Reverse cycle eater? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-27-2003, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd was a reverse cycle nurser. I have low supply (medically based, explained ad nauseum elsewhere) but much better supply at night that during the day. Dd disliked bottles, tolerated them during the day just enough to take the edge of her hunger, and would nurse most of the night.

Now she's looking like a nighttime eater. She nurses before we get out of bed, so she doesn't want much for breakfast. She often doesn't really start eating a lot until dinnertime. Then a before bath snack. Then an after bath snack.

The nighttime nursing is not much of a problem for me - it wouldn't be a problem at all if I wasn't worrying about what would happen if I had another baby.

What is an annoyance, if it continues, is the signing for food after lights are out.

I usually respond to 2 signs for water after lights go out, because Dd likes spicy food and I don't think warm breasmilk quenches her thirst the way cold water does (she points that she wants it fresh out of the bottled water dispenser). And after 2 reqeusts for water, the third is usually a ploy just to get us out of bed again because she doesn't want the water when we get to the kitchen.

But last night she signed for cheese. She hadn't eaten much all day, so I got out of bed and she ate a lot. I hope she doesn't decide that she wants to play all day and then, when it's boring at night, she'll finally want food.

What I'm thinking is that if she does this again tonight I may remind her that she can "croodle" all she wants but food is for the waking hours. But I hate to think of her hungry all night if she really didn't eat enough during the day and my milk is not plentiful enough to make up the difference.

I've read on other threads about getting kids to eat during the day so they nurse less at night, but nothing seems to make Dd eat unless she wants to. Does anyone have creative ideas?
#2 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sometimes just writing a post helps you come up with a strategy.

Last night Dd signed for cheese again after the lights were out. She had eaten a big after bath snack, so I said, "cheese tomorrow, sleep now."

She let out one yelp of complaint, then nursed to sleep.
#3 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 05:26 PM

Congratulations! I'm working on that too with dd and nursing. Maybe I'll offer her some cheese

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page