'Fess up - what children's books make you groan? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 169 Old 03-21-2006, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love Love You Forever. I have a tape of Munsch himself reading it to a group of kids - it is wonderful. The way he reads it is totally un-creepy - it's hilarious, then deeply touching. I think he's one of the greatest children's authors.

Personally, I can't stand Dr Seuss. I had nightmares about the Cat in the Hat as a kid, & still hate all his books. Unfortunately though my kids love them and keep getting them from the library.
#152 of 169 Old 03-21-2006, 04:20 AM

The Belly Button Book by Sandra Boynton - we hid it for a while!

I got rid of one that was about Noah and the Ark - read it once, didn't even finish it and that was the end of that. It was awful - scaring the reader into loving God, following God or else.

Jenn
#153 of 169 Old 03-21-2006, 10:08 AM

wanted to agree with the no tv-show/movie related books -- boo!
and -- the opposite of someone else's posts -- i like most dr seuss stuff alright -- though he's certainly not my favorite -- but i DO NOT LIKE Mr. Brown Can Moo -- most books i'll read to my daughter 20 times in a row if she wants me to -- that one is soley my dh's domain.
#154 of 169 Old 03-21-2006, 02:34 PM

i had no idea there were so many haters of Dr. Seuss and Berenstain Bears, or Curious George! LMAO. this is very amusing, this discussion! i do have kindred souls with the hate of the Love you Forever creepy book, so that's good. LOL. here's mine:

hates:
these educational books we got illustrated by mandy stanley (my words, my shapes, my numbers, my colors), while they are great for teaching her things and came with great free posters, i am SOOO freakin tired of them. they don't read, they're picture books! lol.

barney "ready set go" teaches how to do zippers and velcro and tie. i hate barney, so i hate this book.

Are you my mother? --she hated this one since birth, and i swear it fueled her separation anxiety anytime she saw the cover of the thing. lol.

Loves:
Dr. Seuss (when i haven't read it 3x already that day)--also we checked out a copy of the video cartoons -from like the 70's-it's got cat in the hat, green eggs, sneetches and i think one other one, the lorax maybe. she LOVES the green eggs and ham one. it's like 15 minutes long and i confess if i've read it already or have a headache, she gets that one, cause it's pretty much verbatim LOL

The Bear books, by Karma Wilson. Bear wants more, Bear Snores on, Bear stays up for christmas. LOVE LOVE LOVE these books. and the animals in the bear wants more book, on the cover they're doing the sign for "more"--got to love that. love the illustrations by Jane Chapman.

she loves the bear books, they're her favorites. she likes the shorter berenstain bear books, but will sit thru the most annoying strawberry shortcake valentine book that is paragraphs every page, i have no idea why. she doesn't like the cat in the hat much. she loves Good Dog, Carl, and so do I :-) my parents have a rottie and she loves him, he's a big teddybear.

of course, i hate ANY book if i've read it more than 3x in a day. lol.

jen
caitlyn 2/9/04
#155 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Oh, Goddess, where do I start?!

We have this book called "The Runaway Chick", where the chick gets warned to STAY IN THE YARD, or the bad fox will EAT YOU!!! So, the chick runs away, and then gets all scared but it turns out only to be the family dog coming to rescue it. Then he says "I will NEVER leave the farmyard again!" Pul-eeeze. Don't explore, or horrible things will happen to you! : DS likes it because of the "doggy". Hehe.

I am gonna be unpopular for saying this, but Dr. Seuss makes me want to :Puke I used to love his stuff (for SOME reason! ), but the made up words and rhymes are....*shudder* It bugs me to no end. :

Curious George is awesome (well, I love him anyway!), but have you SEEN some of the things he does?!?!? He gets into the ETHER, and *trips out*!!! WTF?!?!? DH and I were like
He breaks his LEG! He goes into the hospital for surgery because he swallowed a puzzle piece! It's messed up! But, DS loves monkeys and "Dorge!" in particular for some reason. Heh. But some of the stories are kinda scary.

"The Rainbow Fish" makes me : too...like, you have to give people stuff or they won't like you! Someone else already mentioned it but I had to as well.

"Five Little Monkeys"...jump on the bed, have fun, and get hurt. But hey, they all sleep in bed together, yay co-sleeping! (I like "Ten in the Bed" for this reason as well. But we're talking about books we DON'T like! )

The Gingerbread Man is kinda creepy. "Snap, snap, GULP!" :

Frog and Toad are DH's favorite stories of all time. But I think Toad is a jerk.

Some Sandra Boynton books make me want to find her and
Two that come to mind are "Birthday Monsters" and "Snuggle Puppy". Yarg.
But I like some of her other ones.

Okay, enough out of me! Fun thread!
#156 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
I had to go find it; the books that he loves drive me so crazy that DH is now the reader.

It's got a bit of a rhythm going, you know, "a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush, And a quiet old lady who was whispering 'hush'"...and it's fun to say, you're sort of going circular with your voice, it's fun.

Then "goodnight room, goodnight moon" and all of a sudden..."goodnight cow jumping over the moon"?

What the? Moon and moon rhyme, I'll give you that. But you're not *supposed* to use the same word...:

The book is tripping lightly over my tongue and then it just goes clunk. ugh.
It goes MUCH more smoothly if you take a good pause after the word "cow". So it goes "Goodnight cow...jumping over the moon". I have actually always LIKED that particular set of lines.

Books I hate:

YES the "Love you Forever" and it was given by the hospital as a "first book". W.T.F. They also gave a "Spot" book and it is horrid.

I detest with a passion any book based on a Disney movie. They are horribly written and unnecessarily wordy.

I also dislike books with too many characters and too much dialogue, like the newer Winnie the Pooh books.

They took some out of the Dr. Seuss books when they made them board books and this makes some of them more bearable because the originals are pretty long. But they ditched the "Vug Under the Rug" which was a favorite line of ours, and the kids seemed to find it therapeutic to talk about a 'scary' and make fun of it like that.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#157 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 05:16 PM

Little Critter- Mercer Mayer books. They truly make me nauseous, so of course dd wants to read them over and over. She gets an evil grin when she pulls out one of the books I hate. I hide them, throw them away, and they keep turning up. I think bad books sneak under the couch and reproduce.
#158 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Faery
Some Sandra Boynton books make me want to find her and
Two that come to mind are "Birthday Monsters" and "Snuggle Puppy". Yarg.
But I like some of her other ones.
I didn't care for Snuggle Puppy when I first saw it. I couldn't figure out how to read it, because I couldn't find the rhythm. Then we got Philadelphia Chickens, one of her CDs, and it has Snuggle Puppy as a song. Now that I know how to sing it, I love the book. And ds is so cute when he chimes in on the "oooo"s.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#159 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortelliniMama
I didn't care for Snuggle Puppy when I first saw it. I couldn't figure out how to read it, because I couldn't find the rhythm. Then we got Philadelphia Chickens, one of her CDs, and it has Snuggle Puppy as a song. Now that I know how to sing it, I love the book. And ds is so cute when he chimes in on the "oooo"s.
Ohmigosh! There's a CD?!?!?! Now *that* I could get into! *grin*
#160 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Ohmigosh! There's a CD?!?!?! Now *that* I could get into! *grin*
OT, but there are samples of the songs at Amazon. She also has Rhinoceros Tap and Dog Train. (No samples on the Dog Train page. I don't care for it as much as the previous two, either. Maybe I just haven't listened to it enough?)

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#161 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc

I maintain that I was warped forever by a collection of Hans Christian Anderson stories, unaltered and faithfully translated, that we had when I was a girl. SO sad and creepy, and every single inanimate object has feelings. To this day I cannot throw away the Christmas tree without feeling terrible.
I had a little set of those. Gotta love the little matchstick girl who is out selling matches on the cold winter street to survive, and she freezes/starves to death.
#162 of 169 Old 04-05-2006, 11:41 PM

The only one we have now that we really hate is Baby Mickey's Bedtime.
The whole little thing is about baby Mickey giving himself a bath, getting himself a bottle, tucking himself into bed, etc. There are no parents anywhere in it, he seems like he's been completely abandoned.
#163 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 11:31 AM

Nursery Rhymes are really important, IMO. Their origins are very interesting and those rhymes plus Grimm's fairy tales bring the children a lot of important archetypes in a very satisfying way. Children are *relieved* when the witch has to dance to death in red-hot shoes. There's a great book called Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme which goes into the origins of a lot of these.

I love Dr Seuss (and most of the classics dissed here- I mostly hate modern boring "educational" stories and there's so many *bad* books being published these days) and if you read his bio you might too! Very interesting. Don't try to play Scrabble after reading Dr Seuss to your kids all day- you will think you've got a seven-letter triple word score with "abimoxy" or adding "derbooz" as a suffix of "van!"
#164 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj
It goes MUCH more smoothly if you take a good pause after the word "cow". So it goes "Goodnight cow...jumping over the moon". I have actually always LIKED that particular set of lines.
I just realized that I put in that pause subconsciously. Those lines are my favorite part of Goodnight Moon (probably my favorite children's books for many reasons).

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#165 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 12:05 PM

Mr. Seahorse. We got it from the library and I was about to spontaneously combust if I had to read it again!
#166 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip
Ans I love "The Lorax" for grown ups, but not for little kids please.
OK, now I love The Lorax and DD1 loved it when she was younger. When she was 3 or so, everytime we saw a tree stump, she climb up on it and say "I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!"

I can't stand If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. It drives me CRAZY! It's OK to say no!

And The Rainbow Fish, ugh! We got that one from the library and read it once before returning it. I agree, how creepy.

I also hate, with a book burning passion, any of the Disney books. They're books that are based on movies, THAT WERE BASED ON BOOKS in the first place! How can you write a book like that? The Winnie the Pooh ones are definitely the worst. The originals are so charming, but Disney turns Christopher Robin into a snotty brat and poor, simple Pooh into a complete idiot.

And those dumb little board books with absolutely no content. Like, what's the point? To me, board books are just durable versions of stories we like, but now all these little books are out and there is absolutely nothing to them. I just don't get it.

And I guess I'm in the minority on this, but I hate the cleaned up versions of fables and fairy tales. I won't read them if the stories have been changed. If it's not age appropriate, then we'll skip it until she's older.

I also love The Giving Tree, and just about anything by Dr. Seuss. Goodnight Moon is one of my favorites. I mean, "goodnight nobody, goodnight mush" is genius!
#167 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 01:55 PM

i hate the usual suspects--clifford, curious george (weirdly colonialist for sure) & babar. we had a babar book in which celeste (babar's wife) has babies. first of all, babar can't deal with situation so he goes and sits on a mountaintop while his wife is in labor. he abandons her basically. and THEN celeste's doctor weighs her babies and says they aren't gaining enough weight and that celeste will need to start supplementing. i pre-read a bag of books my mom gave my dd and that one i just threw across the room in disgust.
#168 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 PM

You've probably never heard of it - I can't even find it anywhere on line to show you.

But this book is my lesson in always, always prereading books before I give them to DD. I picked this one up in a used bookstore, because it had a cute fuzzy cow face on the cover and when you push his nose, he moos. Perfect for not-yet-one, right?

Now that we've read it (a few hundred times), DH and I refer to it as The Communist Cow.

See, there's this baby calf, and one day he goes walking through the barnyard. He meets three different animals. In each case the animal makes it's correct sound (the duck goes "quack") and so the calf goes "quack back". He then gets scolded, "No, no, you must moo!".

The book ends like this "The cow, who'd grown wiser by now, did what all cows like to do. He said Moo!"

Poor little quadralingual calf is forced into conformity with community expectations of his species by constant peer pressure.

DH does do a really funny version with characters like Comrade Duck. LOL

KC
#169 of 169 Old 04-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Frog and Toad are DH's favorite stories of all time. But I think Toad is a jerk.
I love Toad. I love his exclamations. I love the way he's so insecure. It's a good thing, too, because my son adores those books. I have read them all, many times.

He'll ask for anything by Arnold Lobel, including that intensely stupid book about the Owl. (Or as my son says it, "owl-oh.") There's nothing wrong with the book, it's age-appropriate, I just don't like it.

Because he likes Frog and Toad, my son wants to read any book in that beginning reader series. The one about the puppy who eats pizza , the one about the anteater and Halloween : or any book whose cover art is on the back of one of the other books.

One thing that bugs me is when there is a book like Peter Rabbit, Winnie the Pooh or The Wind in the Willows, and some publisher puts out an abridged version with new illustrations. Hello! the point is that Beatrix Potter was a clever writer and a brilliant illustrator! Why the bleepin' bleep would I want to read my kid a book called Peter Rabbit with abridged text and some other bunnies in the pictures?

Don't even get me started about the fake Winnie-the-Pooh.

I've been pretty lucky, though. There aren't too many books that he loves that I can't stand. There was one week when we went to the library and randomly picked out five books about children who don't want to eat healthy food. I'm not sure how that happened.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page