Could this be a yeast infection in four year old boy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nephew was recently seen in the ER because his diaper rash got so bad. (He still wears pull-ups at night) It was so bad that the at first the doctor thought it was cigarette burns and then said that the rash was so bad that it was third degree burn?

How can a diaper rash get that bad? Could it be yeast? How would you treat that? Can that be caused by too much sugar?

Her doctor is useless and basically just said it's just a bad diaper rash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-24-2006, 06:21 AM

Yes, it could be a yeast infection. Kellymom.com has a page on thrush (yeast infection) and there are some links that include pictures: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

My son actually has a yeast diaper rash right now (I'm on my third round of antibiotics since giving birth to him 5 weeks ago and antibiotic use is a common cause of yeast infection). I went to the chemist and got an over-the-counter cream to put on it after every diaper change. I don't know what, if any, other measures would be taken for a severe rash like you're talking about. Perhaps an oral medication.

I don't know if sugar can cause a yeast infection (probably?) but I do know that if you have a yeast infection or are likely to get one (antiobiotic use), you should cut sugar out of your diet, as well as yeasty foods such as bread, beer & wine. You should also take probiotics.
#3 of 3 Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 AM

It sounds to me like he may have had a bm in his pullup that went undetected and unchanged for awhile. Did he have a recent bout with diarrhea? That will make for a painful diaper rash. Also, at four, his skin probably is not used to having poop next to it and it will be more sensitive than it would if he were younger and still in diapers all the time. And, a four year olds diet is so varied that many things could cause the poop to be a little rougher on the hiney. Even a lot of citrus in the diet could make the poop more likely to cause a rash.

Unless he has been on antibiotics recently, I would doubt it was yeast in a four year old boy. Even then, I would not think of that first. I would say that he needs to soak in a bath every night until it is gone and have some diaper rash cream put on his hiney every night before that pull up goes on to protect his skin.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page