'Fess up - what children's books make you groan? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 AM
 
joandsarah77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The worst books that i can think of that we own at the moment (going to goodwill!) are 'There is Hipopotamus on our roof' and another book in the same series. Totaly weirds me out. The kid has an imaganary hippo friend that lives on the roof. Also hate the way the parents talk to her. I'de do a quote from the books but think it went out in the last boxfull.

'Jenny's Baby Brother' agg! I bought that second thinking it was a nice story about how a sister and new brother become friends. Well they do but....
quote 'she passed Pete in the hall. He put out a cubby foot and tripped her up.' " Well done Pete!" she said dabbing at a bleeding lip'
After that they are suposed to be friends?

I also hate the Clifford books. We only had one and it's now gone. Weird thing is dh got a clifforf movie from the video shop which dd is watiching right now lol and I quite like it!


Quote:
But the ones I find really troubling are the children's books with spelling and grammar errors!! My mom gave my dd a version of "Peter Rabbit", which used the word "presently" at least 7 times in the short story. But even better was the sentence that included "presently" and currently". How dare they publish a book that has not been properly edited!??
Ok well we (Australians) spell 'presently' and 'currently' exactly like that. Just check if it was printed in/ or written by someone Australian or English before thinking it's a spelling error. Petter rabbit was writen by betrix Potter who was English. We also say colour instead of color, so don't asume everyone spells the same as you yanks I know my spelling isn't great either, but it may not be as bad as you think
joandsarah77 is offline  
#122 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 AM
 
maizy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is obsessed with Dora books, it is all he wants to read while we have a ton of great things to read and he wants to read Dora, 'swiper no swiping", I have to say it with him.... ugggg....... Even worse my mother in law keeps buying more, we've got five or so Dora books.
Upside is as least he is learning some Spanish words
Also don't care for Carl the dog or Rainbow Fish...
Gotta stick up for Goodnight Moon though and the Big Red Barn
maizy is offline  
#123 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 AM
 
mamaGjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ..on a busy street
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
books that I dislike:
the Giving tre
anything that is a spin off of TV or movies.
why don't you like the giving tree? i find it depressing but kind of realistic!
mamaGjr is offline  
#124 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 AM
 
mamaGjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ..on a busy street
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne
I love you forever creeps me out b/c dh's mom IS REALLY LIKE THAT

It's UBER CREEPY

I like goodnight moon :

I

I kept reading all the posts on "I love you forever" and I was confused I guess I have not read that one ....
I thought ya'll were talking about
"guess how much I love you"

I have seen some negative posts on that one too. I don't mind it . anyway I am off to check out what this "i love you forever " book is all about
mamaGjr is offline  
#125 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 02:18 AM
 
mollyeilis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: washington
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Ok well we (Australians) spell 'presently' and 'currently' exactly like that. Just check if it was printed in/ or written by someone Australian or English before thinking it's a spelling error. Petter rabbit was writen by betrix Potter who was English.
According to my crazy-smart brother who paid FAR too much attention in English classes, as far as I can remember, the problem with those is that they aren't grammatically correct. That those words aren't really supposed to exist. Said brother cringes when someone says "luckily" and so forth, because it's not really a word.

So I think that's what the PP is getting at...they aren't supposed to be used.

I had different English teachers than my brother did and was never taught that, so I feel differently (ha) about those words than my brother or the previous poster...but I do think that's what she was getting at.

And if I'm wrong, I will presently apologize LOL.
mollyeilis is offline  
#126 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 02:25 AM
 
Charles Baudelaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
According to my crazy-smart brother who paid FAR too much attention in English classes, as far as I can remember, the problem with those is that they aren't grammatically correct. That those words aren't really supposed to exist. Said brother cringes when someone says "luckily" and so forth, because it's not really a word.

So I think that's what the PP is getting at...they aren't supposed to be used.

I had different English teachers than my brother did and was never taught that, so I feel differently (ha) about those words than my brother or the previous poster...but I do think that's what she was getting at.

And if I'm wrong, I will presently apologize LOL.
I have to say that even after having taught English for ten years, even after having gotten an M.A. in the subject from a selective private university, and even after being one of those picky people to whom Eats Shoots and Leaves was basically a waste of time because, well, nothing in it was new to me, I never heard of there being a problem with luckily. Hopefully, yes. People misuse that one regularly in sentences like, "Hopefully, my car will be out of the shop by Tuesday." Unless you mean that your car will be "full of hope" AND in good repair too, you should probably use another word or phrase such as, "With luck," or "If all goes well." Would you mind explaining what the problem is with luckily?

Now back to our regularly scheduled bickering.
Charles Baudelaire is offline  
#127 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 02:30 AM
 
Thursday Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fl
Posts: 5,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i looked at this book in the library i think it's called elouise, it's the christmas book. I made the mistake of just readin it to DD b/c i have heard so much about it. The child lives in a hotel with her nanny and her mom is calling from another country on christmas eve. i couldn't beleive it. dd was all confused so i had to try and explain what a nanny was and why the girls mother wasn't around.

i hate the disney books, new pooh, arrgghh someone gave dd a barbie book, one that was made into a movie what trashy drivel!!! poorly written books. I think kids books should be well written and have nice illustrations.

I do like go dogs go it was one of my favorites as a kid and dd loves it. the hat part is cool. dd puts all sorts of things on her head and says "do you like my hat"

i hate all the religous books we have, my mom got her all these "what are angels like" what is god like "what is prayer" and i was just reading what is god like tonight thinking man this one has to go, i can't read this stuff to her i don't believe it "i am the creator, i am the ruler" cute pictures but i just don't feel right reading it to her, i need to unteach what i'm saying. oh and someone got her this four pack of angel books from the dollar store and they are so dumb. they say rainbows are from ana ngel painting the sky, snowflakes are cut out of soft tissue paper by angels..jesus is it any wonder kids have sych a hard time in school when early books are full of lies??

that said we have recently come across two good books
big sister now a story about me and our new baby. the mom breastfeeds in the book. i find it so realistic to our live with a new babe and a big sister. the illustration sare super cute. their house is messy, how great is that after all thes books with new moms and clean houses. the only thing is there is a box of sosies in one picture and there are bottles all over the house. but no bottle feeding.overall i love it. oh crib, and the new mother of an obviosuley brand new baby is skinny.(but maybe i am touchy about that right now)
the other which is an absolute favortie is Skippyjon jones, what an all around GREAT book!!!!

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

 

 

Thursday Girl is offline  
#128 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 02:36 AM
 
TortelliniMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Ok well we (Australians) spell 'presently' and 'currently' exactly like that. Just check if it was printed in/ or written by someone Australian or English before thinking it's a spelling error. Petter rabbit was writen by betrix Potter who was English. We also say colour instead of color, so don't asume everyone spells the same as you yanks I know my spelling isn't great either, but it may not be as bad as you think
I don't think it was a spelling issue. (Those are the spellings I've always seen in the U.S. as well.) I think the problems were using "presently" over and over again within a short amount of text and using "presently" and "currently" in the same sentence, even though they meant basically the same thing in the sentence (as if you were to write/say, "Immediately, he did it right away," or "She quickly asked the question speedily.").

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
TortelliniMama is offline  
#129 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 03:04 AM
 
cottonwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 7,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was really surprised by how much I hate the Richard Scarry books, because I loved them soooo much when I was a kid. They are so incredibly boring to read out loud. And ditto The Berenstain Bears, plus I hate how the dad is so weak and bumbling. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I do, however, love Goodnight Moon. One of my favorites to read to the kids going to bed at night.
cottonwood is offline  
#130 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 03:54 AM
 
icxcnika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+

Wasn't Beatrix Potter (author of Peter Rabbit) British? If so, it would make sense that "presently" and "currently" were used in the same sentence. In British English, "presently" means something more like "next" or "in a little while" rather than being a synonym for "currently". So if it was the original story (or a British re-write), that would make sense.

God bless,
icxcnika
icxcnika is offline  
#131 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 04:21 AM
 
ashleyhaugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 4,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Hey, get a load of this book -- it's one of those Little Golden Books.

Look inside here and here too.

Okay, now look at this very, very funny parody. Same illustrations -- creepy eyes and all -- and very different text.

Little Golden Book About Zogg

i have that book, and i love eloise wilkins illustrations...... one of my favorite books with her illustrations was "we like kindergarten" ..... her books go for a killing on ebay too

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
ashleyhaugh is offline  
#132 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 05:09 AM
 
mollyeilis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: washington
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I have to say that even after having taught English for ten years, even after having gotten an M.A. in the subject from a selective private university, and even after being one of those picky people to whom Eats Shoots and Leaves was basically a waste of time because, well, nothing in it was new to me, I never heard of there being a problem with luckily. Hopefully, yes. People misuse that one regularly in sentences like, "Hopefully, my car will be out of the shop by Tuesday." Unless you mean that your car will be "full of hope" AND in good repair too, you should probably use another word or phrase such as, "With luck," or "If all goes well." Would you mind explaining what the problem is with luckily?

Now back to our regularly scheduled bickering.
I dunno. Twas from my bro back when he was taking all the AP classes he could get his mitts on and lecturing to his silly older sister already attending university.

Also I might have remembered wrong. wrongly? not remembered correctly? After all, that was when we were in school, and we are currently LOL 34 and 36.

Adverbs schmadverbs, I hate 'em!
mollyeilis is offline  
#133 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 01:24 PM
 
Mummoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thomas the Tank Engine bothered me until I realized that DS thinks James, Percy & Edward are 'girl trains'... somehow that made it better.

Calliou went to the second hand store within a week. 'Little Sister' was like a training manual for abusing the new baby.

I like Goodnight Moon... every couple of pages I growl "Goodnight kids!" as if I'm growing increasingly frustrated with their still-awake status. They think it's hillarious.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Mummoth is offline  
#134 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 01:53 PM
 
Tanya828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The free Barney book from the hospital LOL.
Tanya828 is offline  
#135 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 02:56 PM
 
lilyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 18,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaGjr
why don't you like the giving tree? i find it depressing but kind of realistic!
its not so much that the boy is a user (taking from the tree without ever giving back or showing any true apperciation) but the tree (personofied as a woman) only finds value in being used by the boy/man. So many women are like that. Can never be happy unless some ungrateful jerk is using them to the point of abuse.

perhaps I am reading too much into it . . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

lilyka is offline  
#136 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 04:09 PM
 
ceilydhmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
its not so much that the boy is a user (taking from the tree without ever giving back or showing any true apperciation) but the tree (personofied as a woman) only finds value in being used by the boy/man. So many women are like that. Can never be happy unless some ungrateful jerk is using them to the point of abuse.

perhaps I am reading too much into it . . . .
lol... I do this all the time... DD actually got mad at me recently (we were reading Rupert the Bear and I was explaining that despite the lack of girls in the story - girls can have adventures too) and she said "Mother, some books are just silly fun - there is not always a DEEPER SOCIAL MEANING."

Seems she's picking up on the lingo, even if she disputes my analysis
ceilydhmama is offline  
#137 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 05:47 PM
 
mamaGjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ..on a busy street
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
but the tree (personofied as a woman) only finds value in being used by the boy/man.
Whoa! I can see why you don't like it then. that is deep !

I have never thought of the tree as a woman...I guess I wasn't paying attention

I hope I will be able to read this book again someday....
mamaGjr is offline  
#138 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 06:24 PM
 
mollyeilis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: washington
Posts: 2,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote from the book (I assume the beginning?) from Amazon.com...

'Once there was a tree...and she loved a little boy.'


Wow there are 442 reviews of it on Amazon....sure does make people talk!
mollyeilis is offline  
#139 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 08:58 PM
 
PancakeGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh
i have that book, and i love eloise wilkins illustrations...... one of my favorite books with her illustrations was "we like kindergarten" ..... her books go for a killing on ebay too
I love her illustrations, too. Some of those are still in print, in board books even.
PancakeGoddess is offline  
#140 of 169 Old 03-19-2006, 09:06 PM
 
mamaGjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ..on a busy street
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
Quote from the book (I assume the beginning?) from Amazon.com...

'Once there was a tree...and she loved a little boy.'


Wow there are 442 reviews of it on Amazon....sure does make people talk!

WOW! I just broke the book out and thumbed through it. She and her is littered throughout! I guess I have been subconsciously in denial!
mamaGjr is offline  
#141 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 02:29 AM
 
Charles Baudelaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilydhmama
lol... I do this all the time... DD actually got mad at me recently (we were reading Rupert the Bear and I was explaining that despite the lack of girls in the story - girls can have adventures too) and she said "Mother, some books are just silly fun - there is not always a DEEPER SOCIAL MEANING."

Seems she's picking up on the lingo, even if she disputes my analysis
Hey, we all know that Green Eggs and Ham is really a politically liberal polemic against racial and religious prejudice.


To wit:

The protagonist of the book, whom I will call Black Hat, is clearly prejudiced against the green eggs and ham. Quite obviously, the milieu in which the dish is presented is not his issue -- he "would not like them in a box" and "would not like them in the car...in a boat...on the train," and so on. Moreover, it is not the company with which he could theoretically eat the aforementioned dish: Black Hat repeatedly states he "would not eat them with a fox...with a mouse...with a goat," and so on.

In the penultimate scene of the book, we learn in fact that it is not a previous negative experience with the GE&H that causes Black Hat's antipathy: indeed, when he tries them, he eagerly admits "They are so good, so good, you see." Not only has he apparently never tried them before, but when he does, he finds them savory.

When we eliminate all of these commonsense reasons for disliking a food, the only thing we're really left with as a basis of Black Hat's unreasonable prejudice is a very simple one:

COLOR. That's right, COLOR.

It would be sufficient to communicate this point if the eggs alone were green, but as Sam-I-Am repeatedly points out, the eggs AND ham are both the "offensive" color. The reason for the ham is clear: it is an allusion to religious prejudice. The author has clearly chosen a form of symbolic inversion (by which something is represented by its opposite) to represent prejudice against the group whose most notable dietary laws prohibit the consumption of pork, green or otherwise: Muslims and Jews.

The messages of the book are clear. Judge not by the color of the eggs, but by the content of their flavor. They are so good, so good, you see!

AND

Don't be an anti-SAMite.
Charles Baudelaire is offline  
#142 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 02:34 AM
 
gilleoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just sick of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.......But that's because each of our three kids have latched onto it for some freaking reason...for months at a time, repeatedly Enough to drive one insane
gilleoin is offline  
#143 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 08:24 AM
 
Apryl Srissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Hey, we all know that Green Eggs and Ham is really a politically liberal polemic against racial and religious prejudice.


To wit:

The protagonist of the book, whom I will call Black Hat, is clearly prejudiced against the green eggs and ham. Quite obviously, the milieu in which the dish is presented is not his issue -- he "would not like them in a box" and "would not like them in the car...in a boat...on the train," and so on. Moreover, it is not the company with which he could theoretically eat the aforementioned dish: Black Hat repeatedly states he "would not eat them with a fox...with a mouse...with a goat," and so on.

In the penultimate scene of the book, we learn in fact that it is not a previous negative experience with the GE&H that causes Black Hat's antipathy: indeed, when he tries them, he eagerly admits "They are so good, so good, you see." Not only has he apparently never tried them before, but when he does, he finds them savory.

When we eliminate all of these commonsense reasons for disliking a food, the only thing we're really left with as a basis of Black Hat's unreasonable prejudice is a very simple one:

COLOR. That's right, COLOR.

It would be sufficient to communicate this point if the eggs alone were green, but as Sam-I-Am repeatedly points out, the eggs AND ham are both the "offensive" color. The reason for the ham is clear: it is an allusion to religious prejudice. The author has clearly chosen a form of symbolic inversion (by which something is represented by its opposite) to represent prejudice against the group whose most notable dietary laws prohibit the consumption of pork, green or otherwise: Muslims and Jews.

The messages of the book are clear. Judge not by the color of the eggs, but by the content of their flavor. They are so good, so good, you see!

AND

Don't be an anti-SAMite.
I saw the don't judge on color, but never saw that next step, thanks for pointing it out! Maybe the book has redeeming qualities, though I don't know if it makes up for being WAY to long and boring lol

Any good meanings to One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish? That was my favorite as a kid, but as a mom, is too long for me.
Apryl Srissa is offline  
#144 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
 
ceilydhmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Hey, we all know that Green Eggs and Ham is really a politically liberal polemic against racial and religious prejudice.

I'll mention this to Maia - lol :lo
ceilydhmama is offline  
#145 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 01:20 PM
 
mraven721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do a slient groan everytime DS pickes out a Thomas book, but the Mercer Mayer books really erk me for some reason. 'Sometimes, I remember, sometimes I just forget'. I could seriously go forever without reading it again, but DS just loves the pictures!
mraven721 is offline  
#146 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 03:41 PM
 
nonnymoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone's worried about the symbolism in The Giving Tree, go get yourself a copy of the original Little Blue Engine that Could. The train that breaks down is female, all the non-helping trains are male, and guess what the LBE is? It's a chick power story in disguise.
nonnymoose is offline  
#147 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 PM
 
CountryMom2e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Curious George. Someone gave us one, and I just don't like the story about how this monkey causes all sorts of trouble and then gets away with it.

I do love Jamberry though - DS loves it, can recite nearly all of it, and it's very cute. I also love Goodnight Moon, but I'm not a huge fan of Runaway Bunny, probably b/c it is long and doesn't rhyme.

DS loves books that rhyme :-)
CountryMom2e is offline  
#148 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 06:07 PM
 
kellybelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD loves Harold and the Purple Crayon, so I got her another Harold book: Harold's Trip to the Sky. Its terrible!
So, Harold draws a desert this time, and gets bored. "Then he remembered how the government has fun on the desert." So then he ends up in space and draws an alien and gets scared, etc. Groan.
kellybelly is offline  
#149 of 169 Old 03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
 
Bufomander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBMama
My MIL sent this in a big box of books for ds. I didn't skim it before jumping right in and reading it to him, and I started bawling during the last few pages. Too much for this mama...but of course he loves it. Mostly we just read the page about the 2yo tearing up the bathroom, because that's ds!

: OMG, I had to edit so I could quote this! I totally forgot about that and you're so right. :


Okay, nobody flame me for this, because there was a thread a while back about how this was everyone's favorite book, but I hate Go, Dog, Go! It reads like a box of rocks. Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. And the text is bizarre and not at all entertaining.
yep, a big thumbs down on go dog go. i don't like how snotty the poodle is, either. i mean, i know that's the whole point, but nonetheless, i don't like it...

and about i'll love you forever -- i agree about the weirdness of the mother climbing into the adult son's window, etc (a friend said if the genders were reversed -- father and dd -- the book would never fly) but i disagree that just because books deal with death/aging they aren't appropriate for children...
Bufomander is offline  
#150 of 169 Old 03-21-2006, 03:18 AM
 
Thursday Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fl
Posts: 5,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i like jamberry but it has one spot where the rhythm or the rhyme is messed up (it's been a couple of years since i read it) but if you just switch the lines on that page it sounds right.

i never thought about some of the stuff you all are mentioning. i guess i'm just not deep. but i want too tell dh NOT to get dd a copy of the giving tree. i was always a little weirded out by how the tree gives and gives and the boy just doesn't care. it always seemed wrong to me, although the everlasting love always got me.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

 

 

Thursday Girl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off