'Fess up - what children's books make you groan? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me, it's the ever-popular Clifford series. I loved 'em as a child, but now as a mama they seem so trite, and the drawings are awful. (Yes, I read them upon request but not with the same relish as other books.

I don't like Thomas the train books either!
#2 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 PM

Oh my gosh...don't get me started!

Like you, the Clifford and Thomas books. Also, the Arthur books. My oldest son went on a huge Arthur binge and I was miserable. What else? Never liked Goodnight Moon.

Babe is calling - more soon.
#3 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 07:27 PM

Guess How Much I Love You - it's just a book about how the parent will always love more than the kid. The dad one-up's the baby right to the end. Sewwt book, and good words, just a crummy way to portray it.

and

I'll Love You Forever - really not a book for kids! It's about getting older and dying!
#4 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 07:38 PM

The Rainbow Fish -- If you don't give people what they want, then no one will like you. Or, it's important not to stand out or be special in any way if you want friends.

The Giving Tree -- Uh, could the boy possibly find any other way to meet his needs/wants without the tree repeatedly sacrificing herself? I was just talking about this book with someone who said that her mom always said it was a great example of how parents sacrifice for their kids. Uh, I suppose, in some cases that's true, but I don't think those are *healthy* parent-child relationships.

I totally agree with Guess How Much I Love You, too. Can you picture gift-giving at their house? Dad unwraps some child-made treasure that the baby bunny slaved over and says, "Wow, this is the greatest present ever. That is, it *would* have been, if I hadn't made you *this*!" and whips out an even cuter gift.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#5 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 07:42 PM

The Berenstein Bears. The Papa is always yelling and threatening, the Mama is passive agressive, and the cubs are brats

My ds LOVES them though. He has 15 of them and reads them to himself all day. Plus we need to read at least one at bed time.

#6 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 07:52 PM

I can't stand No David. The mom yells "No!" throughout the entire book until she hugs her son at the end. The illustrations are hideous. My 1st grade students love it, but I hate that it's even in our classroom library. Suffice it to say, my dd is not getting this book for our home bookshelves.
#7 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 08:01 PM

Goodnight Moon

I can't believe somebody got PAID to write that.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#8 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 08:03 PM

someone gave us this jonah and the whale book and my dd loves it cause it has a fish in it. I HATE it. It's one of those scare tactic type books. You better be good or else a big fish is going to come and eat you up! It has mysteriously disappeared several times but I keep finding it back in the book basket. Not sure how it gets back there, I think dd keeps finding it.
#9 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 08:08 PM

berenstein bears here too, very hostile and rude...not fun or pleasant or very creative.

'paperbag princess' and 'i will love you always' are both by munsch (sp?) i think...and i dont like either one of them, not very well written imo, kinda lame and choppy....and i know the story behind 'love you always' but i still dont like it.

i also dont like 'jack and the beanstalk'. just because he is a giant doesnt auomatically make him mean and worthy of being stollen from and killed.

any tale of female woes that are cured and become 'happily everafter' when some guy finally discovers and marries her.

i actually dont like dr suess very much either i can rhyme too if i just make up all the words : some of them are kinda fun, sneeches and zaks and green eggs, etc...but green eggs would of been better at half the pages....i am not morally opposed, lol, they just make me groan when she grabs one.

they cant all be 'moonkeys' 'elisabeti''s and 'elmer's now can they
#10 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 08:21 PM

i LOVE the david books. I find that they really can help Kindergarten classes start to talk about what is appropriate at school and whatnot, and the dicipline in the book seems like such a spoof anyway. i just find that the books bring out so much laughter and conversations that they are really worth it!

(i love David Goes to School)

I don't like ANY books tied to TV shows or movies. that cuts out about 90% of the books published right now.

I don't like books with gender of racial stereotypes. there are just too many to name.

i don't like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. no reason, it just annoys me to hear it all year. I don't like the jamberry one..

i'm just DYING to say which ones i love!
#11 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 PM

I dont like the "Dum Ditty" book by is it Berenstein or Dr Seuss?

Not a fan of the Carl the dog books either. WTH leaving your baby alone with a dog to babysit!

My son ADORES Thomas and we bought this big thick book and read a chapter a night.
I dont think these stories are so good. What can kids learn from train wrecks where no one suffers any consequences from their practical jokes? :
#12 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know it is also a nursery rhyme, but for Christmas DS got the book version of "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". DH and I think it's a bit morbid and it has been put away until I remember to get rid if it.

"I don't know why she swallowed the fly, perhaps she'll die."

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#13 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Amen on the Carl books. My mom gave me one--I guess she thought we'd like it because we're dog people. The mother leaves the baby alone in a crib, and then she LEAVES THE HOUSE with no one else but the dog home. WTF?

I generally dislike didactic books that are built around the message they want to send. Literature is art. That absolutely includes children's literature. Ah well, we've come a long way. Can you believe that Maurice Sendak was vilified when Where The Wild Things Are first came out? It portrays a boy who is angry with his parents and fantasizes about his anger. Very risque for the time!
#14 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 PM

Ours is Chicka Chicka boom boom I actually woke my self up reciting that this morning

Chicka chicka boom boom
will there be enough room
A told B and B told C
I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree.....

THe odd thing is this book was my ( now) 14yr old son's and I remember hiding it behind the TV set for a while

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#15 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuelisabeth
Can you believe that Maurice Sendak was vilified when Where The Wild Things Are first came out? It portrays a boy who is angry with his parents and fantasizes about his anger. Very risque for the time!
But he got an even bigger caning over 'Mickey in the Night Kitchen' because it showed *gasp* a naked child!
#16 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 10:00 PM

Goodnight Moon drives me mad b/c of that one bad/non rhyme in it.

Nursery rhymes are awful. Some friends bought some inexpensive (possible dollar store, not that there's anything wrong with it, but I don't think they even LOOKED at the stories before popping out their dollars) nursery rhyme books for the baby shower they gave me, and gack. that One and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie? Yuck!

There's more nasty rhymes in it, but the one that's even worse than the bird pie one is...the one about a fairly obvious (stereotypical visual cues in the picture) enslaved woman telling someone what her children are good at, and telling the person to take whichever child pleases them. :Puke

We have this goodnight book and I can't read it anymore (even though it's GORGEOUS) b/c it's just ridiculous. There is no "mama fish", mama fish swim away, they aren't there to say goodnight...and what's this "the whole wide world is going to sleep" business, am I going to have to UNteach the concept that it's dark at the same time once he starts learning about things like that?...and quite frankly the stars being "on the loose" scares me.
#17 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 10:03 PM

Definitely No David! When I opened this post this was the book that came to mind!
#18 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibdoml
I'll Love You Forever - really not a book for kids! It's about getting older and dying!
Absolutely - I had to get rid of that book.
#19 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 10:26 PM

UUuuuggghhh--anything disney princess, and Berenstein Bears.
I also can't stand Curious George.
#20 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 10:33 PM

I cannot stand Little Bear. The simplicity and repetition drive me nuts . I guess it is good for new readers , but I cannot stand it. Say "she said" just once instead of "Mother Bear said" for the twentieth time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuelisabeth
I generally dislike didactic books that are built around the message they want to send.
I totally agree!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#21 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug & BabyBug
I know it is also a nursery rhyme, but for Christmas DS got the book version of "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". DH and I think it's a bit morbid and it has been put away until I remember to get rid if it.

"I don't know why she swallowed the fly, perhaps she'll die."
I wanted to use that book when I was teaching, because the kids in my class loved repetition, and books like that let even the less verbal ones learn to fill in some of the words (they all had autism), but I couldn't stand the cheery "perhaps she'll die" aspect. So I made my own with clip art (I put the pictures at the end of each line, so it was also good for nonreaders), and changed the words to "...I don't know why she swallowed the fly. Oh me, oh my!" and then it ended with "I know an old lady who swallowed a horse. She got sick, of course." It was a lot less disturbing, and now ds loves it.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#22 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I REALLY dislike the books that are condensed versions of Disney movies. Unless you have seen the movie and know what is happening, the book generally is choppy, reads so fast paced (I am almost out of breath when I am done reading it!) and jumps around so it is hard to know what is happening. Ugh, I groan everytime my kids grab that Disney collection of stories.

I also don't like any book based on TV. One of our rules when we go to the bookstore is "No books about TV characters or movies!" and that rules out just about every inexpensive book in the place.

I get sick of reading some of the books they have, like some of the longer fairy tales that take 30 minutes to read, but I still like them and always read them at their request.

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#23 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 10:58 PM

Sandra Boynton's Hey, Wake Up!. Damn it, I don't want to wake up in the morning. (At least, not when my kids do). And when I do, I am not cheerful. I detest the overall cheeriness about getting up in that book.

Giving Tree. Ditto to what's been said. But even though I despise it, I don't have to read it over and over, unlike for example, Byron Barton's Machines at Work, which is a fine book (dig the women construction workers!) but after too many repetitions of it I am losing my mind.

And Arthur? Harumph! My ds picked one up at the library. We don't have tv, but I knew it was on PBS so I thought it would be harmless. Ha. Ds learned the fine phrase, "You stink" from that book, and I've never heard the end of it.
#24 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't like the choppy sentences and lack of pronouns in the Magic Treehouse books. I end up lengthening the sentences when I read them aloud. And I read a Junie B. Jones first grader book to my first grader who didn't understand why Junie B. spoke in grammatically incorrect ways as much as she did, so I had to change some of the things she said while I was reading.

These aren't toddler books, necessarily, but you've mentioned a lot of annoying ones already.

Yeah, I hate all those cartoon characters books, like the Disney ones, or any of them, really.
#25 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortelliniMama
The Rainbow Fish -- If you don't give people what they want, then no one will like you. Or, it's important not to stand out or be special in any way if you want friends.
And you have to physically mutilate yourself to fit in. I would have preferred if it had been a shiny rock collection rather than scales.

Another one DD1 once brought to me at a B&N is called Funny Bunny Honey Bunny (or some such), about a little girl who is essentially tortured by her brother. He finally listens to his parents and stops torturing her, but then ignores his sister. It ends with her condoning the torture as an expression of his love and things went back to "normal." Uck.
#26 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 11:11 PM

The Runaway Bunny:
"If you become the wind and blow me, I'll..."
Yeah. I skip the "blow me" part.
#27 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 11:19 PM

Dr. Seuss books are TOOOOO LOOOONNNNNGGGG.....

I am also appalled at the Serendipity books I thought were so great growing up.

And the Eric Carl Rooster book is sad when they all give up and go home.....
#28 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymoose
The Runaway Bunny:
"If you become the wind and blow me, I'll..."
Yeah. I skip the "blow me" part.
:

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#29 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 PM

Calliou does it for me. Everytime I see DS Calliou books, that annoying Calliou cartoon theme song goes through my head, with Calliou annoying voice singing it AAHHH, Shut it up make it stop LOL. Oh well I have made my own words to that song(ones ds will never here LOL). And what's up with his lack of hair, at 4 years old he SHOULD have hair LOL. He have secret lukemia no one knows about?
#30 of 169 Old 03-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Those "Spot" books. Man, are they ever dull as dirt. Also, they're another set with weird parenting practices from time to time.

Along the same lines, not a huge fan of the "Froggy" series or the Little Critter series.

I don't like Chicka Chicka 123. I'm not sure I even get the story, and I find the pictures boring.

Another secret non-fan of Goodnight Moon here, too.

I get sick of all the endless "mommy" books. Where is daddy? Can he love the baby more than anythingelseinthewholewideworld once in a while?

It always bums me out when I realize I've brought home a library book where some baby is toting around a bottle. (And I used bottles, because I ending up EPing...it just bugs.)

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page