Memorizing books (older toddlers)/kids' favorite books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-11-2003, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd (3 in April) has memorized her favorite book (in French). I think this is extra-special because it's not one of the many books we have read a million times (she only recently received it) and because she's not sing-songing it like a drill or something. The book is "Little Blue and Little Yellow" by Leo Leonni (yeah, I love him!). She has had so much fun with this book! When we play with dough or colored paper, she always makes a Little Blue, a Little Yellow, etc. Sometimes she talks to people about the book. I love Leonni because he entices the artist in all kids.

What about your children? Do they memorize books. What are their favorites?
#2 of 12 Old 02-11-2003, 08:40 PM

I haven't tested whether she has memorized an entire book yet, but we just started reading books together -- I do a sentence, then she does, then I do, etc. Rhymes work well. She especially likes Dr. Seuss for that. (Me: "hop hop hop..." dd: "I am a Yop!!")
#3 of 12 Old 02-11-2003, 10:50 PM

Wow, that is so neat! My daughter (almost 2) knows most of the words to Goodnight Moon. Her favorite books are the Maisy books by Lucy Cousins, and she knows about half the sentences of those books.
#4 of 12 Old 02-12-2003, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

Don't get me wrong. I'm not "testing" my dd. She's reciting this book on her own - that's why I think it's neat - that she would like a book so much that she memorizes it.
#5 of 12 Old 02-12-2003, 01:53 AM

My almost 2.5 year old has memorized dozens of books (English is our only language) and sits for hours, literally, with his books, flipping the pages and "reading" the stories. It's very cool. But, I also think it's rather unusual. He has this amazing love for books, and reading is our main activity from 5-7:30 pm. After that time, he's on is own to read because I'm tired from working all day and reading to him for hours when I get home. His favorites are actually the Little Golden Books, all of them! Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel is also a big one right now, and lotsa poetry books by Jack Prelutsky and Shel Silverstein, because he loved the silliness and the ryhming language. He's just a total book worm. And he makes up his own stories (tonight it was about "an egg that wouldn't hatch). It's so much fun, isn't it?
#6 of 12 Old 02-12-2003, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

That's funny Teachma - I was thinking yesterday about those Golden books. I should have ordered some. Iris is a huge reader too. We've been reading together since she was born. I'm a little burnt out on it now, though!

Once I heard her in her room, just before bedtime, "reading" her books out loud to herself. I heard this "Uh oh! The jeep won't go!". That was great because for a long time she was really rejecting the English language. In the morning, I praised her for reading her books to herself, but she replied in French, "I can't do it." So I tried to reassure her. I don't like it when she says she can't do something! It drives me batty!
#7 of 12 Old 02-12-2003, 02:11 AM

Oh, wasn't implying that you were testing her, Parismaman, sorry. I just meant that dd hasn't recited whole books yet, though I wouldn't put it past her. She usually needs a prompt before she is off and running.
#8 of 12 Old 02-12-2003, 04:29 AM

Dd often quotes lines from some of her books to herself while she's playing. I find it so amusing because I know what she's saying, but anyone else listening wouldn't have a clue. I don't know that's she's memorized a whole book yet either.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#9 of 12 Old 02-12-2003, 06:30 PM

DS knows the Brown Bear book by Eric Carle. Not all the words, but he often knows which one is coming next -- it's a start and I'm proud. I am in grad school for elementary education, and learned that memorizing books and/or pretending to read is one of the first steps in learning to read. It's called the "Magical Stage" of Preindependent reading. It's a big deal Mommies.
#10 of 12 Old 02-12-2003, 09:23 PM

this is so neat! My little girl doesn't speak in complete sentances yet but she LOVES LOVES LOVES to read books. She has been like this since birth. One day I was reading along and stopped for some reason and she blurted out the next word! I was shocked so I did sort of 'test' her to see if she knew any more and she literally knows all of her books! Her favorites right now, are Hop on Pop (which she can recite alone..), Max the Minnow, Wacky Wednesday, Wocket in my Pocket, The Ear Book, Hand, Hand, Finger Thumb as well as a book of nursery rhymes. She said 'i'm little teapot' out of the blue the other day and yesterday starting singing 'twinkle, twinkle' while looking at the appropriate page in her book. It all quite shocks me. :-) I hope they all continue to love books!

Jen
Korina 10.04.01
#11 of 12 Old 02-12-2003, 09:51 PM

Isn't that cool, Leddie? I didn't think of nursery rhymes -- dd's first was "Diddle diddle dumpling my son John", which was rather startling. But she also recites/ sings "Twinkle twinkle little star", "baa baa black sheep", etc. And most of "Don Gato." ("on a hiiiiiiiiiigh wed woooooof don gato sat!")

she reads an infinite number of books -- we have several hundred (!), go to the library often, and read probably 25/day -- and she really likes variety, so I notice that the memorization thing tends to happen most with a new book that she wants to read over and over.
#12 of 12 Old 02-13-2003, 06:30 PM

Taylor, 3 in April, recently revealed that he has actually memorized quite a few?!?! I was reading Green Eggs and Ham one night and skipping lines to make it shorter. He corrected me, the whole time, so I eventually asked him to read to me. He DID?! My husband was curious so he asked what others he knows. He can recite most of the Dr Seuss Baby Board books we have [5 or 6] and quite a few of the Grolier Disney books. The only other long ones besides Green Eggs N Ham that he knows front to back though are There's a Wocket in My Pocket and Cat in the Hat. We were/are truely amazed and still wondering what more he knows that we dont realize!!

PS. Much of our amazement is caused by the fact that he is SO active we didnt think he ever paid attention to us when we are reading allowed. We actually thought maybe he was a bit behind on the reading, alphabet, etc stuff. Now we are guessing that isnt true.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page