Electric toddler toothbrushes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone use an electric toothbrush with their toddler? Does it make the process more fun? Any brands that you'd recommend?

We've not been very consistent with DD's teethbrushing up until this point, and I'd like to rectify that and get into a routine. She wants to do it herself, not have us brush for her, but she doesn't do a very good job, or for very long.

Suggestions very welcome and appreciated!!

Kristen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-13-2006, 11:46 AM

DH or I have this http://www.oralb.com/SonicComplete/ and I can honestly say my teeth have never felt cleaner or been so white . The best part is the heads pop off so I just put one on for my DS and it works awesome. Its quick and his teeth look amazing. Plus he doesn't mind since after we finish we let him use his own manual brush.
#3 of 9 Old 02-14-2006, 02:49 PM

We use a manual toothbrush with Ethan, but I brush with him and that helps. So we'll go into the bathroom first thing in the morning (I'm pg, so I always have to pee ), and then I give him his toothbrush with toothpaste (he likes Toms of Maine Kids Grape flavor) and I brush my teeth. Then when I'm done, I take his brush and brush his teeth for him. Then we wash hands and go downstairs to start our morning.

At nighttime, after jammies but before story, prayers & song, we do the same thing. I find I exaggerate my toothbrushing because he is learning by watching me, and loves to imitate.

In the beginning, he didn't open his mouth much for me to brush and fought it a little bit but I would do what I could and not worry about it. Now he's a pro And as a plus my hygenist was blown away by how much better my teeth & gums are
#4 of 9 Old 02-15-2006, 06:44 PM

If your dc doesn't like toothbrushing, getting an electric brush is certainly worth a try. It made a big difference for my toothbrushing hating dd, plus I felt I was able to get in and out a lot quicker while still doing a good job.

Ds had the opposite reaction - his electric toothbrush scares him. Otherwise, he has no problem getting his teeth brushed.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#5 of 9 Old 02-15-2006, 07:17 PM

We got an electric toothbrush for our 3 yo dd specifically to make it more fun for her to use. It worked for a while, she enjoyed it at first but then the novelty wore off and we were back to toothbrushing difficulties again. Then she would alternate back and forth between one or two manual toddler brushes with fun colors, fun flavors of toothpaste, etc. and the electric brush still appeals occasionally. So, for her it's all about variety. We never know what toothbrushing adventure we are in for night after night.
#6 of 9 Old 02-15-2006, 08:11 PM

Yep, we use a Veggie Tales kids electric toothbrush from Wal-Mart. Ben likes it.

Christian, wife, and homeschooling mama to 3 wild boys! New baby due 8/2/10!
#7 of 9 Old 02-15-2006, 08:19 PM

I started using an electric toothbrush with DS around Christmas time (gift from my Mom ), and it's made a huge difference in his willingness to get his teeth brushed.

He went through a phase when his front teeth were about 3/4 of the way through (so did DD actually) where his gums were really sensitive and he would SCREAM bloody murder when I tried to brush them.
He would actually bleed a bit if I brushed them, even gently.
So I just kind of did the best I could, and didn't force it too much, and you know what?
He has lines of decay where his gum line used to be
His front four teeth
I feel like such a terrible Mother; but I think as long as we're consistant with the brushing now it shouldn't get any worse.

Uh, yeah....all that to say yes, electric toothbrushes can be great for toddlers! :
#8 of 9 Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 PM

Both my dd 5yo and my ds 15mo absolutly love them i let ds just play with it for a bit and he loves how it feels on his gums.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 AM

My little one is 6 years old and I bought him Philips Sonicare HX6311/07 for kids. I searched for most options and available models for less than $50 and although my husband and I use Oral B toothbrushes, we went for Sonicare this time because their models are better for toddlers.

It was one of the best investments I've made for my son because he actually likes brushing now and finds it interesting. Thank god for technology.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page