APRIL for June '04 Toddlers! 22 months and counting! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good grief. Fir all the effect that stuff had, I may as well have been putting droppersfull of water under my tounge. I guess it's not time.

Man, I hope I don't get another full-blown UTI... :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
smithie- go take a nice warm bath and have a little glass of wine and relax. It might help everything kick in and if not well you got to relax a little.

Or you could have a little conversation w/ the little bugger and tell him/her that you don't want to get sick again and that if it is all possible it is time for him/her to make his/her appearance. I have a friend who swears that her oldest was born when he was because of a similar conversation.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:36 PM

I tried that (not the wine part as I was busy pounding the cohosh, but the bath and conversation part). She's just not on board with my agenda
Old 05-07-2006, 09:37 PM

And, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to bring a waterproof vibrator into the tub (if you have one) - I have a friend who started her labor that way! Really great sex worked for me, either way you can have a fun evening!

I'm going nuts. Killy just had a huge screaming hysterical fit because I wouldn't let him stir the sausage on the stove. The burner was on high and he is just way too grabby. You'd think I was the meanest mommy in the world. And what really pisses me off is that DH is standing there with Ellie crying 2 feet from him and it doesn't occur to him to pick her up until I say, "Pick her up!" WTF? His hearing is fine and he's a genius - why can't he figure this little thing out?

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 PM

"WTF? His hearing is fine and he's a genius - why can't he figure this little thing out?"

Do you live at my house?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
"WTF? His hearing is fine and he's a genius - why can't he figure this little thing out?"

Do you live at my house?
Or mine? We'll be in the car and one of the kids will repeatly ask for something and he doesn't "hear" them. I either get frustrated w/ him or get whatever they need while I'm driving.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy
Or mine? We'll be in the car and one of the kids will repeatly ask for something and he doesn't "hear" them. I either get frustrated w/ him or get whatever they need while I'm driving.
Ugh. Totally. DH was driving today and I was on the phone with my sister. Even while listening to what my sis was saying I could hear Lil asking questions in the backseat over and over. DH was like NO CLUE!!! I had to keep saying excuse me to my sis and answering her questions or to say...Papa, Lil would like to know where her book is (or whatever it was she was asking about). SO annoying!!!! :
Old 05-07-2006, 11:34 PM

Oh Liz. I'm so sorry about your cat. Mine died three years ago on Valentine's Day after a long fight with kidney failure, I miss her so much. She seizured out too (at the ER vets) and I don't think she felt anything. It is scary to watch it though.

Mum, OMG about your DH quitting his job and not telling you. Holy Moly. In your shoes I'd just be starting to get pissed as the stun wears off--but maybe you are more easygoing than me?

Smithie, hope you can reason with your little girl and get her to come out now. What happens if she doesn't? Are you still planning a homebirth?

My narrowly-averted crisis of the week is that I was called for standby jury service a couple weeks ago for tomorrow and never wrote my letter asking to be excused because I can't leave my DD. I hate it when I forget to do crap like that. Luckily I called and I don't even have to go. Though since DH has been gone for the last two weeks and the tantrums around here are just reaching new heights, I have to say that jury duty sounds like a little slice of adult-only heaven.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:04 AM

Well....my water just broke!!!!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama

Yahoo!!!! Did you steal Smithie's labor vibes????? Happy birthing!!! And baby smithie feel free to share a birthday w/ baby dharmama!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Erin- How are you this morning?? Hopefully you are snuggling a new little baby!

Mummoth- I think I would go balistic if my dh quit his job w/out consulting me.

Hey did I tell you all the great news??? I don't know if any of you will remember me telling you about my cousin who lost her baby at 28 weeks about 18 months ago? Anyway she needed to have an U/S because they thought she had a cyst on her ovaries. They looked at her uterus and discovered that she has a strip of skin that runs down the entire length of her uterus and that is what caused her to miscarry and to give birth to Elizbeth at 28 weeks. They think she has had multiple miscarries and that everytime she has had a "hard" period it wasn't a problem w/ her ovaries, like they thought, but a miscarriage. The GREAT news is... they can fix it and she will be able to have a baby!!!! I'm so excited for them!! They are both such nice people and have wanted a baby for SO long. All that they have been through makes me realize how lucky I am! Just thought I'd share!
Old 05-08-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Can't wait to read the birth announcements!

Smithie, my friend had to alternate tinctures of cohosh for a whole day before anything kicked in, and even then we weren't sure if it was the castor oil that did it. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2006, 02:17 PM

Yay Erin! You can have my labor vibes for today, you need them more than I do!

I took some EPO yesterday and this morning, I think I'll just do that, and have red hawt all nite sexxx, and guzzle water and cranberry capsules, for the next couple of days. Having experienced the castor oil thing, I'd honestly rather give birth birth with a UTI :

Re: homebirth and UTI, I think it depends on how much discmofort I'm in. My mw is willing to do it, but the pain of a full-on infection plus the regular ol' pain of dilation might be a bit much to handle. If I go to the hospital, I'll get an epi, but I'll also get a big whopping dose of IV antibiotics when they catch on to the fact that my pee is full of bacteria. And then I'll probably get thrush. Aaaaaauuuuugh. No good choices there.

Maybe I'll go jogging today
Old 05-08-2006, 03:04 PM

Wow, lots of stuff going on. , Liz, that sounds like a horrible mess. I don't even know what to say, except that I hope things get better soon.

Mum- I'd be beyond pissed if Mike quit his job without telling me, without any discussion at all. : he's not the only person who'd be affected by that decision!

Smithie- It's bad enough having a UTI after you give birth, I can't imagine having it during (with no epidural; I had one when BeanBean was born, but I also had pain relief).

BooBah's impetigo is almost gone. The bad news is, she's passed it to Bella. At least I've managed to keep BooBah's fingers out of Bella's face. Yick.

Bella's growing, and it's fan-freaking-tastic. She really seems bigger every day. I told Mike that I thought we should get some small diaper covers, because we have mediums and newborns but the elastic is totally shot in all the smalls. He said he thinks that we should wait, because she might go from a newborn into a medium. Looking at her, it's entirely possible-- if she puts some weight onto her thighs. She's got the skinniest legs I've ever seen on a baby. Chicken legs! It's possible that there will only be a week or two of "overlap" time, though, so I'm going to use Julie's clever fleece suggestion for the interim.

The kids have been so quiet today... it's strange. It makes me nervous. I wanted to take them to the park today but it was wet and rainy this morning and will probably continue to be wet and rainy until the sun goes down. They didn't mind at all.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama

Yay! I hope you're resting with your little one right now!

Smithie, you're next! I've got my fingers crossed that labor will start soon!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:47 PM

Total non-sequitor, but didn't someone on this thread have a baby with a tongue tie? I think Bella has one and I'd like some ideas on dealing with it, because nursing still hurts like a and that sucks.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:49 PM

Rynna, I can't remember if anyone on this thread had a babe with tongue-tie. I do remember HeatherSanders had a babe with tongue-tie and she clipped it herself with no problem at all. Maybe you could PM her. She used to be the Mod of the diapering forum, but she isn't anymore. I'm sure she's still a relatively active member here, though.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:25 PM

OOOH! Erin! So excited for you!

smithie, yeowch. I never thought about a UTI + labor pain together. gosh I wish I had some good suggestion but instead I will just send labor vibes your way.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:49 AM

Hi - Erin's DH here at Erin's side... thought you'd all want to know she's happilly, peacefully snuggling Quinn Joseph!

She pretty much wowed all of us - her midwife, doula & myself - as well as the whole staff here - with a beautiful natural birth.

Life is Good! Thanks for all your positive energy!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:54 AM

Yay! Congrats!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:58 AM

I already said this in our May 2006 DDC but...

CONGRATULATIONS ERIN!!!!

: to Quinn!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 AM

: Congrats Erin (and DH! and Lil!) and welcome Quinn!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:21 AM

Congrats!!!! Welcome to the world baby Quinn!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Congrats, Erin and family!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 AM

Congrats Erin! New babies are so lovely.

On a totally unrelated note, is it normal for children at this age to sleep more than they're awake? Nadia will get up at 8am. Nap from 2pm-5pm. Awake from 5pm-9pm. And then sleep from 9pm-8am. It just seems like an awful lot of sleep.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:41 AM

Wow - that's a lot of sleeping! Killy goes to sleep around 9:30pm and usually sleeps till about 7:30am, and then will take a nap that lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours.

Another tough day today... But, since we've all had colds this week I'll chalk it up to him not feeling well. Now that he's in bed for the night, I'm going through all toys in the house and putting AT LEAST half of them in storage in the basement. I figure I better get ready before MIL arrives with another 10,000 toys for him. She flies in Saturday and is staying for 2 weeks. Last time she was here for 3 weeks and by the end we were really rubbing each other the wrong way. This time I've decided that she will not babysit at all - I think that was the problem. I was a million months pregnant and just wanted to nap and rest, and so she would "watch" Killy, which basically translating into encouraging any type of bad behavior he could come up with. It tooks months to help him learn afterward that spitting on the floor, drawing on himself, and eating off the kitchen floor were not actually appropriate daily activities. So, this time I'm going to be in charge the whole time and not leave her in charge at all, even though its tempting to make use of a free babysitter. I think it will just work out better this way. I hope so, anyway. FIL told me she wanted to stay longer than 2 weeks, but it didn't work with their schedule and I told him that I thought 2 weeks was the maximum that would work for me to not get on her nerves too much - that was the nicest way I could say, "HELL NO can she stay a month!" She's a really sweet lady, but anyone would get tired of constantly having to explain why you parent the way you do, right?

Old 05-10-2006, 02:12 AM

QoC, I totally agree with what you've decided and have had to make similar adjustments myself. The kind of "help" I get is not really worth it sometimes, so now when my mother or MIL come to visit I have radically revised my expectations. Generally, the help I receive is much offset by having to trip over another person in my small apartment. I should not complain though because both my mother and my MIL are pretty respectful of our parenting and parenting choices, but there have been moments of static when we butt up against something (like the cheering about what DD eats when I really want her listening to her own body since she has had so many food issues already.)
Old 05-10-2006, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1
I should not complain though because both my mother and my MIL are pretty respectful of our parenting and parenting choices, but there have been moments of static when we butt up against something (like the cheering about what DD eats when I really want her listening to her own body since she has had so many food issues already.)
Yep, the same type of stuff here. Like the fact that I make sure there are lots of healty fats in Killy's diet. MIL thinks kids should only get skim milk because they shouldn't have too much fat. But, she thinks its weird that I don't give him juice. And, she doesn't give a rip about cleaning house and brags about how she never wasted her time doing that when her kids were little, but I look at how her two kids live now (like total ditch-pigs and rely on others to pick up after them) and I don't see how she can still think that was a wise way to bring them up. Plus the fact that we run a business out of our home, so it needs to be somewhat client-ready at all times. Not life-or-death stuff, but its very frustrating to have to justify WHY Killy should pick up his toys occasionally - you know? Or why he doesn't have apple juice or skim milk in his sippy 24-7 (he only gets water or Enhanced Silk).

Old 05-10-2006, 03:12 AM

Ugh, Queenie! My mother and MIL are so incredible with James, I need to send them cards or something for not encouraging him to spit on the floor My own mother is pretty sloppy, I'm making a bunch of checklists for her to use when she comes out to help with Sarah in the hope that I won't end up weeping with frustration as the mess piles up. But I don't suggest that tactic with an in-law.

Heather, I think that much sleep is well within the normal range for toddlers - enjoy it! James has just dropped his nap, so he gets about 12 hours at night and then is grumpy all afternoon because he NEEDS the freaking nap : I am hoping that when dd is born, we can all take a nap together and that will help his attitude in the afternoons.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
Yep, the same type of stuff here. Like the fact that I make sure there are lots of healty fats in Killy's diet. MIL thinks kids should only get skim milk because they shouldn't have too much fat. But, she thinks its weird that I don't give him juice.
: Sometimes I forget how lucky I am; neither my mother nor MIL would ever suggest that I give the kids skim milk (they're skinny enough!) or that I add juice to their diets. A few months ago, FIL said something to me about juice-- he'd seen something on TV about juice having a lot of sugar and not being good for kids to have all the time. I just smiled and nodded, he was so proud to be "educating" me on the dangers of juice. Then SIL walked in and said, "Um, I think Rynna knew that already, she's always been very strict about the amount of juice that the kids drink... why do you think they only get one 4-oz juice box a day when they're here?" : It was pretty funny.

Sleep-- BooBah likes to go to sleep around 8:30-9:00 and wake around 8:00. She takes one nap every other day, either around 11:45 am or around 3:00pm, but not both and rarely two days in a row. I'm probably going to take the kids out today, so she's very likely to nap around 3. I know that there's a wide range of normal when it comes to sleep at this age; some two year olds still nap twice a day, others don't nap much at all. I'm pretty sure that BooBah's getting enough sleep most of the time, so I don't worry about her. BeanBean, however, has gotten to the point where he fights sleep. This morning, though, he woke up and said, "That was a good night's sleep!" before trotting off to the bathroom. It was pretty sweet.

BooBah's climbing experiments have been more dangerous lately-- like right now, she's climbing on the back of the chair that I'm sitting in while singing "ABC" at the top of her lungs. The thing is, she's singing and not paying attention to where her feet are at all. I'm terrified that she's going to crack her head open this summer, and I won't be able to catch her because I don't run quickly with Bella in the sling.

We've also been having some major biting issues lately, primarily with BooBah biting BeanBean. She actually broke skin on his back twice yesterday, and last night as they were going to bed she bit his finger. I'm not sure if it's the teeth coming in (she's still working on her canines) or something else, but I can't deal with her biting BeanBean, it's just not right. I'm so tempted to get her a wooden chew-toy, like the kind that you give to small animals? Or maybe one of those bones that you give to dogs... but they can't be good for babies.

At least she's only bitten Bella twice altogether..

User Tag List