Who thought it would be a good idea to let Britney Spears design toddler clothes? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 117 Old 02-14-2006, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OPh I wanted to comment on age. Most of the kids i see dressed in really secualized adult clothing is older moms and/or middle upper class and up. Super trendy, right now is expensive. the ones who shop as a hobby and own enough clothes to take care of a small city.

i was 21 when I had my dd and and would never have thought of dressing her all grown up. Not that I could have affopred too. but I still remember our first bag of handme downs and pulling out the prized hannah anderson dress. that thing has ben through 6 kids over 11 years, ha had two buttons ripped violently and has a small hole that was there when we got it 8 years ago and still (beside the three small holes) looks good as new. And is cute, and can be dressed up or down. aaahhhh memories . . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#62 of 117 Old 02-14-2006, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok well IMO, we live in a culture that is way too child-centered, i.e. child-segregating. Little kids have not only their own unique clothes (complete with moronic and random pictoral themes -- 'cause you know how all babies love bears and diaper pins), but also their own bedrooms filled with child-sized, non-functional belongings (why cut real food when you can have "natural" wood food?), and their own workplaces (schools), again furnished with non-functional busy "work", and completely separate from their would-be mentors and role models. Stepping aside from the Cult of Blissful Childhood...what is wrong with kids wearing clothes similar to the clothes adults wear? Are you offended by tiny flannel shirts, pea coats, neckties, blue jeans? Do people really grow up faster for lack of primary colored overall outfits?

Before you flame me, keep in mind that I realize a little wood food never hurt anyone. I'm going for more of a general observation here, not intended to impugn any particular family.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#63 of 117 Old 02-15-2006, 12:47 AM

I saw a size 2T thong once and couldn't believe it! What toddler would be happy with undies stuffed in their little tushies?

Personally, I'd rather buy clothes with a little more coverage than some of what's available these days, but it's every parent's personal choice how to dress their child.
#64 of 117 Old 02-15-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Would be intresting to know, those of us who don't like the skanky toddler clothes are we mainly older mums? I'm 39.
I am 20 and have 20 month old and 5 month old DDs. I can't stand the clothing easier and wish simple cute childish clothing were easier to find everywhere.

Pam
#65 of 117 Old 02-15-2006, 09:11 AM

Well the toys my child plays with are totally different then the clothes she wears. My dd wears what I wear. Jeans, coats, button up tops but like me she does not wear mini skirts, hoochie tops etc.
#66 of 117 Old 02-15-2006, 12:41 PM

I'm 21 and I have a 1 year old DS, I refuse, REFUSE to let him wear that 'skater punk' style thats so dang popular right now. I do like the 'little man' look, but he wears plain shirts (solid colors, stripes or plaid, no decal or pictures at all) and jeans or kakis. The only 'designed' shirts he has are a handful of NASCAR/Sprint Car shirts because my dh is a huge race fan. I'm appalled at the little girl/teeney bopper styles now-a-days. If I ever have a DD I'm going to have to make her clothes myself because she won't be wearing that stuff!

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#67 of 117 Old 02-15-2006, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminer
what is wrong with kids wearing clothes similar to the clothes adults wear? Are you offended by tiny flannel shirts, pea coats, neckties, blue jeans? Do people really grow up faster for lack of primary colored overall outfits?
I don't think anyone would argue that *any* item of child's clothing that can also be found in adult sizes is inappropriate (and I think you know that and are just trying to make a point), and I totally know what you're saying about the ridiculously cutesy kids' clothes that are out there -- the earlier poster's comment about "this is more offensive to me than a skimpy outfit" with a link to a pastel, Christopher Robin-type outfit on a little boy was hilarious.

I think the posters who are saying that adult-like clothing is inappropriate for kids are trying to make the distinction that it's not showing skin, per se, that strikes them as "wrong," but rather the *style* of clothing that the kids are wearing. A toddler in a flower-print tank top and a short skirt with a ruffle-butt diaper cover is cute, but a toddler in pleather pants, a criss-cross top, and wedge boots isn't (IMO), despite the fact that the second outfit probably actually covers up more skin than the first.

My SIL dresses my niece in outfits like the second one described above, and I always just feel sorry for my niece because she looks so uncomfortable -- she can't run well in her shoes, and her pleather pants are not stretchy or breathable, so it's harder for her to play. Not to mention that the clothes cost a fortune so my SIL's focus is on not letting her kids get dirty rather than dressing them in such a manner that they can just have fun and move around. I honestly have no idea where she finds these clothes, because, like many other posters here, most of the stuff I see in the stores is either too cutesy or what I would call "normal."

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#68 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 02:36 AM

This thread has been really eye-opening for me. I am a huge fan of kids clothes, I enjoy shopping and dressing my kids. It's a fun hobby for me. I have a daughter and a son. I tend to gravitate towards funkier styles for both kids - and somewhere between smocked jonjons and halter tops.

I must say I am totally shocked by how many people think a child's navel exposed in a swimsuit is wrong or inappropriate. Is this really the message we want to send our kids? That their navels are somehow sexual and we must cover them for fear that a hypothetical predator may find it arousing? I just do not get this. I realize there IS no right or wrong answer here, as it comes down to personal beliefs, but like I said, eye opening. My daughter loves bikinis so she can go potty - never once did it enter my mind that her 4 year old tummy bared would be labelled "hoochie." To me...that's just sad. I find it particulary upsetting here, for reasons I probably should not go into.

I'm with another poster in wondering how primary colored animal overalls makes a child look more like a child than "urban" (what does that even mean?) jeans and a baggy sweatshirt...?

I think the problem here is that lots of people associate a style of clothing with a certain ethnicity, a certain socio-economic background, a certain sexual fetish, a lack of religion perhaps, a lack of moral fiber maybe, and they find it inappropriate to see a child (or their child) associated with this. This reeks of prejudism to me, not in the racial sense, but the literal-judge-a-person-by-their-cover mentality that I hope not to pass on to my kids.

This is my 1 year old...in his "inappropriate" skater clothes.
http://www.ssb4.net/users/18794/levi...1139796312.jpg
http://www.ssb4.net/users/18794/img_0638.jpg
http://www.ssb4.net/users/18794/img_0974.jpg

And yeah, those are his black high top Chuck Taylor shoes. LOL! He loves them with all of his little heart.
#69 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 03:25 AM

lucy your kid is really cute..some stuff no I wouldn't put on my kid but if dh is no longer allowed to wear that clothes then kid isn't lol..Nothing wrong just not what I want my kid in personally. Its not that its the navel that bothers me its the fact shes wearing a triangle top now if it was a tankini fine.
#70 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 04:17 AM

Lucy, your ds is a real cutie...but I still don't like those clothes. Not because they remind me of gangs, but just because I don't like the look on little kids.
I actualy don't like them at all, but at least they look more like they belong on older boys, more like 8+. They have years and years to wear that stuff so I look for cute stuff as long as possible. To me one and two year olds especialy should have cute clothes. They don't surf or skateboard. You can't point to and say 'oh look at the nice skateborder' when you put it on. Well I guess you could but that would never cross my mind, were I would point out 'The stripy zebra' which I think is more intresting to a toddler. And yes I'de be the one buying the primary colored animal overalls
#71 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli
Hmm. Call me wierd, but I find all this obsessing about "skimpy" "skanky" "sexy" clothing on toddlers to be another example of how we are manipulated by the culture of fear in the US. If the first thing you think when you see some toddler skin is that someone is getting turned on by it, you are projecting the "every person is a danger to my kid and wants to rape her" media hype onto your own kid.

A toddler's body is not any more sexy in a halter than in a T shirt, except in the eye of the beholder. If you are beholding it that way, perhaps YOU are the one who needs to examine your perceptions.

and im still finding it hard to see what the problem is...
im hearing that clothes shouldnt look so adult which seems to be narrowed down to shirts that give the appearance of breasts... im assuming this isnt padding or false breast in toddlers clothing but merely a certain cut of the top. which i personally dont see as a problem. and besides theres nothing wrong with breasts, theres nothing sexual about breasts. its not like a heart shaped neckline on a toddler is sexual. i dont understand that logic at all. the fronts of shirts can get boring especially with no topography but somehow its sexual if attention is drawn to it? i understand the fear of pediophiles, i think we all do as mothers, but to blame clothing is absurd. and it really needs to be said. clothing doesnt make children grow up too fast, but i think sexualizing a toddler in a triangle bikini might...
i had more thoughts but dd is demanding we go to bed right now

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#72 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 05:11 AM

Lucysmama I think your ds is adorable and I like his clothes.

I don't have a problem with little girls showing their tummy especially if it's in a bathing suit. My dd has a two piece hello kitty swimsuit and I never even thought about it being to provocative.

The toddler thong is bizarre. I've never seen one before.

Can't imagine why the heck they'd even make them!?!?

I did see a tiny *training* bra at walmart that was padded. I was like wtf? It was totally the size for a say 10 yr old but it was like a little red push up victoria secret style bra. Hanging right up next to the undershirts and training bra's similar to what my mom bought me.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#73 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom
Hmmm... I personally find clothes like this
http://www.strasburgchildren.com/grshse.html
way more offensive than baggy pants on a toddler boy. YMMV though.

take care
If you look really closely, you can see the "skater dudes" lurking in the shadows waiting to steal his lunch money!

(Hi, I don't usually post here but I saw this thread and couldn't resist!)
#74 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 07:31 AM

JenJMP I can't imagine taking my ds out looking like that either.

This is more what I like http://www.shop.store.yahoo.com/goog...ystshirt1.html
http://store.yahoo.com/hey-baby/120.html
#75 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom
Hmmm... I personally find clothes like this
http://www.strasburgchildren.com/grshse.html
way more offensive than baggy pants on a toddler boy. YMMV though.

take care
OK, now THAT's funny. Poor kid. That is offensive.

I don't like "hoochie" clothes on anyone, so I definitely don't like them on kids. However, everyone has a different definition of hooch, from what I can tell. I much prefer tailored, simple clothes without a lot of frills and without characters, cartoons, etc. for me and my kid - soon to be kids.

I'm not into bikinis on most people, because you've got to have a very specific body type to make them look good (IMHO), so I just think they're a lousy swimwear choice to begin with. Even in my prime when I was in great shape, I still wore one pieces, for that reason (FWIW, I'm 32 now, and NOT in great shape ). And for me, the kind of body that looks good and justifies wearing a bikini is one that has boobs, a slim waist, and hips, which toddlers do not - so it just doesn't make sense to me to put a toddler in one. I can see a tankini for ease of changing diapers, but a 'womanly' bikini just looks silly on a toddler, IMHO.

I agree with many PP that it's not necessarily the exposure of skin that bothers me, it's the presentation of the clothing...I have no problem with a little girl in a cotton spaghetti strap short sundress, but a little girl in a pleather micro miniskirt and sequined tube top, yeah, that would bug me. But, it would bug me on an adult, too, so there you go.

Just another $0.02 from another mom...

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#76 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 08:59 AM

:
#77 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleOven
Personally, I don't like "urban" clothing. It's not my taste, and I wouldn't put my kids in it. But I don't think that makes me prejudiced - it's simply my own sense of style, and my perception of what looks good and what doesn't. I also don't like sailor suits, double-breasted blazers or dressing siblings in exactly the same outfit, and I positively loathe Gymboree! Aren't we entitled to our own likes and dislikes without being accused of prejudice?
Of course! I was merely throwing it out there as something everyone should consider - WHY don't we like certains styles on our kids? Why do we have that perception that it "doesn't look good?" IS it because it reminds us of certain ethnicities or socio-economic backgrounds? What is style, anyway? I think it is something everyone should think about, including myself.
#78 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen
Let's face it, sexy clothes are designed to stimulate sexy thoughts. I wouldn't want to help anyone have thoughts like that about my kid.
HYPOCHRITE ALERT!!! :
Hello, my name is Susan, and I'm a hypochrite.
Hi, Susan!

Is it possible to be sexist in my thoughts about toddlers? Apparently so, because as I sat there imagining cute little girls in "hootchie" clothes, I really did think it could invite dangerous thoughts from perverted strangers. Then I had a sudden flash of memory of my kid (my SON) last summer . . . in his SPEEDO! Oh. My. God! Was he ever cute!! I mean seriously, the cutest damn thing you've ever seen with his lean little golden bronze self squeezed into that teeny tiny little purple bikini bottom (with little froggies all over it!). I guess since he was just so adorable to me, I forgot to worry about how he might be seen by others.
#79 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysmama
This is my 1 year old...in his "inappropriate" skater clothes.
http://www.ssb4.net/users/18794/levi...1139796312.jpg
http://www.ssb4.net/users/18794/img_0638.jpg
http://www.ssb4.net/users/18794/img_0974.jpg

And yeah, those are his black high top Chuck Taylor shoes. LOL! He loves them with all of his little heart.

and you know who to call when he outgrows all his 'innapropriate' clothes! lol I am there
#80 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 02:15 PM

I agree with you mommas i just hate it. Hubby and i were talking about the the other day. We cant even find shoes for the kids with out some writting like G-Unit or something stupid. Even the walmart shoes have shaq or some crap on it. Cause i dont want my kids growing up thinging that hiphop is in and its cool to be wearing the latest fashions. I dont think a 2 year old needs to be wearing a bathing suit with the naval out thats just wrong and the parents need to have some common sense.
#81 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadijah
I dont think a 2 year old needs to be wearing a bathing suit with the naval out thats just wrong and the parents need to have some common sense.
whats wrong with belly buttons now?

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#82 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I dont think a 2 year old needs to be wearing a bathing suit with the naval out thats just wrong and the parents need to have some common sense.
Why is it wrong? What is wrong with a 2 year old's navel that it should be hidden from public view?
#83 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Cause i dont want my kids growing up thinging that hiphop is in

NOW we get to the crux of the argument... 5 pages in. there's a huge racial/cultural undercurrent to this thread.

the very idea of "tailored" "respectable" "professional" etc. clothing is a racial, class-based signifier. That's obvious. Our society uses clothing to *mark* your class/race/personality/etc.

There's nothing objectively wrong with baggy jeans and big shorts.
#84 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
OPh I wanted to comment on age. Most of the kids i see dressed in really secualized adult clothing is older moms and/or middle upper class and up. .
I agree, all the little girls I know who wear clothing with words written across the bum or tight jeans or teenager-style have mothers in their late 30s/early 40s.
I'm 23 and my dd has never and will never wear anything that I consider imitative of sexually appealing clothing for teenagers. That said, I don't mind the fancy jeans with the butterflies on them or the little t-shirts with sparkles- to me, extremely girly is fine if that's what she likes when the time comes, as long as it's not revealing or overly mature-looking, yk?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#85 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
NOW we get to the crux of the argument... 5 pages in. there's a huge racial/cultural undercurrent to this thread.
There's nothing objectively wrong with baggy jeans and big shorts.
ITA and this was the point I was trying to make. Thank you for stating it that way.
#86 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 08:51 PM

at the idea of not wanting her kids growing up thinking hip hop is "in"

When they grow up hip hop will be so retro it will be embarrassing, like 80's big hair or padded shoulders are now.

On another note: good point Altair

nothing more to say I guess :
#87 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What bothers me about sexualized clothing on children is not the skin or the image or whether it might be attractive to a pedophile, but how it is perceived by the kids themselves. Do they feel pressure to "fit" an image? Children aren't stupid--they notice that adult women fill out the same styles in certain ways and that they attract sexual attention by doing so. On some level they are getting the message that THAT is what their bodies are for.

I was in JFK a couple years ago on a layover and happened to notice a 7 year old fixing her hair in a bathroom mirror. She was wearing a plunging neckline top, a miniskirt, and heels. Her hair was sleek and sophisticated. She was so concerned about how she looked. She spent more time fussing in the mirror than I ever do. And I just kept thinking, "poor kid". How much time, attention, and anxiety can a seven year old spend on appearance and have a healthy sense of self?
#88 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 PM

ITA UUElisabeth. -- THat's the point I was trying to make about early sexualization - not that others see kids as sexual, but that they base their own self-evaluations on image and physical appearance.

I guess I'm speaking mostly about kids who are old enough to actually be aware of their clothes. But I see the end result of this focus on consumerism and sexual explotation of younger and younger girls at the high school level - early sexual activity, low self-esteem, etc. etc.
#89 of 117 Old 02-16-2006, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen
Unless . . . does anyone really know anything about how the typical pedophile operates? My entire base of knowledge on the topic comes from Law and Order: SVU. Maybe pedophiles are so into little kids they get off more on little kids looking really little kiddish. If so, maybe dressing our kids like little grown ups is their best protection????

Oh, I'm just locking my kid in his playroom until he's 40.

ok well i am answering this, someone else might have as well but since i do have the answer to this i just quoted without reading further, although i wil read further.

i saw one of those dateline specials or whatever and they interviewed pedophiles to find what they look for ina atarget. one of the things is children dressed in sexy clothes, they actually go more for that, so in a way you are advertising to the pedophiles by dressing your children in a "sexy" manner. (stating here that pedophiles are the ones to blame here)now i think there is nothing wrong with the human body i don't want to make my dd's ashamed of their bodies in any way. my dd had skirts that end above the knee, maybe some skirts that could be considered "mini" but not really they don't show anything and come below midthigh. (to me this is mini and the ones that end anywhere above thigh are just insane on a woman any age). so before i get falmed for that i wanted to explain. but the thing is the pedophiles are out there and we as parents have a right to protect our children. well it isn't right that females should have to adjust their dress so they won't be a target of some crime that is just the way things are. is it our fault? no! but precaution should be taken even if it is unfair, and not right. i would be happy if woman could walk around topless i have advocated this since i was a child, before i ever understood anything about sexuality. guys could do it and i wanted to as well b/c it's comfertable. as a grown woman i understand why i shuldn't do that. because it's dangerous, even though it would only be fair for me to do that. I mean after all they are just lumps of fat that produce milk. that's it. but that's a little off the subject.

i disagree with shirts on toddlers that end just past their chest, but am ok with belly buttons and ok with naked topped little girls. to me cutting off the shirt up there or drawing attention by making cups or such is turning it sexual in a way, but having no shirt at all is not sexualizing, so it's not the ody that i think should be hidden, but just some of the clothes that attempt to accentuate features that little children do not have. it's innessacary. ok now that i have written a novel on the subject i am off to finish reading the thread where i left off at the question in the quote.

Courtney

also i don't have a problem with kids dressing like grown ups just a problem with kids dressed sexually. when i go to the movies and see 14 year olds in skirts that will show their underwear when they move i think it is wrong. however we are talking about toddlers and smae goes. i dress my dd's like i dress me (well josephine is to little to wear jeans yet they just look so huge on a baby so small) but i have a slightly skater-esqu/hippy style. jeans, t-shirts', hippy shirts, long sleev with a t-shirt over it, and she LOVES LOVES her chuck taylor sneakers, plus they are super cute and super flexiable, and super comfertable i have some myslef. also this is the kind of clothes i have always worn. now my twin wears preppy/proffesional clothes i imagine her kids will wear the same type of stuff, again ok. my friends kid wears what you all describe as "thuggish, hood type clothes" and he looks cute, although i wonder how well he can get around in the shorts that the crotch goes to his knees. which is why o don;t dress dd in long to the floor skirts like i wear it would interfer with her play. my one and onmly qualm is sexualized clothes ok my other one is stuff kids can't play in, move in, or God forbid get dirty. who the hell made dry clean only kids clothes that's what i want to know, and hand wash only?? like a mom has rime for that. c'mon.

yes i have my own opinions and i am fine with that, i respect everyone else's and am willing to listen to discussions and ideas that differ from my own. he he sorry i have never done a disclaimer before it was kind of fun.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#90 of 117 Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat
whats wrong with belly buttons now?

My babies belly buttons are my favorite part of their bodies. It was where they were connected to me.

Everytime I blow on them, kiss them, or tickle their cute little tummies, I have this huge rush of love and bliss.

My nine year old has a "surfer" look, down to the sun-bleached longish wavy hair that is never neat. My seven year old baby girl dresses from punk to prude and back again, but no high heals, she wears the maryjanes from Landsend in every color. I will not buy her 'hoochie" clothes, but if she earns the money, then she can spend it how she likes. My darling baby boy, only 16 months, wears t-shirts and jeans, just like dada.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page