does your baby swallow food whole? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-01-2003, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed my DD - 1 year - swallows food right away hardly chewing at all. Though I give her small pieces so it's easy, I still worry about 1. possible choking and 2. her digestive system being able to handle big chunks of food. She has molars already but she just likes to swallow fast.

The other night she got a fever and threw up in her bed. When I went to clean the sheets I found whole pieces of brocoli florets in there that looked like they just came out of the steamer! Weird!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-01-2003, 10:48 AM

hi. my 2 yr old does this same thing.

mel
#3 of 4 Old 02-01-2003, 06:16 PM

My son exclusively did this (and never, ever chewed) until he was at least 18 months old. He has a major texture aversion and doesn't always like the way foods feel in his mouth. He used to get the "shivers" with every bite of food! The only thing he would chew was bread. He's gotten a lot better, and I have also found that if I put a lot of food on his fork (he's still not coordinated enough to do that part alone) he has to chew because there's too much going in his mouth to swallow without mushing it up. Sounds weird, but it works for him. Yeah, I remember seeing whole foods in his puke and poop, too. Actually, he pooped in the potty last week and called me in to see, "Look, there are beans in my potty!" Sure enough...
#4 of 4 Old 02-01-2003, 07:28 PM

:LOL Ian's been getting quartered cherries this week and they're coming out exactly like they go in...

Sometimes he does chew his food, though. And then usually spits it out in a big drool-coated slimy mass.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page