Weekly Toddler Activities - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 191 Old 03-07-2003, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow -- Thanks, Dana! Finally a use for all those unsolicited junk mail CD's from AOL!!!
#62 of 191 Old 03-07-2003, 04:33 PM

Oh yeah what a great idea .We also made a fridge but it was a bit too tippy and I'm afraid he enjoys the real thing too much.
Meg
#63 of 191 Old 03-09-2003, 11:41 PM

Usually I just lurk, but I have a question. The nonpop bubbles recipe calls for glycerin. Is this glycerin soap and do you grate it? Or can you buy just glycerin - if so, where?
Thanks,
girrllie

P.S. I love this thread and check it all the time. Thanks so much for all the ideas.
#64 of 191 Old 03-11-2003, 06:40 PM

You should be able to buy glycerin at a drugstore. I have before. It is not glycerin soap... Of course I requisition glycerin from my lab (ultra pure ) but I don't thinkI can send some to everyone...
#65 of 191 Old 03-11-2003, 07:39 PM

If you can't find glycerin at the drugstore, I think I got mine at the craft store.

Speaking of non-pop bubbles, has anyone had any luck making bubble solution with health food dishwashing soap. I've tried Ecover and 7th Generation (with glycerin added) and they don't bubble very well. I think I'll have to go with Joy, but would prefer not to cause ds thinks its funny to get so much soap in his mouth by sucking on the wand that he can blow bubbles without using the wand. can you say, yummy?

thanks for any tips
angie

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
#66 of 191 Old 03-11-2003, 09:29 PM

We got one of those bubble 'kits' that has a large (about 8in diameter) plate/bowl thing for the bubble solution and two 8in diameter bubble wands, with small 'bubble holes' in it. It's made to wave through the air instead of being blown through. We just got it on the toy isle of the grocery store (I think.) My dd can wave it around. (She cannot blow bubbles the normal way, yet.) The big plus is that the bubbles don't get poured on the ground after 20 seconds. (I especially like one of the wands because I can make a bubble bigger than a basketball and dd yells "big bubble, big bubble".) We play with it almost everyday.

I do have a question: What's the trick to making homemade bubbles? I have glycerin and Joy, but maybe I'm doing the proportions wrong. The bubbles barely hold together if they form at all... especially the big wands. (We did get a gallon of the storebought kind when it was on sale and it works fine... what recipe should I be using?

Thanks,
Dana
#67 of 191 Old 03-13-2003, 05:33 PM

I hope this hasn't been posted yet, I haven't read through all the great ideas yet, but wanted to add one my daughter really likes. Friday is Clean Sheet Day in our house, and when I'm putting the sheets back on our queen size bed, we play parachute with the big flat sheet. I just flap it up really high, and let it fall down on us, and then pretend I can't find Sarah, when I see her, I make a big deal out of it. Boy, does she laugh! Hope this helps someone!
#68 of 191 Old 03-17-2003, 11:34 PM

I am so glad this thread is still alive!! Thank you all for posting your ideas I get so much from it!
#69 of 191 Old 03-17-2003, 11:35 PM

Oh, I would love to get a bubbles recipie.

Does anyone have one?
#70 of 191 Old 03-18-2003, 02:56 PM

I found out a couple more ideas this weekend.
For older toddlers who are beginning represetnational drawing. Make a listening drawing. Go outside and draw yourself in the middle of the page. Then listen all around you and draw the sounds that you hear. They were doing this in a museum where they had natural sounds piped in, but DD is way too young. I also didnt' want her to embelish the real art so I didnt' let her draw at all

And while the food coloring is out, a cool touch tray can be made with cooked spagetti which has been dyed different colors. I suppose you may need to add oil to it so the noodles don't stick. I will try it out soon.

And, this weekend at a part the kids made maracca's (sp?) with clear plastic bottles and different colored beans (the host had washed and dried the beans so the inside doesn't get dusty). DD couldn't care less, but the older kids (2-3 yo) really got into it. Then we glued the lids shut and decorated with stickers and played rythm section.
#71 of 191 Old 03-18-2003, 03:09 PM

Here is a flagrant copyright violation of a couple of websites that had bubble recipes. Basicly they are all the same as the one given by mama2kyla, but there were some additional tips too

•1 gallon water
•½ cup Joy ® dish washing liquid
•¼ cup glycerin (from your local pharmacy or supermarket)
This solution gets better with age. The longer it sits, the stronger the bubbles.

4 ½ cups water
½ cup dishwashing detergent
½ cup corn syrup or glycerin

Combine water and detergent.
Stir well, but do not shake.
For stronger bubbles, add ½ cup corn syrup or glycerin, or more detergent.
Experiment with different brands of dishwashing detergent until you find one that works best for you.
HINT: Playing with bubbles can be messy and slippery! Try blowing bubbles outdoors, near the kitchen sink, or in the bathtub! Watch your step so you don’t fall on slippery spills.

Do you want bigger, better bubbles? Try these bubble tips:

If you get a lot of small bubbles instead of one big one, you are probably blowing too hard or you have the bubble wand too close to your mouth.

Finish your bubble with a quick twist of your wrist to seal it.

Prepare your bubble solution two to three days in advance. Save any extra bubble solution to use later.

Make sure your bubble maker and anything your bubble may touch is wet.

Let the bubble maker sit in the bubble solution for a few seconds. Don't slosh it around the solution - this creates suds and foam, which are bubble busters!

Look for cool humid days, shady areas. Avoid windy days!
#72 of 191 Old 03-18-2003, 04:04 PM

Thank you for the bubble recipie!! I appreciate it!
#73 of 191 Old 03-18-2003, 05:40 PM

AutumnWind was wondering about using glue with babies. I've had success using clear contact paper. Cut a picture frame shape out of construction paper. Then peel the backing off a piece of clear contact paper and center it in the frame. Then have baby stick whatever -- leaves, confetti, feather, ribbon curls, tissue paper onto the paper. It really sticks fairly well. I had my playgroup kids make these as Valentines this year. I cut red out heart-shaped frames and they added red and pink ribbons, feather and pieces of paper doily. It was a big hit!
#74 of 191 Old 03-19-2003, 06:53 PM

Back soon for my week...

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#75 of 191 Old 03-19-2003, 07:04 PM

I am mostly drawing from Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready, making modifications for how Meg liked things. Meg is 15 months so my ideas are based pretty much near this age.

1. WHAT IS MOVING? Get three objects and tie a string to each one with about a foot extra length hanging off. Cover all three objects with something, leaving the strings hanging out. Tug on a string and let the child guess which object you are tugging on. Meg wasn't too into guessing but she loved watching the objects appear and disappear from the towel. We just did one or two at a time, not all three.

2. LOOK AT ME Lay the child down on a big piece of paper and trace around her body. Together, draw facial features, clothing items, etc., and name them. Let the child point to different parts and name them for her, or name things and let her point, etc. Leave the drawing out for a long time, maybe hang it on the fridge.

3. LET'S PLAY BALL Meg loves balls. About six inches in diameter is a great size for rolling and catching, but many other sized provide good variety and encourage different skills. We roll the ball back and forth between us, throw it at targets, bounce a small plastic one on wood or tile, bounce Meg up and down on a really large one, etc. Much fun!

4. CONTAINERS AND LIDS Variations on this have been mentioned before but there are just so many great ideas with these as well. Get about six containers with their lids, some different sizes and some similar. Let the child just explore with them for a while, trying different lids on different containers, nesting the containers, etc. Then if you want, show her which lids go with which containers. Maybe put out one or two containers with the wrong lids and see how she reacts. Lots of fun!

5. PICK UP Get several objects like a cup, a block, a spool, a clothespin, a spoon, etc. Also get a paper bag they will all fit into. Name each object for the child and let her take them all in and out of the bag, maybe making requests to her along these lines. Encourage her to find other things to put in the back. Lay all the objects out and say the name of one of them and ask her to put it in the bag. Do the rest of them, and do the same thing taking them out. Again, lots of variations.

I'm always reminded by ideas like this that the simplest things can provide a lot of entertainment for little ones who are discovering objects and tasks for the first time!

Enjoy those babes!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#76 of 191 Old 03-23-2003, 11:28 AM

I also think it would be great to have a thread for the 2t crowd.

Thanks for doing this! I get so many great ideas!!!!!!!!
#77 of 191 Old 03-24-2003, 09:43 AM

Apologies if some of these ideas have already been thrown out - I haven't had time to keep up with this thread the past couple of weeks. Anyway, here goes:

1. Laundry basket fun - Dd is obsessed with laundry baskets. She sits in one while I push her around the house. Recently, she's also been putting her stuffed animals in the basket and taking them for rides. You can also hide things under them and play peek-a-bo.

2. Now that it's spring, dd likes to copy me in the garden. I've set aside a patch for her to dig in and gotten her some shovels, buckets and a watering can. Older kids can plant their own seeds, take care of the plants and watch things grow. Herbs are easy, and depending on the climate, you could also plant vegetables and fruit and enjoy the results at the end of the summer.

3. As my family lives on the other side of the Atlantic, we've started sending artwork over. Older kids can draw things for grandparents etc to color in and send back and vice versa. All kids like getting mail and something like this helps them to keep in touch with family that aren't as close as you might likes. It also helps grandparents to feel more involved.

4. I used to do this with the 2.5 y.o. when I was a nanny. We'd go out for a walk and find some nice big rocks. When we got home, she'd spend hours outside washing all of the dirt off of them and letting them dry. When this was done, we used to paint them. They can then be given to people as gifts or you can make a nice rock garden in the yard.

5. Dd also loves playing tapping games. We'll tap the table rhythmically, and say stop, throwing our hands up in the air. Now that she's starting to talk she loves to do this herself and even plays with her own reflection in the mirror. It's great for when you're out to eat etc and they start to get restless.

Enjoy the week - hope these prove to be of some use to you!
#78 of 191 Old 03-24-2003, 10:52 PM

Thanks, reese, can't wait to try them out - esp. the tapping!

#79 of 191 Old 03-27-2003, 12:57 AM

Will this thread keep going this spring? If so sign me up, if you need me!
#80 of 191 Old 03-27-2003, 02:43 PM

A couple more to add for this week. Finn's 21 months to give you an age guide.

1) Reversals - have your toddler help you get dressed. Finn thinks it's crazy and laughs so hard even if he doesn't manage to get my sock on the foot at all.

2) Make your own push toy with a paint roller. We have a paint roller without the fabric thing that we've attached to a curtain rod (you could probably use a dowel as well) and Finn spends eons pushing it all over the basement (where we go to do laundry). It's been particularly fun lately b/c the spring thaw has flooded our basement in spots, so he rolls the paint roller throught the puddles, making interesting designs on the floor and getting all wet.

3) Other way - On our first floor, the rooms connect with each other to make a loop, so we spend lots of time just running around in circles. Finn likes to play "other way" where he tells us which way to run and he runs the other direction. When we meet up, he says "other way" again and off we go. He doesn't care much about the speed we run, so in between changing directions, we can often clean up a bit.

4) Wheels on the bus in motion - He still loves this song and to keep me from going crazy, I sometimes sing a version where I make him do all the motions with his whole body. E.g., for the wipers, I lift him up and do the wiper motions from side to side. For the horn, I pull him towards me until our noses touch

These are pretty basic, but I'll try to add some more organized ones later.

Cheers
Angie

#81 of 191 Old 03-28-2003, 04:25 PM

Neat activities, mammas! Thanks!

I stumbled onto some neat books I am going to check out at the library to enhance our daily activities with ds.

I thought I'd share them with you:
Just read "You Are Your Child's First Teacher" it was awesome!

The other ones that look really neat in the link below for daily activities are:
"Seven Times the Sun"
"Festivals, Family, and Food"
"Beyond the Rainbow Bridge"
"Children at Play"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...479119-8225536 ~scroll down to "You may be interested in these items"

Happy playing and many mama blessings to you!!
#82 of 191 Old 03-29-2003, 09:44 PM

Thank you for the rock painting idea! What a great one. We are going to try it out this week.

As for the book recommendations. I loved "You are your child's first teacher also.
#83 of 191 Old 03-31-2003, 05:09 PM

Just two more ideas that I got from the Under the Chinaberry book (which I'm loving).

For a rainy day, put some tempera paint powder on a piece of paper and let the rain paint it.

Grow real grass for your easter or equinox baskets by buying some wheat grass seeds at the health food store and sprouting them in a little bit of water (takes I think about 7 days)

Angie

#84 of 191 Old 03-31-2003, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the activity idea, Lim One. So that book is good (Under the Chinaberry Tree)?? I saw it yesterday at the book store. Caught my eye b/c is has mindful parenting in the title...hmmn. Maybe I will have to buy it. Have you seen their website? I looked it up when I got home from the store yesterday. http://www.chinaberry.com/showsearch...hinaberry+tree

Anyone here been able to go on a bug hunt this spring in your yard or nearby park? Ds is 15 months and loves it! I really want to buy the book "Earthways" to get more outdoor/environment ideas. Flying a kite is another thing we will be doing soon. Here's a website with kite making instructions.http://search.family.go.com/family/q...eyword&qt=kite

Peace to you all!
#85 of 191 Old 04-01-2003, 07:16 PM

I was wondering if anyone can help me out.

I am looking for labels from EARTH'S BEST baby food. If you have any that you would be willing to give me I would appreciate it!

They come off really easy with just a short soak in water. I can make arrangements to get them off line -- just PM me.

Thanks!
#86 of 191 Old 04-02-2003, 06:41 AM

In the kitchen:
DD helps me to cut mushrooms with a butter knife.
DD gets things out of the fridge / puts them back for me.
She pours for me, helps me with soups, salads, etc.

In the bathroom:
She helps scrub the tub: she pours the baking soda in with a shaker and sprays the soap.
I have made her her own "mouthwash" using a tiny drop of DHs mouthwash, water and a bit of rose water (food grade). She knows how to spit and doesn't swallow.

In the living room:
We've made a game of sticking stickers all over an office-sized steel filing cabinet. One day I will shelac it.

We make our own playdough.

DD gives the cat fresh water.

At the laundrymat:
DD puts the quarters in, helps put in the clothes, take them out, etc.
#87 of 191 Old 04-03-2003, 03:03 AM

28 (almost) m old Sam is obsessed with feeding the birds- he has a little wooden feeder, which he can set in a bin of sunflower seeds and fill with a little cup (we use a funnel for his thistle feeder)- if he spills, no biggie, it's in the bin. then he carries it and he must be the one to put it on a little branch (sometimes i lift him, if we are in a hurry; sometimes we get the step-stool.)

we also make 'suet' cakes from peanut butter, some kind of fat, & enough good corn meal to make a stiff dough- great fun to mush up and form into the little plastic form (we just bought a store-bought suet package to get the container for it.) he has had two kinds of woodpeckers now, and is getting very familiar with all the different kinds of birds.

we have got more bird crap on our car than anyone in the neighborhood:
there are tradeoffs

suse
#88 of 191 Old 04-03-2003, 05:47 AM

My ds is 15 months old and I am loving to see him explore the mama earth this spring. It's so good for his soul and mine. Here are some fun things for the younger ones(and older ones too ) to do outside, no purchases are necessary:

Mama earth is the teacher~Take them to a park, open field, etc. and let them lead the way. Stay close and treat everything as a learning experience for them. If they want to touch the rocks, water, dirt, whatever it is a huge pleasure for them. My dh and I went for a walk to the local park and dh told ds dont go in the water. Which is hugely frustrating for a child that wants to learn EVERYTHING about his environment. So ds was able to get to the edge of the water and splash his hands in the water, throw rocks in the water, and stomp his feet in the water, just at the edge so his feet didnt get real wet (he needs water shoes).

Front and backyard fun~Try not to hover when in a fenced in yard. Let them run, explore, touch, smell, etc. Try to set your yard up so it is a safe place to explore. They need to be able to direct themselves here. They are learning to make decisions here and be in control of their exploring in this activity. If they seem open to your ideas you can show them the bird nests, budding flowers, trees, bugs/worms under rocks, flying birds, butterflies, etc. Let nature take its course here. Have fun, relax and enjoy watching your toddler take charge as much as possible while you try to watch out for any possible accidents that may be prevented here, but try NOT to be overly controlling in this activity.

Go on a picnic~ Make it simple and go somewhere that is toddler friendly so they can have a lot of freedom to run and explore w/o a lot of NOs or "dont do that" to take the fun out. Let them get their faces and clothes dirty with food to allow them to feed themselves. The pure pleasure of feeding oneself AND touching food is a HUGE pleasure to any budding toddler.

My ds is very expressive and bright. I notice that the more I let him lead the way the easier it is on me and the more he feels in control and less frustrated about some of the things he is not able to do. We have a very trusting and close attachment. The more I believe he is able to make his own decisions about what he wants to learn, the closer we become. I hope you have a fun time exploring with your toddler! Happy spring!

#89 of 191 Old 04-09-2003, 06:32 PM

I chanced on another activity this week - it kept dd and her friend occupied for 45 minutes the other day which must be a new record. We filled a bucket with water and threw a bunch of clothes pins in. The two of them spent the whole time taking the pins out, putting them into another bucket and dumping them back in the water. Don't know why it's so interesting, but I've used it all week to keep her amused!
#90 of 191 Old 04-09-2003, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Reesa. Funny, but I was just thinking about this thread today and realizing that it has probably run its course. Curly Locks, I know you expressed interest in keeping it going . . . maybe after some time off we can come back and start again? All of our babies will be older and maybe we'll be ready for new types of activites.

Of course, everyone is welcome to keep posting as great ideas arise -- I'm sure we're all happy to be on the receiving end!

Thanks again, All, for so many fabulous ideas! What lucky babes there are out there in real-life MDC land!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page