Nudist Toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD, 18.5 months, prefers to be naked. There are no if's, and's or butt's ( ) about it! She has managed to remove all of her clothes, every day, except for jeans that have a zipper and snap. She will generally leave her soft shoes and socks on, but if she's not wearing shoes, she will take her socks off first.

I don't mind at all, it is getting warmer, but my Mother thinks it is shameful and says punitive things to her when she does this. I keep telling her that nudity is a normal toddler behavior, but she's not buying into it.

Are there any resources out there for me to reference to my Mother so she can understand that this is normal and something that doesn't need to be addressed?
I think having a little naked girl running around gives character to the house!

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#2 of 19 Old 04-17-2006, 05:36 AM

I can't think of anything to help you with your mom, other than to tell her it's normal. My 2 year old can be naked in 10 seconds if you say the word SWIM. Quite embarassing in the middle of playgroup. I'm lucky if she's got clothes on around the house. Freedom of expression!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 07:54 AM

My 2 year old loves to be naked too. I ask her if she wants to get dressed and she tells me "no naked!"
#4 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 AM

My son is 20 months and he is the same way, he'll take off whatever he can and then run up to me shouting "off, off" and pulling on the offending clothing. The only way to really get him to *want* to get dressed is to mention going outside. I agree having a naked little around the house gives it character!
#5 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 09:22 AM

My dd loved to be naked from about 16 months on to about 2 and then she discovered dresses!! It is so completely normal and really cute apart from when she stripped off in the middle of the park and wouldn't have anything to do with her clothes all the other kids were dressed! The park-keeper came up and told me to get her dressed! Anyway it is normal and I'm really looking forward to that stage with ds when it arrives sometime later on this year I'm expecting!

No information for you - just support.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#6 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Banned

I don't have any info either but my mom told me it was impossible to keep me dressed as a small child. We have a ton of pictures of me at age 2-3, happily playing outside in the dirt, wearing nothing (or maybe wearing undies)

You could google diaper rash, a lot of experts say that giving a child air time helps prevent diaper rash (I know a lot of the cd info on websites says this). Also, we found that being naked helps with potty learning so googling potty training will pop up some interesting stuff. Maybe the Dr Sears website has something?

My boys started out life in cloth diapers and I was using prefolds with a chronic piddler so he was naked a lot to dry out. Now it is a family habit (well, for them anyway and dh isn't that far behind) to be naked when we are home. I love how it teaches them that bodies are different but not to be ashamed of theirs. It has also enabled a lot of talks about what is appropriate touching (my boys are just turned 4 yo and almost 2. About 6 months ago they were playing a game where they were trying to bite each others' penis. First of all, they are weirdos but secondly, it sparked a discussion about penises being private and if you want to touch a penis, you need to touch your own and leave your brother's alone. Now they say that to me if I touch their penis so it is good. I don't worry much about them letting someone molest them, yk? In fact, I heard ds1 say "Penises are private!" to ds2 just yesterday )

Also, I was just thinking, that my children have very sensitive skin and things like tags or seams can really irritate their skin. The bottom line, however, is that this is a choice you have made for your family, a choice you are comfortable with, and your mother can accept it or not but she does need to stop saying bad things about it, especially in front of your dd. You definitely don't want her learning second hand that her body is something to be ashamed of or there is something wrong with her.

Maybe just sitting down with your mother and letting her tell you why she has a problem with it, accepting her view, hearing it. Then tell her your view. Then tell her it is okay to disagree but you don't want to talk about it after this point, and especially don't want her to say anything around your dd.
#7 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I get together frequently with two other families, 90% of the time, there is 5 naked children running around someone's yard. Ages range from 5 years to two, it's pretty cute.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 02:23 PM

my newly 2 yr old Isabella has been bear butt nekid since she started using the potty.
she never wears socks or shirts either.
just an au natural naked kiddo running around the house as ahappy as can be.

I've tried to inroduce the idea of panties a time or two.. but that just results in an ugly crying tantrum.

maybe if I can ever find those Nemo panties..... hmm.....

I dont; mind having a naked kid around the house, but if I could get her to wear panties then we could get rid of the diapers for trips to the store etc.
#9 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryknowlicious
maybe if I can ever find those Nemo panties..... hmm.....
I had a hard time finding Nemo panties for my dd too. I was able to find some at the Disney Store Outlet and my dh found some at ToyRUs. Which remindes me I need to stop and get some more

HTH
#10 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Fern loves being naked, and it resulted in effortless self potty training by 2. That might be a way to sell it, put out the potty explain to your dd what it is for and leave it around, and tell your mother you're potty training
But also you should tell your mother that the attitude she is presenting to your dd will result in your dd having issues of being ashamed of her own body which can lead to general self esteem issues.

eta: oops, just noticed in your sig that you are ECing, ahh well

nothing more to say I guess :
#11 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 03:05 PM

My ds is 2.5yo and LOVES to be "nudey" too. If anyone drops by unannounced, I always tell him it's his daily "airing out". But, in general, dh and I walk around nude pretty frequently, we really think it's important for ds to feel comfortable with his body!

Tood bad, he got outside nude the other day and the neighbor kids were out and the mama said "Owen where are your clothes?" She was nice about it - but I think she was a bit embarrassed because their entire extended family was enjoying a BBQ outside at the time.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#12 of 19 Old 04-19-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlady
I had a hard time finding Nemo panties for my dd too. I was able to find some at the Disney Store Outlet and my dh found some at ToyRUs. Which remindes me I need to stop and get some more

HTH
exactly... I went ot 3 disney stores & they only had them in a size 6.

everythign was "disney princess" in size 2 eeeehhhhhh.... I'm not too into them but i let Isabella make up her mind and she said "ick"

i'm going to look for them online.
she's very much a nemo/monsters/elmo/dump trucks & cars kinda girl
#13 of 19 Old 04-20-2006, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

I wish I could use potty learning as an excuse, but DD has been in panties for awhile now.
I have tried to explain to my Mother that the human body is a natural thing, not to be ashamed of, but she keeps telling me that she wasn't raised that way. Her Mother (after whom my DD is named) told her she must be covered all the time. She also says that my brother and I were never like DD.
I guess it's just a frame of mind, but I sure am trying to change it!

Thanks for the advice and the support Mamas, you're awesome!

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#14 of 19 Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 AM

Does your mother live with you? If not then it's none of her business!! If she does, tell her to look the other way if she's offended by a naked baby.

My 26 month old is naked almost all the time at home these days. She finds it much easier to go on the potty when she doesn't have to worry about taking off her undies and pulling up her shirt. When we go out I dress her.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#15 of 19 Old 04-20-2006, 01:43 AM

My 18 month old is a nudist. I haven't really complained,though,cause he's using the potty almost everytime he has to go as long as he doesn't have clothes on. Even a shirt will sometimes throw him off. He just really hates clothing. It's also funny,cause at the beach,as soon as he sees the water he keeps trying to pull his swim trunks down.
#16 of 19 Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
My 26 month old is naked almost all the time at home these days. She finds it much easier to go on the potty when she doesn't have to worry about taking off her undies and pulling up her shirt. When we go out I dress her.

Nitara sounds exactly like Fern

nothing more to say I guess :
#17 of 19 Old 04-20-2006, 12:11 PM

nak
my 22 month old has been naked since we brought home a potty chair 4 days ago.
she will only get dressed to go outside.
prior to this, we were putting her onsies on backward to keep her dressed.

you're an adult.
if you want to raise a nekkid child, that's up to you.
your own mother made her parenting decisions already.
she doesn't control yours (unless you allow it).

DS 6 DD 8
#18 of 19 Old 04-20-2006, 03:20 PM

I agree with everyone. Nude is normal, healthy and soooo much fun.

DH and I are nude or barely dressed most of the time at home. DS is, as well.

My mother thinks we're freaks, but says very little about it.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#19 of 19 Old 04-21-2006, 04:08 AM

Tell your mother that if DD is still stripping when she's going to college, then your mom can have a say. Until then, she can either think it's cute or not look and she certainly can't say anything!

Jenn (also mom of a 2yo nudist toddler girl!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page