in a house with singlepane windows and poor insulation like me.

I'm in GA. It's been in the 40s-50s during the day here, so not all that cold. We keep the heat at 60 day and night for $ reasons, like you said. If I am freezing cold one day and I turn the heat to 65 or so, it cycles on and off much more frequently to keep the house at that temperature.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#30 of 43 Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
When it's 40 outside, doesn't it only make sense that your heater will have to cycle on much more often to keep the house 10 or 15 degrees warmer?

I'm in GA. It's been in the 40s-50s during the day here, so not all that cold. We keep the heat at 60 day and night for $ reasons, like you said. If I am freezing cold one day and I turn the heat to 65 or so, it cycles on and off much more frequently to keep the house at that temperature.
:

When it's in the teens here our heat cycles on much more than when it's in the 30's, no matter what it's set at. We use less oil now that our heat is set at 65/57 then when we used to have it set higher 70/62 b/c it cycles on less often

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page