no crawling or walking at 16 mos? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-24-2003, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think everything is fine and there is nothing to worry about but
a friend's baby is only butt scooting at 16 months. Her dr says he "likes to see them walking by now" which sounds ominous and they are talking about visiting a PT. What do y'all think? Cause for concern? She seem normal to me, but she is less developed than my dd who is only 2 weeks older.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#2 of 9 Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 PM

if she's scooting that seems fine...and early intervention evaluation can't hurt, they'll suggest some activities maybe. They'll probably say it's fine...
#3 of 9 Old 02-24-2003, 06:17 PM

Is there any other area that she is considered "behind" in? I have heard of babies that prefer the "scoot" method and go straight from that to walking. Is she one of those babies that has no reason to walk (always carried, everything of interest within easy reach, etc.). My oldest son started cruising at 9 months and didn't truly walk until 13 months. I think the layout of our living room enabled him to cruise so effectively he didn't feel the need to walk. If I was your friend I would have a very in depth conversation with my ped to see exactly what the concerns are and if I didn't feel comfortable with the answers I'd get a second opinion before seeing the PT. If they see a good PT there shouldn't be any harm in the visit because if everything else is OK they should be able to tell immediately and if intervention is needed it's better to start earlier than later.
#4 of 9 Old 02-24-2003, 06:21 PM

If she's 16 mos and not crawling, I would definately have early intervention take a look at her. The concerns about development can be very serious, as children who aren't able to experience certain kinds of stimulation (due to delays) can miss out on developing neurological connections that will serve them later.
#5 of 9 Old 02-24-2003, 06:26 PM

the state EI program would be free, and if there turned out to be a problem, it would get her on track for services later in school. they do home visits in many states. In case their insurance doesn't fully cover private PT. They do an eval of all her development, while PT would jsut be motor, as I understand EI.
#6 of 9 Old 02-25-2003, 02:01 AM

all i know is what i have seen in my familiy and among my friends children but not crawling or standing or trying to cruise at 16 months doesnt seem normal to me. but then i dont know what "normal" is or whats average... i believe all children do things in their own time but an evaluation wouldnt hurt.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#7 of 9 Old 02-26-2003, 02:15 PM

My nephew was a butt scooter who didn't walk until 18 months, never crawled at all. He now is 9 and has some motor and cognitive delays and one holistic practitioner told my sister-in-law that the two handed motion back and forth in crawling is a critical activity, and that not having had the experience may be part of his current problems. He is getting alot of pt and alternative therapies that have helped. he's a great, very bright kid who will do fine, but mys s-i-l really believes some of it is linked to the not crawling.
If it were a friend of mine I would support an evaluation.
#8 of 9 Old 02-26-2003, 11:47 PM

I have also read and heard a lot about babies not crawling. It is a cross-lateral movement and that same movement develops speech and reading skills. We do a lot of cross lateral exercises with my son. Touch his left foot to his right hand etc... There are some developmentally delayed people that never crawled but I don't think that that is true of every baby that doesn't crawl. I think that I would be starting to get a little concerned but then I am a bit paranoid....so I don't know!!!
#9 of 9 Old 02-27-2003, 01:17 AM

My oldest dd never walked until she was 18 months. She never crawled really either. Like, maybe twice. She went straight to walking and previously had been carried if she needed to go somewhere. But, I am also of the mind, "better safe, than sorry". It can't hurt to have a free evaluation just to put one's mind at ease.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page