WHY is my 2 year old so unbearably grouchy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-15-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 23 months old and in the past month, he has become increasingly grouchy! I don't know what to do. His molars came in two wks ago, so I thought maybe that was the cause. However, that's over now and he is still grumpy and extremely whiny. He wakes up from his nap and sometimes seems crabbier than ever, which doesn't make any sense to me. Nothing has really changed, except maybe he misses some of the excitement from the holidays? So, is this just the terrible 2's or is something else going on? He's normally such a happy-go-lucky kid, this has been such an 180. He signs a lot and talks some too, and when I try to ask him what is wrong, he doesn't want to tell me most of the time and just ends up throwing a tantrum. He only naps about 1-1.5 hrs once a day now, but it seems like he's tired all of the time. I do not know what is going on, we have moved his bedtime up, thinking it might help (now it's about 7:15pm), but it mostly seems like he's crabbiest in the afternoons. In the morning he is usually ok, until it gets close to his naptime, you can tell he is tired. Has anyone else gone through this? How long did this last and do you have any other tips or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-15-2006, 05:22 PM

I don"t know if this is the same thing going on but we noticed DS being very grumpy and even lots of crying and totally out of sorts, especially when waking up from naps when it seemed his blood sugar was low. So I tried to make sure he had a good snack/ate before nap and then had something when he woke up. It was nearly immediate once the food hit his system and he was happy again. Not that there isn't grumpy times of course like we all have but it seemed kinda out of character for him the level of them and seemed tied to food and now we get regular human grumps and moods.
#3 of 5 Old 01-16-2006, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

TY for posting. You make a very good point. My toddler is a very finicky eater. Sometimes he has a good snack before his nap, other times he refuses a snack all together. I would prefer it if he ate lunch before his nap, but that usually results in him just playing with his food and not eating it. Maybe it is hypoglycemia.
#4 of 5 Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

I'm going to guess it's because he's two! Definitely things like molars, fatigue, hunger, etc. make it worse. But my son went through some really big mood swings when he turned two. They would sometimes happen for no apparent reason. He would just be really irrational and grumpy sometimes. Now that he is almost 3 they have almost ended. Sure he is still a little kid who sometimes tantrums, but they are rare and he is generally a total ray of sunshine!
#5 of 5 Old 01-16-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Rainbow-

Thanks for responding. I just couldn't understand if it was something my DH and I were doing wrong to make our toddler so grouchy. Sounds like it is just a phase... hopefully one that won't last long!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page