Soft Soled Shoes for Outdoor Toddler Use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a shoe to withstand the rigors of a 40 lb. three-year-old on the playground, while still allowing her foot to develop on its own. Does this shoe exist?

I'm considering Pedoodles, but I've read mixed reviews. I like their rubber soles for older kids, but I've heard the shoes have a tendency to fall apart? Not so good.

Does anyone have a testimony of a shoe that's held up to outdoor use? Thanks!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#2 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 09:53 AM

Pedoodles slipper style ones have lasted wonderfully for our DD. I know the rubber ones do not seem to fare so well.

For the same money...I'd get See Kai Run. They are superior in every way to any others we have tried, including Preschoolians. They are softer, more flexible, nicer. I can't testify to outdoor use yet, but they are oh so nice. That said, my DS wears a 12.5(!) so he can't wear them, but DD will be getting some this spring.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#3 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 10:02 AM

We've been really happy with our Pedoodles, for whatever that's worth You can also try Preschoolians - they have rubber soles on the larger sizes and are great for playground use.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#4 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 03:13 PM

Honestly, once it's not muddy outside DS (4.5 years, 37 lbs) wears Robeez. He got to wear them twice this week and he was so happy to have his comfy shoes back. And he is very active!

#5 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 03:30 PM

My dd is only 18 mos, but she's pretty active. We've had success so far with a pair of Wiggees that has a rubber sole. She's had them since December, and they're holding up pretty well.
#6 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 04:02 PM

Great thread. I have had DD in Robeez and Hanna mocs all winter but didn't know they made soft soled sandals!

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#7 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 04:18 PM

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE See Kai Run shoes at our house. My DS will wear them until we outgrows their available sizes!
#8 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 04:34 PM

I would caution against Pedoodles-we are on pair #2 and I an confident that DDs toes are going to be popping though any day now. I know that this suggestion is very "against the grain" here on Mothering but I love the Nike Play line. They hold up well and have very flexable soles.
#9 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

TiredX2--Will all-leather soft soled shoes (like Robeez, Bobux, etc.) hold up on the playground? I'm just thinking of all the running and stomping and climbing and such. We've always used regular tennis shoes, but want to make the switch to soft soled to help her foot muscles develop correctly. But, I don't want her feet to hurt or be unprotected.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

~Serina~

#10 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone
TiredX2--Will all-leather soft soled shoes (like Robeez, Bobux, etc.) hold up on the playground? I'm just thinking of all the running and stomping and climbing and such. We've always used regular tennis shoes, but want to make the switch to soft soled to help her foot muscles develop correctly. But, I don't want her feet to hurt or be unprotected.
They've held up great so far. This year was the first year DS was willing to wear "real" shoes during the winter even. So, for his first 3.5 year he basically wore soft-soled shoes (Robeez or Hanna Anderson Mocs) all the time and they worked out fine.

#11 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 05:51 PM

My DD wears Wee Steps, which are nearly identical to Robeez, and she hasn't had any problem with wearing them outdoors, even on asphalt and concrete. The only problem is that little pebbles and gravel can be felt very easily through the soles. DD doesn't seem to care, other than being intrigued by the sensation, but a more sensitive child might like something a little more substantial.

The other beautiful thing about the Wee Steps is that they're machine washable, so when they get muddy I don't have to chisel the mud off-- I just rinse them and then toss them in the wash.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 06:36 PM

My dd got a pair of Robeez for her first birthday and they fell apart 3 weeks later. We never had that problem, but we had only used them inside before, so I think it was the outdoor use.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#13 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 07:46 PM

Those See Kai Run shoes are adorable, but I don't see any pricing information...?

Does anyone have recommendations for a similar shoe, but in size 10+?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#14 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, TiredX2. It helps to hear from you and other mamas who've used leather soles for active toddlers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Does anyone have recommendations for a similar shoe, but in size 10+?
Here, here. I'm still on the hunt for this--shoes for kids under five with bigger feet, preferably with rubber soles. Anyone?

Preschoolians look promising, with sizes up to five years, but at $43+ per pair, I may have to keep looking...

~Serina~

#15 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone
Preschoolians look promising, with sizes up to five years, but at $43+ per pair, I may have to keep looking...
I think they have some sort of thing where if you sign up for their newsletter you get 15% off your first order or something. Check it out.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#16 of 25 Old 03-18-2006, 11:37 PM

We have a pair of Preschoolians and Pedoodles for outdoors in wet weather, and I was planning to keep dd in soft-soles through the summer (she just turned 2). But like someone mentioned, the pebbles and stones, and twigs and such make me nervous. So I think the soft-soles are fine with me for out in the yard, but for playgrounds and ballgames (we go to cousins softball games a lot), I'd feel more comfortable with something a bit more solid.

We haven't had any problems with our pedoodles, but they haven't had a lot of wear yet. I really heart the preschoolians, but they are high. They do give 15% off first purchase and 10% after that. I didn't buy the next pair at the 3 month mark, and I called them last week and resent the discount code! Plus shipping is only $2 and return shipping is free. The have a ton of styles, too.

Kristen, happy wife to Jeremy; Mama to dd (2/04) and ds (8/07) and two miscarried babies (9/05 & 5/06). And beginning to believe a baby may really be coming this summer.
#17 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 AM

BeeSqueaky's are VERY soft and flexible rubber-soled shoes that are also terribly cute and have removalbe squeakers that squeak with every step (my DD loved it and I could always find her in a crowd, untill she pulled the squeakers out and chewed on them). Hers have held up to wear better than her much more expensive stride rites. They were under $30 at the boutique store we bought them at, and they are available on their website (I think it's www.beesqueaky.co.uk). The soles are very soft and collapse when squeezed.

I have to say, my DD would tear up a Robeez-type shoe on the concrete and pavement she encouners outside. I found stride rites sneakers at Marshalls for under $15 that are very flexible and she runs and plays like a champ in them at 18 months. She progressed from Robeez to a thinner, softer soled, pricey Stride rite and the bee squeaky's and now is mostly in the sneakers. I can't afford to pay $40 or even $30 for each pair of shoes when they'll only last one season. I want high quality, but I also want them to be durable and highly flexible and reasonably priced.
#18 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 02:21 AM

My 36 lb. 3 yr. old son's robeez are getting holes in the top of his toes- the soles have held up fine but he drags his feet. Since it's been warmish out, I've been letting him go barefoot everywhere, with flip-flops tucked in the diaper bag in case he need shoes somewhere. His little feet have had no problem with sticks, rocks, etc. and I don't see any need for shoes- barefoot is best, right? I keep a lookout for glass and such but even living downtown, I rarely see any and it's easily avoided. I wish there were softer-soled flip-flops available for when shoes are required, the ones we have are old navy and stiff. I know there are fairly thin leather flip-flops for grown-ups.
#19 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 02:49 AM

see kai run, I think that's what they are called might work. I was walking through Nordstrom (just walking, can't buy there!) and saw them and they look really nice

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#20 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 10:32 AM

What about Bare Feet Shoes? Here's a link to a site that sells them:

http://www.aldenandclaire.com/bearfeetP5.htm
Lots of styles to choose from, follow the numbers at the bottom.

We're planning on getting DD a pair of the woven sandals for spring/summer wear. A friend of ours has a pair and loves them - very well made, all rubber sole, soft, comfy, etc.
#21 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyartz
What about Bare Feet Shoes? Here's a link to a site that sells them:

http://www.aldenandclaire.com/bearfeetP5.htm
Lots of styles to choose from, follow the numbers at the bottom.

We're planning on getting DD a pair of the woven sandals for spring/summer wear. A friend of ours has a pair and loves them - very well made, all rubber sole, soft, comfy, etc.
Those are gorgeous, but holy moly, expensive!
#22 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 PM

We bought Pedoodles Next Steps for both our dd's a few months ago. They are very soft and flexible, and darn cute, but the stitching on the narrow back leather strip on the toes of both pairs began to break/unravel in less than 3 months. They have a one year guarantee, so I called Pedoodles. They told me to return them, no questions asked, no receipt needed, etc. They are redesigning the nextsteps, and they'll be out in April, with new styles also. They told me I could get a totally different style, and even a larger size if necessary. Their customer service was excellent. So if anyone has had a pair of the Pedoodles Nextsteps fall apart within a year of purchase, do call them and ask for a replacement. They definitely stand behind their product and uphold the quality guarantee.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#23 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 04:08 PM

The issue I always had with Robeez outside is that the soles don't have enough traction, imo. After a few episodes of DD slipping off the play structures and slide steps, I had to switch to more sticky soles.

Nice to know that there are some rubber soft soled shoes out there! This is the first time I'd heard of them. Thanks!
#24 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

Anyone know how wide the See Kai Run shoes are? My kiddo is an XW on a good day...

Also, has anyone had experience with PediPeds? They look to be constructed the same way as Pedoodles and we have had the thread problem with the Pedoodles on multiple pairs.
#25 of 25 Old 03-19-2006, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Here's another recent thread about soft-soled shoes for outdoor use.

3boobykins (can I just say? it's so fun to type your username)--I've heard about the re-design and I look forward to seeing what they come up with. There is a co-op group waiting to order Pedoodles once the new styles come out, if anyone's interested. I kind of wanted to order shoes sooner, since her old tennis shoes are tight on her feet, but maybe I can convince her feet to quit growing for a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristeremy
I really heart the preschoolians, but they are high. They do give 15% off first purchase and 10% after that.
Thanks for the tip! They're still a bit much, even with discount, but I joined anyway. You never know.

~Serina~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page