You probably get this a lot but....When is a toddler a toddler?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-29-2003, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it an age thing or when they start to toddle around? Tracy is slowly taking unassisted steps. But only one at a time before tumbling. I'm soo not ready to call him a toddler and I guess I don't have to but I was wondering when the switch was.

Another question about early walkers. not that Tracy is an early walker...I'm not sure when th even is. He was 9 months old on Sunday. How do communicate with them? He doens't have the reasoning of an older child. He barely understands when we tell him no. I still talk to him like he can understand but I know he doesn't. Cause if I say, "Tracy we don't eat electric cords" He just sits and smiles at me and laughs like I'm telling a joke

Just a couple questions for ya!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 4 Old 01-29-2003, 04:53 PM

My DD didn't walk until 17 months - 9 months is pretty young actually. I think 12 months is the average.

But anyway, here is the answer to your question. A toddler is a toddler when they start saying "no" to everything! To me, toddlerhood was not a physical state, but a state of mind!

In all seriousness, I would say around a year.

I do have one suggestion. Since your DS is an early walker, I would suggest that you do some sign language with him. It is not an absolute fact, but generally kids who walk younger will not talk until a bit later. You may cut down on a lot of future frustration if you teach him to communicate with some signs.

Good luck! And keep doing what you're doing with the communication, he'll get it eventually.

LoveBeads
Maddy Moo - almost 3
#3 of 4 Old 01-29-2003, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thats a good idea. He started saying dada at about 6 months and mum at 7 months and last week he started syaing kittykittykittycat

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#4 of 4 Old 01-30-2003, 12:11 AM

I'm still not ready to call my one year old a toddler either! My 2 and a half year old is definatly a full blown toddler: :LOL I think it started at around 15 or 16 months when he was really walking around and starting to talk and go through all the other typical "toddler issues". To me, 9 months is definatly a baby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page