present for 2yo when his baby brother is born? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone asked me if I'd thought about getting a gift for my son, for the day his baby brother comes. Although it seems like a good idea, I have no clue what to get him. Has anyone else heard or done this? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

I'm going to do this for my DS. I haven't got the present picked out yet, but I am thinking something very active that he can play with completely alone, hopefully for at least an hour or two at a time.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A lot of people get their toddler a baby doll so they can "nurse" their baby while you nurse yours. You could also get/make a sling and other accessories. It would be nice to get an anatomically correct doll. I know my ds found those more interesting than regular ones. Sometimes toddlers feel left out because everyone is oohing and ahing and bringing presents for the new baby. You could also get some special new books to read to him while you are nursing the baby, to help him feel included. Other ideas are something special that he can do with another adult, like his daddy, so as to give you a break. For my ds, that was a wooden train set. I tried to keep playing trains as daddy's job because my ds always wanted me to do everything with him and I needed him to occasionally interact with dh without me, even though I didn't have another baby.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 04-24-2006, 04:29 PM

My friend asked her dd what she wanted the baby to bring her...in this case it was a mylar balloon (one of the really shiny ones), a new dress for her doll, and a box of crayons "with more colors". The hospital also provided a t-shirt that said "I'm the big sister" (with her new sibling's footprints on the shirt...they stamped the shirt after stamping the birth form) and a picture book about being an older sibling.

It didn't solve all the problems but it did smooth over the first day or two and gave her something to play with at the hospital while other family members were more focused on the new baby.

It's something I plan on doing for my own dd when the time comes. I like the idea of a special "while mama is nursing" basket for the older babe.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 04-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

I read this idea somewhere for toddlers and new nurslings:

Have a basket with special toys that your other children can only play with when you are nursing. It helps them to be distracted from the fact you are "unavailable" and helps keep of the green eyed monster. Because the toys are restricted to nursing time, they stay new and interesting.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:43 AM

When dd2 was born, she gave dd1 a gift bag with a book about having a baby sister, some new crayons, a few coloring books, a puzzle and felt dress-up dolls (like paper dolls, but made out of felt). I spent no more than $20 and it was stuff that Hannah loved to do, would keep her occupied while I was tending to the new baby and she thought it was the coolest thing that Courtney got her a present!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
www.granolathreads.com has some cute "I'm the big brother" shirts as well as other stuff

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
Old 04-25-2006, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas, I was baffled.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:52 PM

My dd's really liked getting doll clothes that matched one of the newborn outfits dd4 had. MIL got them a few things that were "big girl" toys that they loved. Big sister shirts, of course! They loved wearing those when we went out with the baby because everyone always commented on the shirt and talked to *them*.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:50 PM

We bought a huge Tonka Dump Truck and used that as a present for the new big brother. It went over well and DS still talks lovingly about how his little brother gave him the truck.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 04-25-2006, 08:39 PM

I love the idea of having a nursing basket. Thanks for posting the question.h
Old 04-26-2006, 02:21 AM

Train table! This is what DD got for DS when she was born - it kept him occupied for weeks and was a huge help to me. I could sit and nurse on the couch and he was very content to play trains.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:18 PM

when a friend of mine has her 2nd (her boys are 14 months apart!) they got him an "I'm the big brother" shirt and his grandparents came down and spent the whole week with him!

when my hubby and i went to see the new baby (and drop off a frozen meal) we brought a little toy car from the "stork"....he loved it!! and loved that someone paid attention to him before the new baby
Old 04-27-2006, 10:18 PM

when a friend of mine has her 2nd (her boys are 14 months apart!) they got him an "I'm the big brother" shirt and his grandparents came down and spent the whole week with him!

when my hubby and i went to see the new baby (and drop off a frozen meal) we brought a little toy car from the "stork"....he loved it!! and loved that someone paid attention to him before the new baby

User Tag List