Need Nap Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2003, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all....

I was just wondering how many of your 2 year olds still nap. I'm seriously thinking of either cutting Christine's naptime back or out all together.

For the last week and a 1/2 she'll take her normal nap (1:00-2:30pm) and then won't go to bed till nearly 10:30 !!!

I remember my son slowly cutting back on naps at this age and well...I'm in need of some advice.

On days that she doesn't nap - we have the "fussies" for a little while late afternoonish, but that can easily be cooled if we go outside - she loves that and perks right up.

Then, on those nights, after our normal evening routines (dinner/bath/story etc...) she nurses right to sleep around 7:30-8:00 ish - sometimes earlier.

My thing (pardon for the rambling...lol) I really like having the kids in bed by 8:30 - it gives me time to unwind and have a little "me" time kwim ???

I don't know...sorry this is long winded - we're at a crossroads I think and I really just need an ear...Thanks for listening !

~Maura
Mama to Ryan(6) and Christy (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 05:21 PM

I don't know if this will help answer your question. Dd has always needed a lot of sleep (like her parents). At 17 months, she sleeps usually 1-1/2 to 3 hours in the afternoon. Her disposition is not as good if she misses the nap, going out is a good way to vent crabbiness but it's zero degrees out today!

We like a late bedtime (lights out 9:30-9:45 or so), because this way Dh gets to see her and we have a relaxed evening, rather than hussling through dinner, bath, and bed by any earlier. And the nap really allows me to rejuvenate, I'm awful on days without it.

I'm not sure if the nap is what helps us keep this schedule though, because on days she doesn't nap much (yesterday she only napped 40 minutes), it doesn't seem like she falls asleep that much earlier or more easily or more deeply.

I like the late bedtimes, I also like that she/we will often sleep past 9AM!
Old 01-27-2003, 05:51 PM
kmp

My son's 27 months and he still naps in the afternoon. If there's something going on - we're visiting friends, for example - and he misses his nap he can be anywhere from great to fine to a bit crabby to down right miserable. Just depends. There have been times when I've thought I'd like to toss the nap outright, but I love the time I get to read, surf, call a friend etc that nap time allows. I like the me time.

Every child is different and I know nothing about sleep stuff but I do know that whether my son naps or not his bedtime (and whether it's difficult or not) doesn't change. He's in bed by 7:30 each night, nap or not, which is a function of routine more than anything, I think. Kinda like getting hungry around the same time each evening despite how much I've had leading up to the usual dinner hour.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

The more I think about it, the more that I'm thinking that she just may be off her routine more than anything...

We were in Va last week visiting dh's mom/dad and routines ??? Forget it ! Maybe we just need to ease back into our life huh ??

Today she was so tired at 1:00 that I put her down for her nap. When she woke up at 2:00 I got her up, rather than nursing her back to sleep for the second hour.

We'll see - I hate to cut the nap completely as she still definately needs sleep during the day. You'd think I'd remember this from the first youngin' - but I guess they're all different!

Thanks for your kind words - I'm just not a night owl - bedtime for me needs to be around 10:00 and when she's up till 11 or so, it just KILLS me !!

~Maura (aka : sleepless in NC)

User Tag List