*~!~*December 04 Mamas in denial*~!~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 122 Old 01-06-2006, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much for the links, Jaclyn. I never even thought to go to Kellymom and nose around.

I asked the dr. if these charts were based on formula-fed babies, and I don't remember his exact response, but he basically said that since breastfed babies tend to be BIGGER than formula babies, that if we were looking at a breastfed-only chart, he would be even lower below it. That made me feel real good - and it's crap.

If anyone has a link for a breastfed baby growth chart for height, I'd appreciate it. Dh is worried. In fact, I'm a little concerned too because Aidan is really short compared to the kids in his class, but at 1 year he had 1 1/2 inches on Eli. I can't imagine if Eli is going to be even shorter than Aidan?!
#62 of 122 Old 01-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Sorry about all the sick babies.

Well after showing no signs of intrest in walking this week Iris started pushing around the laundry basket and a wagon. She is still no where near being able to stand alone but it's an intresting to start.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#63 of 122 Old 01-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Jenelle - your doc is wrong. BF babies tend to weigh less than ff babies! And the growth charts they used are based on ff babies, the studies were done at a time when ff was the norm and they were based exclusively on ff babies. I looked a lot for a bf growth chart online but couldn't find one a few months ago. dd is not even on the chart for weight, but our doc says not to worry because she's obviously healthy and her growth curve is normal even if her weight is low.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#64 of 122 Old 01-07-2006, 01:44 AM

Thanks KM... the links that Jaclyn provided are good ones for BF growth charts. I just didn't find one for height that could make us feel better.

I have been impressed in every other way with our dr. He has made lots of comments about "how nature intended" as far as us cosleeping, night nursing, delaying solids, etc. So I am surprised by this new development, and disappointed to say the least. It is possible that I misunderstood what he was trying to say about growth in FF babies vs. BF, but he most definitely made the statement that if we were looking at charts of BF babies only, Eli would be even further below.

I think I am going to print out the growth chart from the WHO website (which Eli is almost in the middle on for weight) and mail it to him with a nice letter, saying that I wish he'd consider using this chart for BF babies instead of comparing them to FF babies and freaking the parents out, thinking there's some kind of endocrine problem.

He did say that as long as he keeps a nice curve going on, there's nothing to worry about. But I just don't like being made to feel like my child is so damn small he's "not even on the charts". That just sounds bad, KWIM?
#65 of 122 Old 01-07-2006, 09:58 AM

Jenelle-
I just went searching for you post to see the height and weight. Iris is almost exactly the same 27 inches (no half) and 19 lbs (no oz.) my Dr. didn't say anything to me about her being small. People always tell me she's tiny but I figure it's just her build.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#66 of 122 Old 01-07-2006, 05:17 PM

Jenelle - Julian is 29 inches (maybe 30, he's so squirmy), and 21 pounds. I am part of a playgroup that includes 8 babies all Julian's age. 3 girls, and the rest boys. Julian is the 2nd tallest and many are at least 2.5 - 3 inches shorter then him. I wouldn't be worried about Eli at all.

I think he's almost over his cold. I hate this season. It seems he is sick so often. At playgroup he is a sippy cup fiend - he'll drink out of anyones. I'm assuming thats where he picks up most of these things. We have a rule that baby can't come to group if he has had green stuff coming out of the nose, a fever in the last 24 hours or diahherra in the last 24. We've been able to keep all the nasty bugs from going around, but colds are sometimes harder to spot.

So how about CLIMBING! If I thought he was danger-boy before, this definatly takes the cake. He will step on anything, dog head, diaper bag, entertainment table, xbox, wooden blocks - unfortuanlty most of these things don't support him and he's falling all over the place. Crazy kid. I can't be there every minute so more often then not he has ended up bonking his little head.

Now that he eats solids, he hardly checks in to nurse. Yesterday he went 8 hours. It is so sad for me, but I know he still needs it so I have comfort knowing he isn't going to wean right away. Still, I miss my little baby.

I've been doing a ton of sewing. Its my favorite hobby, and I absolutly love it. Every night after I put Julian down I head straight for my machine. I'm sewing diapers for a few MDC moms, and selling a couple I make on e-bay to support my fabric addiction. I've also started making a quilt. This is going to be my first one and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Happy New Year everyone!

KM - I am thinking of you often and hoping you don't have PTL. I also can't believe you are going to be having another baby so soon. Exciting!
#67 of 122 Old 01-07-2006, 07:39 PM

km- praying for at least 5 more weeks in utero for your wee one.

i hope eceryone is feeling better.

rozzie was 28.5 inches and 21 lbs 7 oz at her 1 year mark. i think your little one is just fine. by the way jenelle where in indiana. I'm originally from Valparaiso, up by Lake michigan
#68 of 122 Old 01-07-2006, 10:36 PM

I've instituted a new rule in our house: limited house work and picking up cute, cuddly toddler as little as possible. It's hard because Evangeline seems to want me when she wants to be picked up, but I have dh pick her up and hand her to me. The contractions have lightened some. It helps also that my cold is clearing up and I'm not coughing as much. One thing I'm sure of is that this baby isn't going to hang around until her due date!

I can't believe I'm going to have another baby either! Well, actually I feel much more ready than I did a few months ago. It's still a weird thought though. I still have no idea how we're going to make it work for the first few months. I know a sling will be necessary and I suspect I'll be buying lots of nursing tops so I can sling and nurse the new baby while chasing my sweet toddler around.

Evangeline is 27.5 inches and only 18.5lbs. Very small for her age (considering she's a month or more older than most of the december babies). who cares?! She's cute as a button and happy as can be. Nothing to indicate a nutritional issue. I wish they'd forget those stupid growth charts and use something else to evaluate how healthy a baby is. Dr's are all happy when an obese ff baby is in the 99th percentile for weight but freak out when perfectly healthy bf babies are in the 10th percentile. It's just wrong!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#69 of 122 Old 01-07-2006, 11:02 PM

KM- I am thinking of you. I'm sure it will take a while to get your stride once the new baby is here, but you'll get the hang of it. I bet it will actually be easier than you think.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#70 of 122 Old 01-07-2006, 11:13 PM

Hi all, just surfing on through :

Wanted to give you our experience at the doc's the other day.
Lillian is 18 lbs now at 1 year 3 weeks. That makes her in the 20% for age/weight.
She is 30 inches long, in the 80% for height.

Our family doc is only concerned that there *is* growth, not what the actual numbers are. As long as she is developing, growing, and is happy, he could care less what the charts say. I love my doc!

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#71 of 122 Old 01-07-2006, 11:32 PM

The sound of rampaging Douglas, about to knock over / crawl over / otherwise engage objects he really shouldn't:

"dougie dougie dougie dougie dougie dougie"

#72 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 12:04 PM

We're headed to San Antonio tomorrow for Jett's check-ups with the surgeons and orthotist. He has totally grown out of his current helmet, so I am sure we're up for yet another one....at a whopping $1750 each. This will be his fourth helmet. That really hurts our pockets.

Another thought about the growth topic. As I mentioned, Jett is only a tad bit bigger than Eli for height and weight. Everyone's always saying what chunk he is, how "he never misses a meal," calls him a linebacker, you name it. I definitely think your doc's on crack about this one.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#73 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 01:09 PM

Mamas - thank you, thank you, thank you for all your responses about Eli and the height/weight issue. I know you're all busy, so the fact that you're taking the time to try and make me feel better, is just great of you all.

My mama instinct tells me that he's a perfectly healthy little boy, given the perfect start to life with breastmilk only. It was just unnerving to be told that he is "below the charts".

Kerlowyn, it sounds like if my doc was using the same chart you're referring to, Eli would have been ON it. Are you talking about one your doc used or a different one for breastfed babies or what?

Does anyone know what chart doctors even use? Like where I could find it online? (Probably on a formula website. LOL)

Jaclyn, best wishes to you and Jett for his check-ups! Does insurance pick up any of the cost of those helmets? Yikes!

Oh, and I know what you're saying. It's not like Eli is skinny -- not at all. He's got chubby cheeks and thighs and belly, and while we don't get the "linebacker" comments, we also don't get any comments from anyone about him being small.
#74 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 PM

Rozzie'sma -- forgot to add that I live in Muncie right now (Ball State). I was born in Fort Wayne and raised just south of there in the country. I used to have a friend who had a houseboat on Lake Michigan - in St. Joe, MI. We would go up there on the weekends. Anywhere near Valparaiso? I'm too lazy to dig out my map right now.

And Eli just - finally - made the sign for "more" while attempting to say it. We've only been trying to teach him this one sign for months!
#75 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 01:32 PM

I wish they'd ditch those charts. It just makes everyone anxious. If the child is healthy and growing there shouldn't be any concern, imo. Plus it all depends on the build of the child, or the parents. Jenelle, how big was Eli when he was born? How tall are you and your dh? There's no way that you could compare Eli's measurements with Sadie's. She was 31" long and 22 lbs at a year. Dh is tall. Sadie is all legs. People actually comment on how petite she is when she's in the sling as she's not really that chubby, just long. Oh and her feet are HUGE. She's just going to be a tall girl. I don't know what's better, that or being a shrimp like me.
#76 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle
Kerlowyn, it sounds like if my doc was using the same chart you're referring to, Eli would have been ON it. Are you talking about one your doc used or a different one for breastfed babies or what?

The percentages come from the chart my doc uses, he was the one to give me the numbers. I don't know if it is a chart for BF babies

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#77 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Jenelle- I'm not sure if it's close or not and I can't find my map at the moment. Nothing fun in Valpo anyway, it's claim to fame is that is where Orville Redenbacher is from. They closed the popcorn plant 2 years ago, actually sold it to Family time popcorn. Anyway pretty small place. Oh Valparaiso university is there though.

Growth charts stink! I'm sure your child is fine.

Shalena I have always wanted to quilt. Tell me how it works out for you, I might give it a go.

Jacklyn- Holly CRAP!!!!!!! that is a lot of money. Is there no way to get help with that. I know my insurance says it doesn't do helmets unless in special circumstances, which I think Jett would be. It just doesn't want to pay for people who leave there kids on there back to long and develop a flat head. But I read your link and Jett is completely different. I would try to appeal to the insurance company. His helmet is not an acessory it's a necessity. Owwwwwwww
#78 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 03:10 PM

Shauna, our insurance company claims that it is "investigational" therapy and they won't cover it. Basically, they're saying it's experimental, despite the fact that it has had, get this, a 100% success rate since it was implemented in 1997.

Jenelle, We've exhausted all avenues of fighting with the insurance, except for a lawyer. However, that would hardly be worth our time, I think.

Yes, the $1750 is what we have to pay out of pocket. The full cost is $2500, but they discount it for you if the insurance declines.

Jenelle, I can't believe you live in Muncie!!!! I used to live in Albany. How wild!! My husband and I got recruited to fly for a company in Muncie. We lived there for two years, 2001 until early 2003. It was a unique experience, with some of my best and worst memories from there. Oh my......Muncie. :LOL:

#79 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle
And Eli just - finally - made the sign for "more" while attempting to say it. We've only been trying to teach him this one sign for months!
Sadie just made the sign for "eat" finally. Although we didn't realize it for awhile and just kept moving her hand away from her mouth because we thought she was just picking up stuff from the carpet for a snack.

Wow Jaclyn. That just stinks that your insurance won't cover Jett's helmets. Everytime I hear a story like that makes me want to strangle somebody. The whole insurance thing in general just makes me . I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Lory - that is too cute!

KM - thinking about you as you get closer and closer to baby #2!
#80 of 122 Old 01-08-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE
Shauna, our insurance company claims that it is "investigational" therapy and they won't cover it.
They suck. That's WRONG.
#81 of 122 Old 01-09-2006, 12:38 AM

Just to clarify, when I said Muncie (Ball State), I didn't mean that we go to Ball State... just thought maybe you'd heard of Ball State. It's pretty much what Muncie is "known" for.

Jaclyn, I can't believe that you lived in Albany! They were big news around here a couple weeks ago -- some guy from Fort Wayne killed his whole family (wife and two or three kids), and at the same time a little girl on their block came up missing. Turned out he had killed her, too, and they found her body somewhere in/around Albany. I don't follow the news enough to know what the full story is now, but I know it was a huge deal for such a small community.

Anyway, we met and lived in Fort Wayne, but dh decided he'd rather work out of Muncie for his railroad job so we decided to head south. We first rented a house in Hartford City, then bought one in the country outside of Montpelier, where we had Aidan, then in Feb. 2003 we sold it and moved into Muncie. We live in a little addition on the north side, just outside city limits - actually kind of close to the airport! I always said I wouldn't like to live in Muncie, but I've really grown to like it and so does dh. Sorry to hear you have bad memories!

Oh, and Eli was 7 lbs. 14 oz. when he was born, and there was a dispute between the doctor's office and the hospital about his length - somewhere between 19 and 20 1/2 inches. :
#82 of 122 Old 01-09-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Katie was 29.5 inches at one year and that was considered 90%
#83 of 122 Old 01-10-2006, 11:48 AM

crapola. I just found this thread today. I didn't think anyone was posting but never looked in toddlers.

Jaclyn, if you read this, i'm going to call you and see if we can get together before you leave. I'd love to see Jett again!

Cole is growing and changing so fast. His language skills have really blossomed this week. He picks up the toy phone and says "hoe?" with a silly look on his face.
He's alwys willing to give a kiss or squeeeeeeze your neck whn asked for a hug. He is walking well. Running, if he sees you trying to put up the baby gate. He's mastered throwing tantrums. Also very frequently involving the baby gate. Man that thing makes him mad. He hates to be contained or told no.

He's still nursing quite a bit. I really want him to nurse till at least 2 so I offer quite a bit. He really enjoys eating bits of whatever we're eating but he's not even close to having a "meal" yet. I'm still avoiding giving him any meat or raw dairy (like milk, cheese, yoghurt). He has had eggs a few times now and really likes them.
Still loving veggies, fruit and mostly breads.

THe girls have started back at their new school. It's such a great school too. I'm so pelased with everything. Lifes back to normal after the holidays, thank goodness.

I'll try to keep up better. I've been so busy and trying to limit my time online.
#84 of 122 Old 01-10-2006, 12:48 PM

Well since we've been talking about naps Iris has started shifiting her naps. She takes one about three hours after we wake up and then she doesn't want to to take another one until like 5 but I just can't let her go to sleep after 4:30 or she will stay up untill nine. It is really frustrateing. i don't want to deprive her of sleep but since the one nap she takes is only about 40 minutes long I really look forward to putting her to bed at night for at least an hour before I go to bed.

I was just wondering how people's heating bills have been so far this winter? We have natural gas and we haven't recieved a bill yet and I am really on the edge of my seat about how high it's going to be.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#85 of 122 Old 01-10-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymom
I was just wondering how people's heating bills have been so far this winter? We have natural gas and we haven't recieved a bill yet and I am really on the edge of my seat about how high it's going to be.

So far our's has been ok...I'm terrified to recieve the next ont too. My MIL got her's and it was $175!!! She hardly uses her heat or anything so I'm biting my nails hoping I budgeted out enough money. I only saved $200 for it and after hearing how much hers is I'm scared!
#86 of 122 Old 01-10-2006, 01:38 PM

Thankfully, we live in base housing and don't pay any utilities. However, we've been running the air conditioner at 68-70 since we moved in. It's 65 outside today and that's the coolest it's been in weeks. It feels like September weather.
#87 of 122 Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

well what do you know, max fell of the growth chart too.

at 13 months, he's 29" (that part's fine) and 19lbs. he hasn't really gained anything since he was about 4 months and that had the drs worried. they drew some blood to make sure there's nothing wrong with his kidneys or liver. the fact that he's 19lbs isn't the part that's worrying them, it's that he went from being off the charts above at 4 months to off the charts below. And his weight stalled at the same time his eczema first appeared.
#88 of 122 Old 01-10-2006, 10:46 PM

Sounds too familiar. Cole when in for his 1 yr and had lost 1 pound since his 6 month check. He's now gained 1.5 back. Breastfed babies fluctuate more imo. I wouldn't worry as long as you feel he's healthy.
#89 of 122 Old 01-11-2006, 12:02 AM

Bohdin just changed his nap schedule too. A month ago he was doing 3 naps. Now the past 3 days he will only do 1. We'll see if this continues. The sad part about this is he also will only breastfeed at naptime so right now it's been 5 hours since he breastfed. He just refuses when I offer. He sure makes up for it at night though. Or that's how it seems anyway.
I'm getting 2 signs: the potty sign and the breastmilk sign. Unfortunately I don't know what he wants when he signals breastmilk because it is not breastmilk although I still offer each time he does it.
No words yet.
I'm not sure on Bohdin's height and weight. I just tried to measure him standing. It looked like he was about 29" but he was going in circles trying to grab the measuring tape. When I put him on the postal scale last month he was about 22lbs.

My~hearts~light, don't you just love that free heating and cooling? I have never been more comfortable, temperature wise, than when I was in base housing. I'm too much of a cheapskate to keep it where I would really like.
#90 of 122 Old 01-11-2006, 12:56 AM

Angela, good to hear from you! We have a pretty full day tomorrow. An appt. at 11 am, one at 2 pm and then depart at 6 pm for home. I don't know how we'll get together.

We went to the San Antonio Zoo today. That was a friggin' blast. Seriously!! It was soooo awesome. Jett had soooo much fun in the Tiny Tots Tots area. We played in the "river" of the Riverbank area for quite a while.

Speaking of which, we were there with Jett in shoes/socks, jean shorts, t-shirt and polar fleece. I was in a denim skirt, 3/4 sleeve shirt and vest. Shanon was in jeans and a t-shirt. It was, ehhh, about 65, sunny and no wind.

There were several people there with little ones in heavy winter coats and hats. This place isn't THAT tropical, is it? They were looking at us like we were killing our child because we were playing in the water. It was pretty funny.

As usual, something went awry with our check-ups/helmet nonsense. The way this works is: We get him checked out and measured for a new helmet with the orthotist on Monday. On Tuesday, we entertain ourselves while they make the helmet (in Arizona.) On Wednesday, we go get his new helmet fitted and tweaked. Then, we go to the hospital for a check-up and more tweaking with the surgeons. Well, something always goes wrong. This time, the fabrication place Arizona ran out of the correct thick plastic. So, they wanted us to stay an extra day, so they could get it here. Well....after over 3 hours non-stop on the phone with our employer, the orthotist, the airline and the ticket agent (the credit card points people), we found out we can't change our tickets. The only option was $1600! EEK....NO! So, we're going home with a thin plastic temporary helmet (like the one that failed) and they will have used that thin one to make a perfect thick one that they'll mail us.

Oh well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page