Loose stools in toddler - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-07-2006, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering if and when I need to be concerned about my dd's recent loose stools. On friday, she had one loose stool in the evening. Then on saturday she didn't eat much breakfast and threw up in the car (which I think was due to car sickness since she was reading and this happened in the same situation once before). She had a total of 3 loose stools saturday, 4 sunday, 3 monday, and one so far today. She has started to have more of an appetite but we are trying to limit her to bready things, rice, some noodles, bananas and applesauce. She has nursed and had tons of water throughout. She is really well hydrated. On sunday and monday nights she had trouble sleeping and complained of her tummy until she had a BM and then was fine. Last night she slept fine. The stools were getting more pasty but today daycare reported that her diaper was so runny it leaked. Now, she is begging me for a peach. What to do, what to do?

I sort of feel like she is fine and has had no fever, so I should just watch her diet and let it work itself out. We didn't add anything new, she had a slight runny nose over the weekend and has been really chomping on her hands, but she has all her teeth and I don't feel any 2-year molars. Any other mamas have an experience like this.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#2 of 5 Old 02-08-2006, 03:08 AM

Do the BM have a strong sour smell to them? Rotavirus is going around here and my DD got it really bad. The signature thing for Rotavirus is the diarrhea that smells.
My dd had it so bad (diarrhea, throwing up and fever) for the second day that we ended up in the hospital for dehydration. As long as the toddler stays hydrated, they should be fine.
-Tristana
#3 of 5 Old 02-08-2006, 10:39 AM

all they've ever told me to do is make sure he stays hydrated and do bananas, rice, applesauce, toast...

that said, when *I* went in for kinda the same thing, *I* was told fiber, more veggies, etc. and to limit dairy.

so....I would probably give her a little peach if she REALLY wants it. But limit the amount. if it makes things worse again, I wouldn't do it again.

I don't know if you do milk (besides nursing!) and/or juice, but if you do, I'd eliminate them (but keep nursing!) until this goes away. Sugary stuff and sometimes dairy can make things worse while they're recovering.

A doc is just going to tell you what you're already doing, I wouldn't go in unless it's still going on maybe next Monday. Seriously, they don't get concerned unless it's been a week or so or your babe is dehydrated.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#4 of 5 Old 02-13-2006, 02:37 PM

I hope your dc has improved.

My 12-month old ds is back to having quasi breastmilk poops mixed with the few solids he ate a few hours prior. Is this what (nursing) toddler diarrhea looks like?

Ds had huge poops on Thursday night, Friday morning, Friday night, etc. The rest have been little but frequent (every 2 hours or so). Low grade fever Thursday and Friday. Cough, snotty nose, drool - all intermittent. We're on day 10 of the snotty nose, day 6 on the cough, and day 5 on the "super poop".

Our daycare has a policy of no sick kids until 24 hours symptom free. "They can come back when they're no longer contagious." So what about all those snotty-nosed kids I see in other rooms? But I digress...

I know this is viral in origin and I'd really like to toss some sodium ascorbate into the mix. But I'm not sure how much to give. "Until bowel tolerance" is not helpful in this situation.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#5 of 5 Old 02-13-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. Thankfully, dd began to feel better mid-week. She had her last day of loose stools on Tuesday (only one) and is now back to normal. There has been a stomach bug going around and I can only hope she was partially spared due to her committment to nursing!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page