Mothering Forum banner

How long does it take for molars to come in?

18K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Henry's_Mamma 
#1 ·
I've done a search around here, but I haven't seen info on how long it takes for molars to come in all the way, once they start coming through. DD has been getting them for almost a month now. A bit of the top 2 have been poking through for ages, and the bottom 2 have been enormous, swollen masses for quite a while. They just won't come in!

Does it usually take so long for them to come in? She's in agony and can't sleep (Hylands doesn't help, neither does Tylenol). I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of how much longer we're in this for.

#2 ·
I'm wondering too. DS was born less than a week before your DD and we're in the same boat. He is constantly chomping and drooling and I know it's part of his whiney/clingy times that used to be so few and far between. I'm trying to be patient and compassionate toward him but it is HARD. I want to know how much longer for both of us!

#3 ·
My dd is just starting to get her 2 year molars now and all the other kiddies her age seem to already have them. It depends on how quickly they've grown their other teeth I think. My neighbor's kid pops her teeth through in a week, my dd takes weeks and weeks to get her teeth in. It's excrutiating.

#5 ·
Seemed like forever. Ds's molars were swollen for about 2 weeks before the top 2 poked through. Then the bottom 2 came through about 10 days later. They're still not all the way in, but at least the pain has stopped.

By the way, eyeteeth (which we're working on now) are WORSE than molars!!!

#9 ·
It really depends. DD got her front four teeth, top and bottom, with very little fuss, and within a week start to finish. Her first year molars, on the other hand, took 4-5 months and were very painful. We'd cycle on and off every week or two, it seemed -- they'd make a push up, then stop for a little bit, rinse and repeat. I know other kiddos her age though who showed no discomfort with their molars. So it really depends on the individual kiddo. . . .

#11 ·
I think every child (and sometimes every set of teeth) is different. All of my ds's front teeth (eye teeth forward) were horrid, as were his 2 year molars (but 1st year molars just sort of appeared). His top 2 year molars popped through in December and are still not all the way grown in, although they've finished pushing through the gums. So for us, that's about 5 months.

With his front teeth, the tooth would break the gum and then the gum would swell back over. This would repeat for weeks. It was awful.

If you aren't adverse to the idea, you might want to try some children's motrin as it has anti-inflammatory properties that Tylenol doesn't. Also, it lasts 6-8 hours. This was what finally helped my ds a little.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.