What distance do you think he can walk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2003, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I usually go for a 2 mile walk each evening, with our 2.5 year old in the jogging stroller. Recently, ds has expressed his desire to walk with us, so we've been letting him hop out of the stroller when we're near home (probably .25 miles from the house) and he has held my hand and run while I walk. Now, he's requesting to walk from the start, or at least earlier on in our stroll. At what age do you think it would be alright for him to walk a mile or more? I just have no concept of this for some reason. He is very active all day long (plays with other kids at his child care) so this walk would be right at the end of his day, before bed. I worry a little because he's a rather skinny little thing, and I'm not particularly interested in his burning up extra calories by running a mile each day! On the other hand, he's interested in being more independent...What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2003, 02:13 AM

Our dd (3 years old) can walk a couple of miles a day no problem, then she comes home and plays like crazy so she doesnt burn all her energy up on the walk.

Dd has been walk over a mile and a half since she was about a year and a half old. She doesnt even take a nap during the day so how she can do all this is beyond me.

Of course each child is differant, but I would think if a child shows interest at least let them try. Maybe take the stroller just in case he gets tired on the way back he has a ride the rest of the way
Old 01-28-2003, 02:41 AM

Agreed about letting them try whatever & whenever they feel ready, but with the strong suggestion that you take the stroller anyway.

A lot depends on not only the physical stimulation level but the visual stimulation level. We walk everywhere ... live in a big city ... and the kids like to get out and walk, but the busier the street, the less they want to. And I don't just mean the greater numbers of people, I mean more to look at, too.

And sometimes they think they can do more than they can.

- Amy
Old 01-28-2003, 02:57 AM

We live about a mile from the library and my 22 mo dd and I often walk it without a stroller. We usually drive home though (dh works right by the library). I carry her when she gets tired, but she generally makes it most of the way. You might consider bringing a sling with you in case your little one gets tired and you don't want to deal with the stroller.

peace, Beth
Old 01-28-2003, 04:14 AM

I agree that each kid is different, and that visual stimulation and weather could affect the outcome...

Our dd was a big walker...by the time she was 3 she was able to walk most of an 18 hole golf course. Dh would take her with him and I would have the jogger....just to give her a break if she wanted...she rarely did!

I worked for a Montessori school where very young toddlers were taken on VERY long nature walks.They loved it!

Follow the child....

mamapoppins
Old 01-28-2003, 08:06 PM

one more thing...

Walking longer distances with a toddler is a lot of fun, but you need to plan for meandering. You *will* have to stop often to pick flowers, examine cracks in the sidewalk and pick up rocks. I think it's all part of the fun.

peace, Beth
Old 01-29-2003, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When madeline was about 2 we used to walk a mile every day. no problem. She would start dragging by the end but we also took the walk to burn up that last bit of energy right before her nap.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List