DD telling us to "stop talking" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently our 27 mo DD has started saying "stop talking, stop talking!" whenever DH and I are engaged in a conversation. At church she did this in front of some people we were talking to and I was pretty embarrassed. Is this just a typical toddler phase or should I look at what might be going on with her? I'm a SAHM and DD is very bonded to us and gets a lot of holding and attention.

I'm thinking that she is just expressing her desire to try to control some things.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Joi

No advice really but you could have been describing my 3yo dd. She will tell us to "stop talking" when we are deep in conversation as well. I just figure she wants some attention.
#3 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 03:05 PM

We get sternly commanded (by 30-month-old DS) not only to stop talking, but "Stop talking -- watch Simon!" We also get ordered to "Stop singing!" and it's not for lack of talent (in DH's case, anyway -- he's a musician and excellent singer!).

Interventions also occur when DH and I try to hug or snuggle, though thankfully this is making a happy transition to DS just wanting to join in, rather than his coming between us and demanding that DH go hug the dog instead!

I've been assuming it's normal two-year old stuff, but I'm all ears if this means something more sinister!
#4 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 03:12 PM

Another control freak child here. "Stop singing", "Stop talking" and "Don't look at me!" (she says this one to strangers!) are some of her cult favorites. I assume it's a 2 year old thing and I try to include her in the conversation when she's saying it.

LoveBeads
Maddy Moo - almost 3
#5 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 03:28 PM

Yes, mine says this too. I don't think it is a control thing -- I think he feels left out when conversations are happening around him that he can't be a part of. I think it means, "Talk to me too."
#6 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our 29 month DD does this too, although not as much as she used to. I usually have to stop, pick her up, explain that we are having a conversation and that if she needs something to tell us. Otherwise she needs to let us talk. Seems to be a phase that is slowly moving on I don't think there is much you can do other than explain that you like to talk with people.
#7 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 04:49 PM

my almost 3 year old was into this a lot closer to 2 1/2, she also included "stop singing" and "stop dancing". she hasn't done the "stop talking" lately though. I always guessed it was part of an egocentric toddler phase, and learning about how powerful words were. we did what Kiddoson does, explaining about interrupting and letting her know that we'd give her time after we finished our thought.
#8 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 07:27 PM

Another 2.5 year old who is way into this as well. We just make a game out of it- when he commands me, I freeze instantly and stop talking. He gets frustrated to see me in the "frozen" position, and sooner than you know it, he commands me to "start talking" again.
#9 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 09:21 PM

Mine too! He will not let dh and I have a conversation: He is not happy unless he is the center of attention:LOL We just try to include him in the conversation and hope this stage passes!
#10 of 16 Old 01-23-2003, 09:35 PM

Mine is the exact opposite in regard to dh and I showing affection--she strong-arms us into holding hands, hugging and kissing whenever she can. Its pretty funny to see a 2 year old grab two adult heads and ram them together for a nice, romantic kiss.

Jesse
#11 of 16 Old 01-24-2003, 04:06 AM

She's almost 3 and "commands" me to stop talking. It's very frustrating at times, and other times just amusing. I'm sure it will eventually pass.

Edited to add: I'm asking her/reminding her to say "excuse me" if she wants to tell me something and I'm talking to someone else. She does it about 25% of the time...which isn't too bad considering her age!
#12 of 16 Old 01-24-2003, 04:15 AM

if she feels she's not being heard she says, "I'm talking to you!". This also covers times when I'm on the phone or computer & don't hear her. She does also tell me to stop singing occasionally, but I can't remember what she says.
The other day at the midwife she kept trying to talk to me & I just kept saying, "And I'm talking to the midwife so you'll have to wait"!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#13 of 16 Old 01-25-2003, 01:00 AM

Yes, Shohanne, the "excuse me" is something we're working on here as well. My son likes to try to but in to a conversation with a gentle hit on the lap and the word, "No." If dh and I are conversing and ds wants to say something, he'll tap or hit me lightly and say, "No. Did you hear that noise?" so "Excuse me" is really what he means to say...we're ust working on getting it to replace "no."
#14 of 16 Old 01-25-2003, 04:25 AM

No advice, but DS just started this at 23 months, too. He tells DH to "Stop yelling at Mommy!" and we both laugh and say, "Daddy's not yelling, he's just LOUD!"

I think it's an attention thing, so we try to include him in the conversation. But I'm thinking it's also a control thing, like seeing how much of his world he can control to his liking and also seeing what happens when he makes that stern face and issues an order!

I'm assuming they grow out of it without too much guidance. I am going to try that great idea about saying "Excuse me" though.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#15 of 16 Old 01-25-2003, 05:07 AM

Yep, same here. 'Stop talking' 'Don't sing' 'Sit here' 'Stand up' 'Walk' 'Don't walk' 'Put the baby down' 'Eat this' 'Don't eat that'........

The list is endless, and it goes on and on, and changes constantly. I assume it is normal two year old behaviour. I hope so anyway, cos I can't stand the thought of being bossed around like this for another sixteen years.
#16 of 16 Old 01-27-2003, 02:05 AM

My dd is 28 mths and she does this sometimes too! Mostly it's the phone, as I am a single mom and usually it is the phone that is my companion! She will say "Get off the phone!" or today I picked up the phone to call somebody and she said "No no Mommy, the phone's not ringing!"
But she's right, I *do* talk on the phone too much!
Sara

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page