What should I fix her to eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-27-2003, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I am having a brain meltdown lately. I can't seem to come up with good meal ideas for my one year old DD. I try to give her food that we eat, but sometimes it isn't appropriate. For instance, today I had a turkey sandwich for lunch with tons of Wasabi mayo. I made her a smaller version without the wasabi cut up into little squares and served it with chunks of green beans. She was so bored!

Give me your best food ideas for one year olds, please. She has eight teeth so she will eat lots of stuff, but the veggies still have to be cooked.

Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 01-27-2003, 10:38 PM

Oh, I am the worst. I would love some ideas. I've been wondering lately if it is a problem that ds eats just simple foods - beans or chicken or broccoli or noodles, etc. I don't often cook full dinners, and I wonder if he is bored with such simple foods. I feel like everyone else is making curries and stews and stirfries and lasagnes and casseroles and pilafs, and I open a can of beans.

Anyway, ds is 20 months, but at 12 months he was eating stuff like beans, chicken, salmon, broccoli, blueberries, bananas, cut up pasta, and crackers.
#3 of 10 Old 01-28-2003, 07:33 PM

How do you know she was bored with what you gave her? My dd is just about the same age, and still eats simple things. Just like you're doing, I usually give her what we eat, but before I add the spices. If we're eating something that for whatever reason cannot be given to her, there are always the old standbys of tofu, beans, yogurt, cheese, pasta, etc.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#4 of 10 Old 01-28-2003, 09:46 PM

Mangos! My one year old loves them! I wouldn't worry, my husband and the family meal maker is a chef and our dd always eats the standard bland food. Chicken, fruits, vegies, pasta, cheerios, etc.
#5 of 10 Old 01-28-2003, 10:13 PM

Slightly off topic- Don't be afraid to spice your babies food. I have always given my son what ever we were eating spices and all. I use very little if any salt but we have a very free hand we everything else. All the basics-pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary etc but also some slightly spicy ones too like paprika both sweet and hot, creole seasoning mix (salt free) as well as a few yummy sweet/spicy blends we pick up each year at a BBQ cookoff contest. He also loves mustard mixed in his foods and on sandwiches. He is a huge fan of true kosher pickles. I don't offer them very often since they are so salty. His favorite way to eat broccoli is either sezchuan style with lots of garlic, ginger and soy or with melted pepper jack cheese. Of course I agree that wasabi mayo might be too much but you'll never know until you try!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#6 of 10 Old 01-29-2003, 12:35 AM

I wanted to say I hate spicy foods but my 17 month loves hot sauce, etc. When he was small (maybe 6 months?), before I had introduced solid foods I madea tofu scramble, which is somewhat spicy, but I like it. As spicy as I can take. Sis in law tries it while holding DS and out of habit (she had a DD about 15 month old at the time) gave him a spoon full. HE ate it up and wanted more! So his first food was spicy tofu-the kid loves it all!
#7 of 10 Old 01-29-2003, 02:03 AM

Fresh watermelon, yogert made with whole milk, cheese, cheese & veggie omlete, scrambled eggs, vegetarian sausage dipped in maple syrup, sweet potato french fries dipped in maple syrup, waffles & fruit.

I'm making myself hungry now.
#8 of 10 Old 01-31-2003, 03:21 AM

Gotta agree with the mamas who said "Don't be afraid of spice." My 13 month old son wasn't interested in a lot of bland food, like scrambled eggs, for instance until I added spice. Amazing, now he loves scrambled eggs... With salsa! :LOL He likes curry, roasted garlic hummus, and other strong flavors, too. All makes sense, I suppose, breastmilk being flavored by mama's diet and all.

But I digress. Today we had scrambled eggs (with salsa ), a spiced veggie medley (potatoes, snow peas, onions, carrots, broccoli), and (quartered) cherries. Lunch was (halved) cheese tortelini with tomato sauce followed by peaches. Dinner was red potatoes with garlic and dill, roasted chicken, and a bite or two of spinach.
#9 of 10 Old 01-31-2003, 11:45 AM

Another fan of spicy food here - dd loves chili (not too hot but plenty of spices), mild curry, garlic bread, strong cheese and isn't that thrilled with bland foods. I've never made separate meals for her - she eats what we do. She loves pasta with tomato sauce or brocolli, olive oil and parmesan cheese, vegetable soup, mac and cheese. She also likes rice - risotto is easy for them to pick up when they're younger. For finger foods avocados were a big hit at that age, cheerios, breadsticks (get the thin ones) which she dips in guacamole or cream cheese, rice cakes with peanut butter.
#10 of 10 Old 01-31-2003, 08:28 PM

Ditto everyone else as far as giving your child whatever you eat. But I can understand if she's not ready for that. Here's a list of favorite finger-friendly and other easy foods for budding eaters:

beans (garbanzo, edamame, kidney, lentils)
cubed cheese
corkscrew or penne pasta with butter and cheese
tofu
roasted chicken
egg scrambled with leafy greens
chunks of sweet potato, yam, acorn/butternut squash, or regular potato
mild sausage (no casing)

Try roasting your veggies (carrot, zucchini, cauliflower, potato, etc)in the oven with a bit of olive oil - it really makes them more flavorful than if you'd sauteed or steamed 'em. We grownups love 'em too.

My son likes all meats, including seafood (esp scallops!), but I find that beef tends to be tougher than lamb or pork.

Happy eating!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page