Suddenly Nursing Much More at Night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2003, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying not to post ONLY when I have a problem, but . . . today can hardly see straight as I am so tired. THird night in a row my 20 month old suddenly began these nursing marathons at night. He must have wanted to nurse six times last night. Prior to this sudden burst he'd been nursing maybe once or not at all during the night. What's going on, molars? I thought they didn't come in till after 24 months, around 27 months. He didn't eat a whole lot at supper each of these nights, wasn't hungry. Has this happened to any of you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 07:45 PM

Yes. I'll tell you -- when he does eat a good dinner, he doesn't do this to me at night! I *really* think that he chooses to nurse all night INSTEAD of eating dinner. He has told me, "I don't need to eat food Mama. I just nurse! Okay?" Ugh.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:07 PM

No advice, just support. My son is going through a similiar phase.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:38 AM

BTDT....
I have only learned through many post notes to myself saying "when sleep issues come up and ds increases nursing..nap with your son Traci!!!"
Molars or illness on the way my dear hang in there....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

Old 01-26-2003, 06:06 PM

Just wanted to add - it may be molars, or...it could be a major but thankfully quick growth spurt.

I JUST went thru this with our daughter - for 3 nights, we were marathon nursing anywhere from 5-9 times a night...it about killed me - but - it stopped just as quick as it started.

What I try to do is make sure that she has a snack before bed - some crackers/cheese/water or cereal etc.....she does ALOT better !!! (and so do I)

~Maura
Mama to Ryan(6)and Christy (2)
Old 01-27-2003, 01:51 AM

This same thing is happening to me! Dd turned two today and the last two nights have been driving me crazy. I don't even know how many times she nursed, I think she was just stayed attached pretty much all night, or at least woke every hour!!

I have been napping w/ her for the past couple weeks and it actually seems like it may have worsened the situation - she expects to be able to nurse through the nap and more at night.

We've also had a couple bouts w/ the flu in the last month, and two eye teeth popped though, so maybe she'll slow down now....

crossing my fingers for a good-nights sleep!
Which I better go get an earlier start to!

Sorry I didn't have any advise...just sympathy. Hang in there!
Old 01-27-2003, 02:55 AM

Check for molars and feed feed feed during the day! My dd is 28 mths and until recently was staying attached most of the night and was very restless, switching sides and rolling around almost the whole night. I just could not take it anymore! I night weaned about 6 wks ago and she now nurses to sleep at 8-9pm, and then at 6 am she can nurse as much as she likes until we get out of bed at 8-9am.
I am also working on daytime weaning and my goal for now is to have 3 daytime nursings, plus the early a.m. nurse-fest and nursing to sleep.
SO, my point is I have discovered how much better she sleeps since she is eating more during the day instead of nursing 24/7! We eat dinner around 6 and then she watches a video right before bed at about 7:30-8 (only thing that calms her down), and during the video I give her as much food as I can get her to eat. She is more willing to eat when she is "vegging" in front of the tube!
I also make sure she doesn't nurse *before* meals, preferably her last nursing is 1-2 hrs before a meal so she eats a lot, and I offer several snacks during the day. I basically cram as much food as possible in her all day!
Also, oatmeal is a great nighttime snack, or peanut butter, cheese, but I settle for pretty much anything dd will eat!
HTH!
Sara
Old 01-27-2003, 01:44 PM

My DD, 18 mo., is going throught he same thing. SHe was leeping through the night (no night weaning) on her own and had only been nursing to sleep during the day. All of the sudden she was nursing 4-5 times/ night and is still very clingy and wants to nurse a lot more during the day.
I think with DD she is cutting allof her teeth at once. She just has a mouth full all of the sudden. And she just went through a growth spurt. Her PJ's are now too short! :
Old 01-27-2003, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for answering. It took me a little while to get back to the board. Looking over the posts I see that it is in fact pretty common. I do suspect a growth spurt as I just noticed he's already outgrowing pajamas I got at the beginning of winter. He's back to nursing once maybe twice at night (thank God). I've been offering him more food when I think of it during the day and just before he goes to sleep and sure enough he accepts it. I guess he likes to snack a lot rather than eat meals even more than I thought. I'd forgotten about the growth spurts as I'd thought of it as more of an infant thing, thinking it kind of slowed down by now but I think there are actually a few more.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:00 PM

Emotional growth, too. My DD is not quite 2.5 and I see a BIG difference between her and the "older" toddlers.

Sometimes the growth is of a different kind, and they need you a little more.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:34 AM

I've been off the boards for awhile...please excuse the late response...but the reason I haven't been around is because of all this night nursing, too!!!! attatched all nigh, practically,....we got so desperate and exhausted that we had to do a mini-wean (Daddy put him to sleep for about a week...very difficult) to break the cycle. He now nurses whenever he wants again, and nurses to sleep again, but is not latched on all night and we are all more well rested and happy.
In retrospect, this is what worked for us:
Daddy took over nightime duties (just to get him to sleep in the first place) for about a week. If he ever did a total freak out of course I was available..nothing cruel and unusual.
Snacks before bed, and more dinner.

that's about it...he now sleeps better and so do I.
By the way, this all happened last month, at 20 months old...and guess how much he grew in the last 20 days? A WHOLE INCH!!! I checked after reading about the possibility of a growth spurt and whaddaya know???!!! I guess the idea of a growth spurt just hadn't crossed my mind since my son is so little and has grown almost nil in the last year....I think the last time he had a growth spurt that I recognized he was about 10 months old!!! Just had to share...it made me laugh and also consoled me that all of that nightnursing really did pay off!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:01 PM

I finally noticed my dd is getting two of her molars...gee it makes sense now! She has horrible diaper rash too, poor girl.

The night nursings seem a bit more bearable when I know the reason - and I also have been giving her some homeopathic stuff to help the pain.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:13 PM

Funny, this should come up now. My 2.5 year old has suddenly gone back to nursing more also. He still sleeps all night, but has been asking to nurse 3 or 4 times during the day. Yesterday, for the first time in a l o n g time, I played a game of Yahtzee while nursing. He's also been falling asleep around 4 pm each day. I'm hoping this is not the start of some illness coming on!

Jerri
Old 01-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Banned

Dd, 20 months, is also doing this. It's driving me nuts, because I work full time, but I'm certainly not going to cut her off, particularly since I don't see her much during the day. It's not molars; she has all her teeth for the time being. She's not getting sick. I thought the issue was the fact that I'm newly away from home. It's been even more significant since I had to leave one morning last week before she got up (and she was not thrilled to find dh there to greet her, and no mama). But as long as it doesn't kill me, we'll get through it.

User Tag List