toddlers and napping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-03-2003, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sam is growing out of naps, I think. My 6 y/o grew out of them at 18 months. So, at 2 1/2, this seems late. But, with my older one, there was no transition. Boom, no naps. But, Sam seems to need a nap but at 5 pm. However, this causes her to be up until 10 or 12. They are usually regularly in bed by 8 at the latest, 7 is best. But, if she skips a nap, her night sleep is worse than usual. (She wakes nightly anyway but more without nap.) Anyone have any ideas on encouraging earlier napping. I have tried many times to put her down at 11 to 2, sometimes spending an hour rocking or nursing her. These session usually only recharge her for a short time. By late in the day she is cranky, asking for a nap. If I keep her awake for a couple of weeks straight, will the nighttime woes settle down?

TIA.
#2 of 12 Old 03-03-2003, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 3 and I lay down with her and bf her for a little...I put on soft music and if she doesn't fall asleep in like 20 or 30 minutes I rub her back a little and if she still doesn't fall asleep I just leave her alone.
#3 of 12 Old 03-03-2003, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
not much help here, i'm afraid, we just stay up til 10 or 12! only have one kiddo, though. i hope you'll find something that works for you all.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#4 of 12 Old 03-04-2003, 05:28 PM

Can you wait until 2 or 3 to start the nap ritual? My ds is only 20 months so it's probably a different story, but I always tell him a bit early that the nap is coming and he needs to decide how he wants to take it (nursing or sling or walking). Sometimes we have to try a few different things but it's rare that he misses. But he's always been a sleepy baby. Having a regular rhythm works for us. Would a car ride work?

Angie, Mama to Finn (6/01) and Theo (4/05)
#5 of 12 Old 03-04-2003, 07:11 PM

I am having similar problems with ds 26 months. It drives me crazy. He goes through cycles where no 2 days are the same. Some days no nap and I manage to keep him awake until 7 at which point he crashes and sleeps poorly and gets up early. Other days he skips the nap and I cannot keep him awake and he naps at 4 or 5- then I wake him after 30 or 60 minutes which is very hard on us both but better than staying up until 10+ and being tired the next day. Other days I struggle for an hour to get a nap in at 1 or 2. And my favorite days? He falls asleep in 5 minutes-usually this is after a no nap day because he is behind in sleep. The only way to guarantee a nap is physical exercise in the morning- errands and just going to the playground or to a friend's house do not count. Unfortunately, he is going through a cling phase where he wants me to carry him and rarely gets the running/walking exercise he needs to be physically tired. I think for both of us that eliminating naps altogether would result in an acceptable rhythm within a few weeks- I had to eliminate the late PM nap when he went from 2 naps to 1 at 11 months. I just am not ready yet. Let me know if it works for you.
#6 of 12 Old 03-04-2003, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had a nap ritual. But when she started skipping naps, this all changed. The ritual does nothing. My oldest quit napping long before now. Plus, I was not 6 years behind on sleep. Waking her is not a preferable option. Both my girls are/were cranky bigtime when waking from a long sleep, much less a short nap. Luckily they seem to grow out of this. My oldest now wakes happily on her own scheduled. Usually after 11 to 12 hours of sleep. So, there is light at the end of this proverbial tunnel. But right now, I feel like I am at my wit's end. Today she got a brief nap at 1 in the car. But at today's gas prices, I can't go for a 1/2 hour drive every day.

Keep the suggestions coming. With spring, this may get easier. We have had the coldest, yuckiest winter in years. So, we have not been outside much. I am a firm believer that fresh air and sunshine help you sleep better than anything.
#7 of 12 Old 03-04-2003, 08:46 PM

My dd still takes a 2 hour nap, usually in the afternoon. She is 20 mo old.
#8 of 12 Old 03-04-2003, 11:05 PM

Michelle
just want you to know you are not alone.
My ds is not napping as well and is 33 months, but is out by 7:30 and sleeps horribly from the hours of 4-6 am and then is up and at 'em at 7am.
Making me reaaaalllly tired...we are in the same boat as you with this blasted weather....cannot wait for the chance like we had today to get out and run!
Hang in there....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#9 of 12 Old 03-05-2003, 05:21 PM

My dd, (almost 33 mo) went through about a month recently where she wouldn't nap and she'd go to bed at 7-8. Now she's back to napping (I didn't force it I just told her she had to "rest" and if she didn't fall asleep that was fine, but I needed her to play quietly for an hour--set a timer). When she naps it's usually to bed at 9 or 10 (or 10:45 last night, but we were watching snowplows!). And she's usually up around 7. I keep expecting the nap to go away, but count my blessings each day it occurs. When she doesn' t nap she is a bear from about 4-7 and yes, we, too have to use videos to tame the savage two year old!!
#10 of 12 Old 03-05-2003, 06:41 PM

My youngest daughter gave up her naps around 4 months ago, at age 18 months. I couldn't get her to fall asleep at her normal nap time (1 pm)...I'd finally get her to sleep at 4, only to then have her up until 10 pm that night.

This is the same thing dd1 did when she was giving up naps, so I just took it as a sign that dd2 didnt' really need the naps anymore.

She was definitely cranky in the early evening at first...and she started going to bed at 7 (she was always after 8 pm previously). I found that if she really needed a sleep around 4, I could usually sit down and nurse her in the living room. She'd fall asleep, and I'd let her...for about 5 minutes.

Then I'd unlatch her and just hold her for a bit...dd1 was always around, and usually her noise would wake dd2 up. That little 5 minute nap was often enough to recharge her batteries for the last few hours, without making it impossible for her to fall asleep at night.

Now, she never seems to need that - she stays up all day without any problem, and is rarely fussy in the evening (unless I'm late with dinner!). :
#11 of 12 Old 03-05-2003, 11:38 PM

My 18 month old has recently gone from two predictable one hour naps each day to anything goes!! Some days she will nap from 11a.m.-1p.m., others 10a.m.-11a.m., sometimes 3p.m.-5p.m. or none at all. Our daily routine has been fairly consistent, so I think she is just going through a transition and perhaps does not need the same amount of sleep each day. Oddly enough, no matter what time she naps, she goes to bed between 8:00-8:30p.m. and wakes up between 6:30-7:00a.m.

Amy, mom to Tsuneo, 09/12/01
#12 of 12 Old 03-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Banned

Kailey seems to be growing out of them too. Which is sad, because I still need a nap

She is really sporatic about them now. Sometimes napping at 2 sometimes not until 5 or 6 pm. Sometimes not at all, ,and never for more than an hour.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page