APRIL for June '04 Toddlers! 22 months and counting! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 272 Old 05-19-2006, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck, Smithie!

New babies are so exciting! I enjoyed some quiet time with Bella today; the kids went to the IL's last night, so it was just me and she this morning. She doesn't seem to know what to make of the quiet.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#242 of 272 Old 05-19-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I am reading, and anxious for everyone's news, but mired in spackling, priming popcorn ceilings : , allowing my toddler to watch way too much tv, and answering calls from the roofer, the realtor in NY, dh, MIL, etc etc. We found a house! I don't know if I said that already! It has 30 acres and is a steal for the neighborhood, so we're wondering what's wrong with it. I think it's just that it needs a lot of cosmetic work. My MIL is lending us the down payment! I am so grateful. So I really am feeling tremendous stress related to getting this house on the market, and watching the local houses for sale, and not sleeping well, and feeling bad that my toddler, who will be my last toddler, is not getting the attention his sister got at this age. It's hard always to think "it will be perfect as soon as..."

Anxiously awaiting birth announcements, Smithie! Good luck with the induction! I've never gotten to 39 weeks so I think I would be more-than-ready too.

The thread is quite chatty, we're just disorganized mothers-of-two-year-olds. But we should have a June thread for sure. Maybe we should start it on Killy's birthday?! He was the first of us, I believe, and that was May twenty-something? Fifth? Forgive me for not remembering off-hand.

Back to spackling and installing drywall. Dd is making a lot of meals for us these days.
#243 of 272 Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 PM

Good Luck Smithie!

Liz- Congrats on the house!

My girls have been watching way too much TV. I've been working on the dance studio yearbook all week. I've had to scan in over 50 pages as well as creating a bunch of dedication pages because even though the parents who bought a dedication page were suppose to turn them in ready to be scanned many didn't. UGH!!!

I'm also organizing a benefit for my neighbor's son. He is very sick and needs to go to Boston for surgery. His medical costs are already though the roof and now w/ this it will cost them about $130 a day for hotel fees because Ronald McDonald house only helps cancer families in Boston. She's a single mom of 3 and things are already tight. She is so close to going over the edge.

Gotta run and finish burning this stuff for the yearbook! Have agreat weekend everyone!!
#244 of 272 Old 05-20-2006, 12:05 AM

Excellent memory, Liz! Killy's b-day is May 25th. Its soooo hard to believe that he'll be two years old next week! Its also hard to believe that DH and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary today. He did very well: I got flowers and a diamond necklace. He got a Nintendo DS game and a clock for his office mantle (its a really unusual design that I knew he'd LOVE).

Anyone thinking about b-day parties yet? I'm doing a cake decorated as a train and we'll be grilling. Just four kids are coming over and two are Ellie's age so they hardly count! It should be a nice relaxing afternoon... I think I might send an invite to my midwife, though - I think it would be cool if she stopped by since she caught Killian two years ago!

So, we're all finally recovered. Though I'm still not eating as much as usual, food is just scary when food poisoning makes you that sick and then you have to watch it run through every ohter member of your family over the course of the week. My sister ended up having to get an IV of fluids yesterday - it was really scary for awhile, she got really incoherant and could hardly walk. She'd been having diarhea for 4 days and hadn't been drinking much water at all, so she was super-dehydrated.

The other big news is that Ellie is six months old today! I gave her a taste of banana in the baby safe feeder - her first foray into solid foods. It was very bittersweet, of course...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#245 of 272 Old 05-20-2006, 01:32 AM

blog with pictures - of all the goings-on today!

#246 of 272 Old 05-20-2006, 08:59 PM

That clock is so cool! I love clocks. I'm weird, I know. I also love all the physics books on the shelves... I miss being a geek so much...

Sandi-- I had no idea that R McD houses were so different in different places! I know people who've stayed at the one in Hershey while their kids were in the hospital, and none of thier children had cancer. In fact, they all lived within easy driving distance of the hospital, they just stayed so that they could be closer to their kids. In both cases the kids were very ill, one was touch and go for a while (a head injury from falling, in a baby walker, down a flight of stairs onto a concrete floor), but I think that the only thing that they had in common was that the kids were sick and the parents couldn't easily drive to see them every day. I'm really surprised that there isn't an organization designed to help people in your friend's situation near every major children's hospital.

Liz-- I too feel mired, but unlike you I see no end in sight. When are you planning to make the big move?

Birthday parties-- one of Mike's myriad cousins is getting married on BooBah's birthday. I have no idea whether or not we'll be expected to go to the wedding (I suspect not, but I have no way of knowing), but Mike's parents and sister will definately be expected there. I don't know what we'll do for BooBah. She really loved the watermelon cake last year, we may do that again. I'll ask her what she wants, and keep an eye out for her. It may end up being a small, non-extended family event. Hopefully her guardians will be able to come to whatever we do this year, I'd really like to see them. :

ChibiChibi is going to be nine years old next week. I'm totally in shock, I can hardly believe that it's been that long since she was born. Her mother's nearly a grownup now! Chibi's kind of depressed, but when I remind her that a) school will be over in just a few more weeks and b) after that, she'll never have to go to school again she cheers up somewhat. She's also very happy that I actually listen to her, and that I'll take her side if her argument makes sense, and that I'll explain my reasons if I don't agree with her. In short, she likes being treated like a person. I love her to bits, and I hate seeing her suffer through things that can be changed... she's got enough crap to deal with in her life that I can't fix.

I've got a personal interest in keeping her sane, though. I'm so not ready to be a great-aunt, and I don't think I'll be any more ready 5 years from now than I am today! If ChibiChibi gets pregnant, there's no way in that she'll get to keep the baby; sorry, but I'm not willing to watch her screw up the way that her mother has/is. I've already made it very clear to her that if she gets pregnant before she's ready to parent, Mike and I will raise the baby. I'm hoping that these words make an impression on her long before she's interested in becoming sexually active, and I'm also hoping that open discussion will delay sexual activity for her until she's really ready. I worry so much about her and her sister, because with my sister as a role model... well, I think it's safe to say that she's not the most sexually responsible person in the world.

BooBah's such a person, and she's having a huge growth spurt. It's very exciting to me, and very cool. In paper diapers, her 2's fall off of her hips but the length is *just* right; she actually does better in a 3 with a cloth diaper. Fantastic! BeanBean has also gotten taller, now his size 4 jeans come just to his ankles and even look a little short on him, he's solidly in a 5 slim. Bella's doing best of all-- she *fits* in her 0-3's! She's our first child who may outgrow the 0-3 size around three months, rather than just starting to fill them out. : She's growing much more quickly than I expected her to, thanks to her reflux (which is much worse than BooBah's ever was). She may slow down a bit after she gets some zantac, but in the meantime she's looking so big! I can hardly believe that Bella is nearly two months old, it's just amazing to me. There's that whole strange time effect happening-- she seems brand new, but so much crap has happened that it feels like it should have been two weeks or two years, but nothing in between.

#247 of 272 Old 05-20-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Sandi-- I had no idea that R McD houses were so different in different places! I know people who've stayed at the one in Hershey while their kids were in the hospital, and none of thier children had cancer. In fact, they all lived within easy driving distance of the hospital, they just stayed so that they could be closer to their kids. In both cases the kids were very ill, one was touch and go for a while (a head injury from falling, in a baby walker, down a flight of stairs onto a concrete floor), but I think that the only thing that they had in common was that the kids were sick and the parents couldn't easily drive to see them every day. I'm really surprised that there isn't an organization designed to help people in your friend's situation near every major children's hospital.
I had no idea either. In fact my cousin who does a ton volunteer work at RMDH here was shocked too. It's very frustrating!

Lily is talking up a storm and singing like crazy! She even likes to make up her own songs. It's so funny. She's so darn cute and cracks me up about a thousand times a day. The other day dh got a diaper to change her and she said to him "ahh daddy you got a diaper for me! Thank you that was so nice!" It just cracked us up! She's trying to dress herself too. Today she put her pants on after a diaper change and got frustrated because both legs were in the same hole and she couldn't walk very well.
Oh and in the car this evening she threw a huge fit because dh put her in the car and buckled her in, instead of letting her get in the car and then in her seat, because it was raining and about 5 minutes after she started crying she stopped and asked for a tissue. Dh gave it to her and she stuck out her bottom lip and wiped her tears and then pitifully blew her nose. It was quite the show! She is such a drama queen!!

Smithie- I hope you're snuggling your new little bundle!!

QoC- I can't believe Killy is going to be 2 in a few days!! MAn weren't we all just sitting around talking about our pregnancies and wondering who was going to be first??
#248 of 272 Old 05-21-2006, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sarah Kemp was born at home on Saturday, May 20th, 2006 at 4:41 in the afternoon. She weighed 7 lbs 2 oz at birth, measured 20 inches long, and is absolutely beautiful in that red, squished newborn way.

Pictures and birth story to follow. Long story short - some back labor which totally sucked, but with less than 4 hours between the first painful contraction and when she came out, I can't complain too much.
#249 of 272 Old 05-21-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie
Sarah Kemp was born at home on Saturday, May 20th, 2006 at 4:41 in the afternoon. She weighed 7 lbs 2 oz at birth, measured 20 inches long, and is absolutely beautiful in that red, squished newborn way.

Pictures and birth story to follow. Long story short - some back labor which totally sucked, but with less than 4 hours between the first painful contraction and when she came out, I can't complain too much.
Yay Smithie! BIG congrats!

nak...

quinn and i slept upstairs for the first time last night (we've been on the couch) and this morning i decided that we're buying a king bed today. it was too sqishy with 4 of us in the queen. i told dh this morning and he was all for it. we might only be able to afford a mattress but that's fine....the lower to the ground the better!
#250 of 272 Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 AM

WOO HOO!!! Welcome to the world baby Sarah! Congrats Smithie!

Kevin is out of town for a few days (actually, he comes home late tonight...that went fast!) He went to Saltspring to visit a friend & it turns out ALL the guys are there for the long weekend (Victoria Day on Monday) So he's probably going to be in rough shape when he gets home Next summer, Caitlin will probably be old enough that *I* can take off for a night
Caitlin is obsessed with boats. when we're at the beach, she freaks out when they go by. I told her that daddy went on a boat (ferry) and it was all she'd talk about after that.
I decided to take them on the bus/Skytrain & for a ride on the Seabus acroos to Lonsdale Quay. Holy crap! The whole time we were on it, she was sqealing "Boat! Boat!" and giggling maniaclly! Roland wanted to know if a pirate was driving When we got to the Quay, we went to their favourite fine dining resaurant (McDonalds) & wandered around some shops. On the way home, we took a walk through Gastown & saw the steam clock. They both loved it & Caitlin said "Again! Again!" when the music stopped. The Skytrain is remotely operated, so theres a regular passenger seat right at the front. Roland got to sit in it & he's been bragging about what a good driver he is They were both *very* well behaved the whole time, so it was fun for all of us. We were all totally beat by the time we got home. We made a video for Daddy, because hes got access to a computer where he is. Then we had watermelon & english muffins for supper, they had a bath & it was story time. Oh yeah! we got new stories while we were out, too! 3 Arthurs, Jack & the Beanstalk & one about Canada ---Roland likes non-fiction--- I think it may be his new favourite (thank goodness! I'm tired of reading about the digestive system!)
Today, I think we're going to stay closer to home, but go on another adventure.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#251 of 272 Old 05-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Welcome to the world baby Sarah!!! Congrats smithie, way to go!!!! I can't wait to see pics!

mummoth- That sounds like so much FUN!
#252 of 272 Old 05-21-2006, 02:00 PM

Congrats, Smithie!!!!! Welcome, Sarah!

#253 of 272 Old 05-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Congrats Smithie!
#254 of 272 Old 05-22-2006, 03:07 AM

OK, here's the looong story and the photo link.

At exactly midnight on Friday, May 12, I had a "real" contraction that felt exactly like it had with James. Wanting to rest a bit, I timed about three of those about 10 minutes apart and then drifted off until Scott came upstairs at 2. I had just woken up from the discomfort of another contraction, so I decided we should stay up. He wanted me to call the midwife but I wanted to wait.

So we started tackling my extensive "When Smithie Goes Into Labor" list. I folded laundry, stripped the bed, etc. He disinfected the tub, set up the card table for the mw, dragged out the birth kit, set up the video camera, etc. I had taken some black and blue cohosh when I went downstairs for the laundry and called the midwife in the midst of folding. I told her I'd call her back in half an hour or so if I was sure.

I went and sat in my favorite chair (enormous recliner rocker) and after a couple more very well-defined contractions, I called the mw back and also called my birth doula, Nicole. I told Scott that I refused to give birth until the house was clean, and went upstairs to take a shower and put in my contacts. I was very excited at this point.

Nicole arrived while I was showering, she helped me unload all my maternity clothes from the closet and started hanging up my postpartum stuff. The midwife arrived and checked me - AND THERE WAS NO CHANGE FROM MY EXAM ON WEDNESDAY. Still 3 cm and mostly effaced.

We decided to sit downstairs for an hour so Scott, who hadn’t slept at all, could get some rest and I could try out my most effective position so far, sitting cross-legged in my big chair. We spent the hour chatting, timing contractions, dealing with the wild excitement of the dogs, and trying to help the Very Lost Assistant Midwife over the phone. She eventually got here and I had the midwife check me again. Still no change. They all left, after cheerfully assuring me that this could go on for days.

So I waddled up to bed and slept from about 5 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., waking up periodically with uncomfortable contractions. Now I’m up for the day, and so is James. I thought I’d wake up feeling normal and just have to wait another week or whatever, but I’m still putzing along with contractions. Some of them are no big deal, but some of them are quite ouchy. Sarah has been kicking and clawing and her head has moved down. She wants out.

My baby shower is today at 2 p.m. Something tells me I’ll be dragging a preggo outfit out of the bag and attending it. This sucks. This sucks. This sucks.

-------------------------
I labored ineffectively all day Saturday. I tried a couple more doses of blue cohosh plus some in an enema, took a walk, sat in my contraction-inducing position in the big chair – nothing seemed to have much effect. We had takeout Chinese for lunch and James obliged us by taking a nap.

I managed to get a couple hours sleep, then woke up when my mom called to check in. James woke up crying shortly afterwards – he had removed his diaper and peed on his bedroom floor. He certainly knows when to try a new trick for maximum effect ☺ I decided to plop him in front of the TV and let Scott keep sleeping in case I needed him fresh later.

I called my midwife around 6 p.m. to give her an update. She advised me to have a half glass of wine and a hot bath if the labor hadn’t “turned the corner” by bedtime tonight. At this point, I am seriously considering going to the hospital for the Pit/epi/sleeping pill overnight induction routine, if the OB on duty is even willing to treat my non-compliant crunchy-granola homebirth-planning self.

I called Evergreen Hospital a little before 7 p.m. and made it as far as the OB charge nurse. Man, was she not excited about inheriting me and my putzy labor, but she promised to consult with the doc and have somebody call me back. I fear she is secretly calling the midwife. Meanwhile James was climbing on the back of the couch, flirting with the possibility of falling through the living room window and killing himself. I’m sweating with effort sitting still in this chair. This is Not Good.

------------------------------
After I called the hospital, I had a good cry and felt a little better. My contractions became more regular and more painful. I woke up Scott and we watched some of our DVRed programming and talked. We both agreed that we didn’t like Ali (the on-call midwife) nearly as much as Val (the midwife who delivered James), but thought she was competent. Scott went out to get Subway for dinner. James is fussing at me, I have no idea why.

-----------------------------------
I never heard back from Evergreen and was seriously starting to lose it. I didn’t feel comfortable calling Ali again, so we took James over to the Tomkos for the night and went to Overlake to get me checked. I hadn’t dilated further, the EFM showed good vitals on both me and Sarah, and the OB/GYN on call was not interested in dragging herself out of bed to see me. At this point, I had not slept for 24 hours and was at the end of my rope. This was a serious low point, I knew that I was becoming too exhausted to cope with active labor. Fortunately, Scott thought to ask if Tylenol PM would be OK to take, and the nurses thought it would be fine (I never did speak to the doctor, she discharged me sight unseen, if my labor ultimately has a bad outcome I hope somebody reads this, looks up my records at Overlake, and sues her ass).

We stopped at Walgreen’s on the way home and Scott went in for the medicine and a bottle of water. I took it in the car and was already feeling better by the time we got home. We went to bed, slept in on Sunday morning (Happy Mother’s Day!), and went to pick up James. I had a few painful contractions in the course of the day, but nothing compared to the day before.

Scott and I discussed the whole prodromal saga some more and agreed that we did not want Ali at the birth. In fact, the entire birth team (Ali, the student midwife, and the doula) pretty much sucked. Since Val, the midwife who delivered James, is on call for a week starting Monday at noon, we are hoping that Sarah will decide to get things going for real sometime before the 22nd.

-----------------------------
When I saw Val on Wednesday the 17th, she absolutely made my day by saying that it would be OK to “pick a birth date” and do an amniotomy at home. We decided on Saturday the 20th, and I spent the next couple of days doing important errands, going to James’ 2-year WCC, etc. I also had my nails done on Friday afternoon. Scott bought a new video camera. I washed and folded and organized like a maniac. It was great.

The morning of the induction, I woke up at 7, did some laundry, and cleaned the house. James got up a few minutes before 9 and had breakfast. At 9:30, I woke Scott up so I could strip the bed and he could shower before Val’s arrival. We clashed a bit over the issue of whether James would be going to a friend’s house or staying home during the birth. Eventually, he dropped the whole “he’ll be traumatized” approach and told me that he didn’t want to miss out on any key moments of the birth due to being distracted by James’ needs. This, I could relate to. I relented.

Val arrived a little after 10, dragged in her kit, and took my vitals. My cervix had moved forward and dilated another centimeter since Wednesday and the bag was still bulging, so we decided to go ahead! Scott filmed the amniotomy around 11 and then left to take James to Marion’s house (there had been some drama when Marion initially didn’t answer her cell phone, but it was resolved). I showered, walked up and down the stairs, tidied a bit, squatted etc. to get things moving. I lost a lot of fluid, working my way through six Depends undergarments.

Sarah kicked and wriggled and moved even lower down. Scott realized after dropping James off that he had forgotten his wallet and couldn’t buy tapes for the camera or lunch for all of us. He came home for it, and I told him to hurry up as I was starting to have contractions.

Scott came back with Subway, and after we ate Val took off to hang out at a local greenhouse until things got interesting. We prepped the bed and the tub, and I had my first really ouchy contraction during this process. I wanted to lie down for awhile, so Scott went downstairs to have a snack and watch TV. It was actually really nice to be alone.

At 1:11, I had a truly unpleasant contraction, and they kept coming at about 7-minute intervals. Val got back at 1:40 just as I was getting ready to get in the tub, she said I was very effaced and had dilated another centimeter and asked me to wait on the tub for a bit as it would slow things down. I decided to get up and move around.

OK, I’m a little blurry from this point on ☺ I know that I Iabored downstairs kneeling in front of my recliner, upstairs lying on my side in bed and in the tub, backwards on the toilet for a few contractions near the end… we have it all on video, but I haven’t watched that part yet. Basically, it hurt a lot, I yelled a lot, and we had to close the bedroom window and smother lest my neighbors call the cops.

In the end, Val pushed away a slight lip of cervix and Sarah decided to do us all a favor and rotate out of her posterior position. I pushed her out in just a few minutes on my hands and knees. Val tried really hard with compresses and almond oil to keep things together, but I tore a tiny bit on both labia as her head was born and got a funny crescent-shaped tear down below as her body came out. The latter tear followed the shape of my scar tissue from the tear with James.

Sarah was born around 4:30 p.m., although the birth record apparently says 4:42. She was nice and pink and cried right away. Her cord was short, so she had to wait for the afterbirth before she could nurse. I showered while the bedding was changed, then lay back down to be sutured. Sarah managed to latch on in the side-lying position, not too shabby for a baby less than one hour old!

Scott went to fetch James, who was minimally interested in his new sister but thrilled to finish the container of Ben and Jerry’s I’d been eating when he walked in.

We’ve had a great first 24 hours, including some actual sleep on the first night! I’ve been popping ibuprofen and using Soothies breast pads, and I’m much more comfortable than I was at this point after James’ birth. I’m really looking forward to my first postpartum chiropractic adjustment tomorrow. Scott is taking a week off, and then my mom will be here. We are so thrilled with how smoothly the birth went and how healthy and content Sarah seems to be.

A few photos (warning, there is boob): http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...h&x=0&y=-n8s8b
#255 of 272 Old 05-22-2006, 10:15 AM

Smithie, congrats! She's beautiful!

They can't be comfortable, but BeanBean and BooBah are standing behind me on the chair. I'm not going to be able to do this for too much longer, because BeanBean is very close to reading independantly, so I suppose I should be enjoying this semi-independant time. Anyway, they're standing behind me, drinking yogurt. Bella is in my lap in a blanket; I was just getting ready to put her into her basket when the kids climbed up here. So much for my personal time. I really wanted to be alone for a little while, just a few minutes...

#256 of 272 Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 AM

Smithie, what a terrific birth story! You look radiant and Sarah is beautiful!
#257 of 272 Old 05-23-2006, 02:44 AM

Ugh. So tired of the epic battles about everything... Getting in the stroller, getting in the booster seat, going outside, coming inside, taking a bath, getting out of the bath, being told not to drop things down the stairs (over the baby gate), being told to stop drinking bathwater... Its so hard to stay calm all day long when faced with a HUGE battle over every single little decision.

The ILs are visiting, and the visit is going fairly well. I just get really annoyed with them at times. Typical stuff, I'm sure: they watch me give the kids a bath (its so darn cute!), then wander off when its time to get the kids in pajamas so I'm left with two cold, wet, naked, crying children while they sit in their room next to the nursery and read. WTH? Or like today, when MIL bumped her head at the zoo and FIL immediately burst into tears because he was so scared. Okay, she does have lupus so he worried about her health a lot, but it was a really minor bump and all she said was "Ow!" in a perfectly conversational tone. But, he's pretty rational about all things not dealing with her health...

They keep commenting on how active Killy is all the time and marveling about it - neither of their kids were like that at all. Its nice to have that validation that he is more challenging than the average two year old. FIL was telling me about how when they took the kids to the park yesterday he had to go to the bathroom and MIL was left to watch BOTH KIDS! Like it was medal-worthy and nearly impossible, and I just said that yeah I'm sure it was a handful... What do they think I do every day? DH works at home, but the key word there is WORK, he doesn't help with the kids much at all. Its me and the wild toddler and the baby EVERY day. The upside is that they have not made one comment (directly or indirectly) about me being too strict, I think they get it now... Killy is very headstrong and quite bright, and the key to keeping some sanity in the house is to have very clearly defined limits and expectations and sticking to them 100% of the time.

Ugh. I'm sorry - I feel like I always get online here to whine about my spirited child and my family. I love Killy and my family to pieces, its just tough because I don't feel like there's any socially acceptable outlet for SAHM's to vent their day-to-day frustrations. Know what I mean? I feel like most people's attitude is just "Well, you choose to stay home - what do you expect? Don't whine about it if its what you want to do." It should be possible to share frustrations without being made to feel like a crappy mom or a big whiny-pants.

#258 of 272 Old 05-23-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups

Ugh. I'm sorry - I feel like I always get online here to whine about my spirited child and my family. I love Killy and my family to pieces, its just tough because I don't feel like there's any socially acceptable outlet for SAHM's to vent their day-to-day frustrations. Know what I mean? I feel like most people's attitude is just "Well, you choose to stay home - what do you expect? Don't whine about it if its what you want to do." It should be possible to share frustrations without being made to feel like a crappy mom or a big whiny-pants.
Vent away, Queenie! I totally hear you! I feel bad for venting to dh sometimes, because he works very, very hard. Lots and lots of hours. BUT, he gets to go to the bathroom by himself while he's there. He goes out for business lunches several times/week to very nice restaurants. He gets to travel to awesome places. For Christ's sake, he gets to spend 20 minutes alone in the car everyday driving to and from work! Fortunately, he's awesome about helping out around the house and with the kids when he's here.

Julie hasn't been around. Is she on vacation or something?
#259 of 272 Old 05-23-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect, Smithie, in every, every way!

Great New Thing to Keep Rowan Occupied: Old fax machine plugged in but not hooked to the phone. Lots of beeping and paper coming out.
#260 of 272 Old 05-23-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom
Vent away, Queenie! I totally hear you! I feel bad for venting to dh sometimes, because he works very, very hard. Lots and lots of hours. BUT, he gets to go to the bathroom by himself while he's there. He goes out for business lunches several times/week to very nice restaurants. He gets to travel to awesome places. For Christ's sake, he gets to spend 20 minutes alone in the car everyday driving to and from work! Fortunately, he's awesome about helping out around the house and with the kids when he's here.
: I tell my dh those things all the time.
#261 of 272 Old 05-23-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
: With the exceptions of the business lunches and the travel; last time Mike travelled for work, he took us all with him. Mike hates business lunches, too; for him, those are work (he's very, very introverted and prefers to "shut down" entirely for lunch, or spend it playing at the park with the kids). Still, the idea of going to the bathroom by myself, or driving for a whole 30 minutes by myself-- bliss! Playing the music as loud as I want without worrying about damaging little ears or hearing strange things come out of little mouths (try explaining to your superconservative IL's what "I found you, Ms. New Booty!" is all about : ). Wow, it's like, a dream come true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
FIL was telling me about how when they took the kids to the park yesterday he had to go to the bathroom and MIL was left to watch BOTH KIDS! Like it was medal-worthy and nearly impossible, and I just said that yeah I'm sure it was a handful... What do they think I do every day?
Well, obviously you sit around eating bon bons... I tend to laugh at people when they say/imply things like that, or ask for my medal. I'm a smartass, though.

We had a big day yesterday-- BooBah pooped in the toilet all by herself!!! :applause When she finished, I wiped her and washed her hands, and then she vanished while I washed mine. I came out of the bathroom to find her wearing a pair of BeanBean's underpants. "I'm wearing underpants on my buns. I don't want a diaper!" She wore them the rest of the day-- through a loooong nap (2.5 hours!) and a three hour trip to the park! I'm so impressed with her, hooray for BooBah! She wanted a diaper to go to bed last night, but she's wearing underpants again this morning. I'm so happy for her! Hooray for BooBah! We called Daddy and Nanny to tell them all about it.

I have to say, though, that if I didn't have a little one in my arms, I'd probably be the teensiest bit depressed about BooBah's imminent toilet training. She just seems like such a big girl! : She's super cool, though, there's always something new and interesting to watch her do. Go, BooBah, Go!

#262 of 272 Old 05-24-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
Great New Thing to Keep Rowan Occupied: Old fax machine plugged in but not hooked to the phone. Lots of beeping and paper coming out.
I started breathing heavy when I read this. I am so giving this a try the next time R and I are driving each other crazy.

ITA with all of you about 1) a place to vent and 2) how darn hard this full-time mothering gig is. It's nice to have a place to talk about it without getting advice in return. I don't need advice, I just need sympathy.

I better get off the computer and get to bed while I can...
#263 of 272 Old 05-24-2006, 01:09 AM

Please pray for my sister, everyone... She was in a car wreck today and has lots of cuts and bruises and 26 stitches in her left leg. She's really lucky to be alive, honestly... Her car is completely totalled. She's at home now (with us) recovering. It was a really scary stressful day.

Oh, and FIL has the vomitting/diarhea bug we all had last week, so it was definitely a virus and NOT food poisoning. Ugh.

In happy news, the kid's well child visits were today. They're totally healthy and doing great, here's the stats:

Killy - 2 years
36.5 inches tall (90th percentile)
30 lbs (70th percentile)

Ellie - 6 months
hearing test was excellent
26.5 inches tall (75th percentile)
17 lbs 2 oz (75th percentile)

I'm off to crash into bed...

#264 of 272 Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 AM

Queenie- sending healing vibes to your sister!
#265 of 272 Old 05-24-2006, 11:59 AM

Oh Queenie....healing vibes to your sister!!!

Ugh mamas. I'm really struggling.

nak...

quinn is 2 weeks old and i've had so little time to just sit and savor him. i am feeling so resentful towards lily because she is being so demanding of my time....but then i feel guilty because she is just being a normal healthy 2 year old.

ok. i'm putting both kids in the car and driving around...i just don't have the energy to deal with lily's nap-fighting antics so long car rides have been my saving grace.
#266 of 272 Old 05-24-2006, 12:55 PM

Queenie, . I'll be thinking of your sister.

Erin, honestly, nobody ever told me how much harder it is with two. After ds was born, thinking back to just having one seemed almost like having none! Hold on tight, because it's a crazy ride! Hang in there, you're a great mama. You may not feel like it on some days, but you are!
#267 of 272 Old 05-24-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Queenie, . I'll be thinking of your sister.

Erin, honestly, nobody ever told me how much harder it is with two. After ds was born, thinking back to just having one seemed almost like having none! Hold on tight, because it's a crazy ride! Hang in there, you're a great mama. You may not feel like it on some days, but you are!
thanks susan! :
#268 of 272 Old 05-25-2006, 02:03 PM

QoC-- Car accidents suck.

Erin-- Two was, for me, the most difficult transition thus far. Things get easier when your oldest can chase the wild one, but when the older one is at the running age and the baby needs constant attention... well, life can get very difficult. Be strong! It does get better! Before you know it, you'll be taking both kids out and trying to remember why you thought having two was so difficult before.

Mike and I have decided that we're never taking BeanBean to the ER again. The next time he needs stitches, I'm going to see if I can do it myself. His deductible is ridiculous, and of course it's doing damage to our credit every day that it stays unpaid. Here's the kicker: the hospital and the doctors bill separately! We have to pay the deductible for both the facility and the doctor! Crazy people. I was watching the news a while back, and someone was talking about the sorry state of most Americans' credit. They gave you all the cute little "tips" that they do ("make more than minimum payments" and "transfer your balances to cards with lower interest" ) and then in passing mentioned that most credit debt in this country is for things like car repair and medical bills. In other words, emergencies!! It's not like people are running around, frivolously spending; no, most Americans are like us-- carrying debt because their car broke down and they need it to get to work, or because their kid slammed his head and needed stitches.

In better news: BooBah is actually diaper trained! This means that unlike her brother, she does not pee when she's got anything on her buns; she can wear a pair of underpants all day long and use the toilet! She still asks for a diaper to go to bed, and I am not brave enough to take her anywhere other than the park (a whopping 6 blocks) without a diaper, but at home she can wear underpants. I'm so happy!! : This morning BooBah dressed herself in a pair of blue training pants and her Very Lonely Firefly t-shirt (I actually bought it when BeanBean was about 4 months old, because I couldn't resist and it was only $3.97 ) and her sandals. She's super cute!

Bella is sitting in her new (to her) kicky bounce; BeanBean and BooBah destroyed the one that BooBah used. I didn't feel too badly about it, because BooBah was the fourth or fifth child to use that kicky bounce, but I missed it when it wasn't around. Lucky for me, my SIL got one for my niece from her brother (he thought it was a swing ). My niece hated it, so it was hardly used at all, and my brother mailed it to me this week. It looks brand new, and Bella hasn't decided what to make of it yet.

BeanBean is moving toys around. I'd stop him, but if I do that he'll expect me to sit and read with him and I don't think I want to do that just now. The sky looks horribly gray, but if the sun comes out I'll take them to Pine Grove and let them run for a while. They definately need some fresh air.

I'm madly in love with my kids today. I've decided that I'm not going to raise my voice (for a change) at all today. Let's see how long I hold out. :

#269 of 272 Old 05-25-2006, 03:07 PM

Wow, I've been out of the loop for a week

Congrats, Smithie on Sarah. The birth sounds like it was an absolute dream--well as much as labor can be. Reading homebirths really makes me want to have one myself but alas, I was an uneducated birther the first few times and allowed myself to have two c-sections.

We're (more like myself) have been busting my buns all week trying to get the house cleaned and things ready to go for vacation that we leave for tomorrow. Its just to my mother's house (5 hours away) but with two little kids and two dogs, it is a lot more work that it sounds.

Its finally warmed up so I can make Nadia go run around outside in the fenced in yard with the dogs in the kennel. You'd think that would make it easier but somehow I get dragged into chalking or bubble-blowing duty. Matt has been working his tail off all week. (Background info: He's in the Navy and is in charge of a barracks of IT students here.) It really amazes me that some of these students have to have someone hold them by the hand each and everyday and explain what to do. "Tie your boots. Make your bed. Put your stuff away. Take a shower!" Yes, even the take a shower. I don't know how many times he has come home to tell me about a student who hasn't showered in umpteen days. How did they make it through the first 18 years of life?!

We've come up for orders and decided if we can't get overseas duty (Italy in particular), then we're ready to leave the military life.

I"m trying to get everything sent out I've sold from my Hyenacart the past few weeks but I'm not having any luck getting alone time so I can concentrate on finishing things. *sigh*

Erin, the first thing that people told me when I got pregnant immediately after having Nadia was that it was going to be hard. I NEVER realized just how hard. I thought I was going to go batty somedays dealing with an independent Nadia and a clingy newborn who had colic. But ever since Hayden has grown out of the "baby" stage and is starting to become a big boy--moving on his own and playing with toys--its become 100% easier.

Okay, now that I wrote a book, I'll end this and stop procrastinating Clothes need washed and even though they smell funky enough to walk themselves, I don't think they'll wash themselves.
#270 of 272 Old 05-25-2006, 04:10 PM

Erin- Hang in there, it really does get better! For me going from one to two was almost more then I could handle. It was really insane. Lauren wanted so much attention and I just couldn't give it to her. Dh would get up early get himself ready and then get LAuren up and ready and play w/ her for about an hour before going into work. I think Maddie was 6 months old before I didn't feel like I was being ripped into pieces. It was WAY easier going from 2 to 3 because Lauren & Maddie had each other and Lauren was 5 so she could help me out to some extent. Anyway it does get better!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page