Bathtime? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd be interested in hearing what everybody does at their toddler's bathtime. Do they come in the tub with you or have their own bath? Any toys or games?
#2 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 10:27 PM

Until Djuna was about 15 months old (I think...) I went in the bath with her. Now she goes in the big tub by herself. I have a no-slip mat on the bottom of the tub.

As for toys - we have lots but usually I just give her a couple of little buckets or cups to play with and she has a blast. I also sometimes leave the faucet on - just a trickle of cold water - and she like to drink from it. We chat a lot while she's in the bath and sing silly songs.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 10:34 PM

Although my 15 mo old LOVES to swim he freaks out if I put him in a bathtub that has water in it. He showers with us most of the time. When daddy gets home from work the first thing he does is take a shower and ds follows him into the bathroom screeching joyfully. If I don't disrobe him while he's on the run he'll go into the shower fully clothed (thanks, husband, for the help).
On the occasion where we are all showered or just don't want to shower and ds needs to be cleaned. I will put him in the tub with the hand shower thing on, but no water in the tub. If it fills slowly he's cool. I give him a couple of his toys and a bowl and he'll play for as long as I'll let him.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#4 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 11:01 PM

Most of the time my 16 month old takes a bath by herself, and sometimes if I need to save time, we will shower together. She has a little basket of bath toys and she picks out a few to throw in the tub with her. She loves being in the water and would stay in the bath for hours if I let her!

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#5 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 11:07 PM

I have always given my babies, toddlers etc. baths on their own. I think I took 1 bath with my baby. But with all the other children, the girls would all take a bath together and the boys would but neither my hubby or I ever did.
I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that they started out as foster children and it just wasn't acceptable.
#6 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 11:17 PM

I read while T bathes..

Usually, my older son bathes with the younger, cause T loves taking "bafes" with this "bro-bro".
#7 of 17 Old 05-07-2006, 11:54 PM

My son would stay in the tub if I let him. We are down to 2 baths a day. he likes to have bubbles and has a little people boat he plays with. Sometimes I bathe with him and sometimes I just read or play little people. He likes to shower with dh whenever he showers.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#8 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 12:04 AM

My son bathes by himself (with me sitting on the toilet seat of course), and he used to be a bath fanatic-- recently he's been taking shorter and shorter baths. He just tells me "all done!" and so long as I washed him already, he's done.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#9 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 AM

If we're pressed for time, he comes in the bath with me and it's a quickie. If we have time, he takes one by himself and plays with his boat, fish, a cup, a washcloth...and then tosses it all out so he can spread out and SWIM!
#10 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 10:51 AM

DD has always bathed alone except on a few occasions...Now I just plop her in with her body wash as bubbles let it fill to about her tummy. She has lots of bath toys that my mom bought her so she picks from her drawer. I sit on the toliet and read or figure out my checkbook lol.
#11 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 11:00 AM

Gabriel's a year, and I bathe with him. He plays with a couple of rubber ducks and some cups and various sundries, depending on day. Mostly, I sit in the bathtub with him to save my back leaning over the edge. He hates having his hair washed, but otherwise he's cool with baths.

I'd try showering with him for time-saving purposes, but a.) he's VERY wiggly and b.) the temperature can't be trusted. It surges and flows between cold and VERY hot--he'd be likely to get scalded.
#12 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 12:17 PM

At 33 months, Julian LOVES to get in the bath. I sometimes let him take a bath in the middle of the day, if it's one of those times when he needs to be entertained and I need him to be contained. He plays by himself, and I multi-task -- I knit or wind yarn, clean the bathroom, nurse the baby, read, etc. He's really into pouring these days, so I can give him a couple of different containers (big yogurt container, squeeze bottle, a handled jug that honey came in, water bottle, etc) and let him go to town.

I've never brought him into my bath with me, mostly b/c I like my baths hot, hot, HOT. Once I tried to bring him into the shower, but that went over like a lead balloon, so to speak. Oftentimes DP gives him his bath, while I nurse the baby or fold laundry or both and he is a much more active bath-giver -- does little games and makes the rubber duckies talk to DS and swims things through the water and has boat races.

Totally OT: Pianojazzgirl, is your daughter named after Djuna Barnes? I did part of my master's thesis on her. Anyway, great name!
#13 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 02:08 PM

FOr the first year Anne took a bath in our kitchen sink. It was an easy height for me and she was happy in the small space. I had tried the big tub before that and she cried a lot. Probably scared of it.

Now, 18 mos, she bathes in big tub, sometime her brother jumps in with her.

We have lots of those rubber ducks, a few cups (she LOVES pouring water) and one washcloth puppet that gets no attention!

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#14 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 02:22 PM

DS loves taking a bath. But he prefers to bathe alone. We put all of his favorite toys in the tub so he can play.

He hates to get out!
#15 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
Totally OT: Pianojazzgirl, is your daughter named after Djuna Barnes? I did part of my master's thesis on her. Anyway, great name!
Yes she is named after Djuna Barnes.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#16 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 03:31 PM

Julia mostly takes a bath after dinner, and it's DH that sits with her. She goes in the big tub, with water up to about her belly button, and has a ton of toys-- mostly cups and bowls. She only actually gets a wash with soap about once a week, unless she's really dirty, since her skin tends to be so dry. But we can't skip bathtime-- she LOVES it.

Sometimes she also comes into the tub with me in the morning, just to play. She loves playing with water so much that she'd take 20 baths a day if I let her.

Before she could sit up alone, I used to just bring her in the tub with me and wash her, and then set her on a towel on the floor while I washed myself and got out of the tub. She was afraid if being in an infant tub, and used to scream, but she didn't mind the water if I was in there with her.

Once she could sit well she graduated to an inflatable baby tub inside the big tub which she used until she was too tall for it and then we moved to the big tub.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#17 of 17 Old 05-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Usually I get into the tub w/him. Our tub has sliding doors (not by choice; that's how it was when we moved in) and the track for them is uncomfortable to lean on, and I don't like getting wet as I try to wash him if I'm dressed, and it saves time.

He has 2 rubber ducks that fascinate him so much that he doesn't need any other toys.

Unfortunately, in the past month or so he suddenly doesn't like to sit down in the tub, doesn't care for being washed, and is VERY upset about hair-washing. He has excellent balance, so I'm not too concerned about slipping from standing, but I'd like to be able to wash his hair without worrying that the neighbors will call the police because it sounds like we're killing him! Now that summer is coming and he's discovered the dirt-pile up the street, we'll try to bathe every night and see if that helps him get used to the idea....

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page