2 years, 7 months toddler giving up nap -- how establish quiet time routine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-14-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I think my toddler is going full swing into giving up his nap, after months of on again/off again napping and on again/off again effective coping skills on my part.

But this time, I think its for real ... he hasn't napped for over a week and seems to want to be quiet for just a short while as we read books, but then is up and active again. It seems to correspond in part to our having stopped our one remaining nursing session about a month ago.

SO ... I want to go with that impulse of his and at the same time, I really do believe that a quiet/down time during the day is important for him and for me (especially with a new baby on the way in a month).

How have you all established, in as GD a way as possible, a quiet time routine that feels right to both you and your toddler?

Becca
#2 of 4 Old 03-14-2006, 04:42 PM

My dd was a bit older when she gave up her nap, but what I do for quiet time is make sure she has plenty of books to look at. She'll spend alot of time looking at books, and she has a few toys (quiet ones, like stuffed animals) that she'll play with, too.

A friend of mine has a cd player in her dd's room. She has played the same cd for her at sleeptime since she was a baby. So she tells her she needs to stay quiet until the cd is over.

HTH, the timing surely isn't ideal for your child to be giving up the nap with the new baby coming!
#3 of 4 Old 03-14-2006, 09:22 PM

I'm looking for help/ideas on this one too . . .

My dd doesn't always nap and when it's clear she's not going to sleep, I tell her we can go downstairs and have quiet time (while her twin brother sleeps).

She usually plays pretty well for awhile (since she's not being actively annoyed by her brother), and I will suggest things, like puzzles, or would she like to make a snack for bear (in the play kitchen), take doll for a walk (in a push toy we have), etc.

I'm not "allowed" to read (she sees that as an invitation to read to her), but I do try and knit or do something with my hands. I will engage with her when she seems to need it, but then remind her that I need quiet time too and would she like to try (whatever other thing I can think of).

It goes okay, but I am DREADING her brother giving up his nap, b/c he definately will not "get" the idea of quiet time.
#4 of 4 Old 03-15-2006, 01:29 PM

I'm working on this issue too - not very successfully sometimes, I'm afraid. I do set the time for 30 min and say it's "quiet time" until DD hears the beep. She will repeat this to me and all that but never stays in the bedroom the entire time. Yesterday she came out immediately after I left. Some days she'll stay in for 15 min. Usually she is happy to look at books with her dollies but then I think she gets bored and comes out. But it is driving me crazy some days as I need a break too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page