Happy Second Birthday! *~June 04 Kids & Mammas~* - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 273 Old 06-19-2006, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Happy Birthday, Nadia!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#122 of 273 Old 06-19-2006, 07:24 PM

Happy Birthday Lily!
#123 of 273 Old 06-19-2006, 07:25 PM

Belated Happy Birthday Zach and Happy Birthday Nadia!
#124 of 273 Old 06-19-2006, 11:52 PM

Happy Birthday, Nadia and Lily!
#125 of 273 Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the birthday wishes mamas!!

We've had an busy couple of days. Sunday we had a BIG party for father's day and Lil's b-day. It was mainly just family but between both of our families that's like 40 people! I totally freaked two days before the party and moved it to a state park, which was great! I think I might make that an annual tradition!

Last night we went out to Friendly's for a birthday dinner. It was fun but the food was pretty Oh well....at least the ice cream was !!

So....ready or not....we're potty learning!

I've been reluctant to start this while caring for a newborn but Lil pretty much let me know that she's doing it with or without me. So yesterday we were nakey and running around the house. Most pees are on the floor but we've hit the potty a few times! I feel really tempted to do stickers or some other kind of "reward" when she actually pees in the potty but so many MDC mamas are down on rewards....any thoughts???

My SIL said to be low-key and let her pee around the house (hardwood floors thank God) for a couple of days and then start steering her towards the potty. I guess basically we're un-diaper-training right now, huh?
#126 of 273 Old 06-20-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, around here rewards consist of a "Yay, BooBah! You rock!" I just didn't want to be stuck "needing" to give her something when I wouldn't necessarily have it around the house, you know? I mean, what do you give the kid when you run out of stickers/candy/whatever and don't have any more cash until the next paycheck? It's all good, though; BeanBean totally cheers her on, and a call to daddy in the middle of the day is a special treat.

#127 of 273 Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 PM

Man, I just suck. I was so moved that so many of you remmebered Killy's birthday and vowed to myself that I'd wish everyone else's 2-year-olds happy birthday, and I have done a single one. Sorry! I have been thinking of all of you a lot, and sending loving happy birthday thoughts!

Well, I'm trying to get Killy interested in the potty a little, I let him run around naked for awhile in the backyard, then put him in a cloth diaper when we came in (no cover) so I'd know when he was wet - and he immediately had a giant gross poopy! It figures the first cloth I put him in in a year had a laxative effect! I think I'm going to buy some of the gerber waterproof trainers and keep him in those at home, so he starts feeling it again when he's wet.

Not much else to report, except that Ellie's now crawling and got her first tooth today. I can't believe she's growing up so quickly!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#128 of 273 Old 06-20-2006, 11:27 PM

Now that the weather is so nice, I've hardly had anytime to be online. Miss Nadia--the woman who hates baths has turned into a fish in her baby pool outside. Hayden even likes it! Well did until he decided to be a big boy and try to stand up and fell out onto the cement. His poor nose is skinned up but his daddy told him that "chicks dig scars."

Nadia's 2nd birthday was very low key. We'd had a party while home in Indiana in May. She got to swim all day long and she had ice cream for only the 2nd time. She's just not a fan of it but she sure can make a mess.

The rest of our summer is looking to be uneventful. We're planning out what we would like to do while still living near Chicago before we move next spring to Italy. It just seems like yesterday that we moved here and now time is almost up and we haven't even been to the museums.

Tonight, I caught our kitchen stove on fire. My lovely dh cracked our casserole dish last night while cooking and didn't clean up the mess that fell to the bottom. I turned on the stove to heat it up before putting in pot pies. Both kids were in high chairs eating their supper and I'd walked outside to empty out Nadia's pool. I turned around because I heard the smoke alarm beeping and there was smoke rolling out of the oven. One dog jumped in the toy box and the other went into the playhouse. It was really funny now that I look back on it but man, I was so scared.

I hope this finds everyone well and your June baby has a good birthday
#129 of 273 Old 06-21-2006, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

BooBah had some diarrhea early this week; she had a lot of dairy at her grandparents' house and at the festival that we went to on Saturday (it would have been really, really cruel to deny her that bit of fresh, home-made ice cream ). We put her in pull-ups for that, because...well, ick. Big girl that she is, she actually got several bms in the toilet, but the yickiness of her misses was more than enough. I spent a fair bit of time yesterday just standing around the bathroom, talking to her while she sat on the toilet for half an hour at a time. Every time she stood up, she'd start crying-- "I hafta poop in da toy-wet!" and the poor kid really did.

I love those gerber training pants. BeanBean had a bunch of them, and they are now BooBah's. She doesn't seem to care that they all have cars on them. She also really likes the "gray tops" (Hanes tighty whities) which BeanBean has outgrown, and prefers them to the cute, girly panties which my mother bought for her. Oh, and the regular training pants, the ones that are just a little thicker in the middle? She *loves* those, and they fit her better than they ever fit her brother (he never had much of a booty). : Wearing underpants is a big motivator for BooBah. She wants to be just like Mamma and Daddy and BeanBean.

#130 of 273 Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 PM

Poor BooBah! I hope she is feeling better.

We had a two-hour bedtime battle yesterday after being on this good kick for about a week. So depressing to have a set back but I think overall we are seeing improvement. Rynna it really helped me to hear that BooBah naps around 11, I have been working on getting R's nap earlier and that really seems to help.

QoC, wow it feels like Ellie was just born and here she is going like crazy. I love the pictures of your kids in the carriers. How does Killy like it these days? R resists getting in but then sometimes seems to really enjoy it. I hate putting her in when she asks to walk but I'm beginning to see that sometimes she wants to do more than she is actually capable of (like wants to walk even when she is very tired.)

I may try those gerber pants. I looked at them in the store but wasn't sure how they felt on, they looked a little rubbery. The WAHM ones are so expensive though for something I hope doesn't get that much use. I wish R was more interested in the potty.

Erin, how are things with you? Any new pics?

Liz, how's the move prep going? Do you have a date yet?

Hi to everyone else!
#131 of 273 Old 06-21-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1
I may try those gerber pants. I looked at them in the store but wasn't sure how they felt on, they looked a little rubbery. The WAHM ones are so expensive though for something I hope doesn't get that much use. I wish R was more interested in the potty.
BeanBean hated them; BooBah can't get enough. I think that as long as she's the one making the decision, anything will do if it fits her.

They're so cheap, though, that you don't need to feel badly about it either way.

Did I mention here that I found a place to get slim jeans for little boys? I'm so freaking happy!

#132 of 273 Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 PM

Where'd you find the slim jeans? We are having lots of trouble finding clothes that are long enough for R...
#133 of 273 Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

It was a Mennonite store out in the county. Apparently Mennonites don't expect their kids to be chunky (which makes sense, because those kids *work*), so they carry regulars and slims. It's a lot harder to find huskies there than it is to find slims. Fantastic! I didn't see little girls' jeans at all, though, just boys. I mean, it's not like jeans are so different when you're talking about little kids anyway, but if you're looking for cute things with flared legs, you're not likely to find them at Weaver's.

#134 of 273 Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 AM

Kids are a lot heavier nowdays. A couple weeks ago, DH was changing Killy's diaper and said, "Do you think he looks too skinny? I think he looks pretty thin." And I told him that Killy is 70th percentile for weight (granted, he is 90th for height), so he's not underweight by any stretch - its just that there's a lot of overweight toddlers. So, even my big boy is thinner than a lot of kids on the playground. I think you can tell by looking at him that's he's not overweight or underweight...

Okay, those gerber training pants with the waterproof outer layer are getting really hard to find! So far I've tried looking at 2 Walmarts, a Target, and a Toys R Us. Ugh! I still need to try the Super Target and Babies R Us. Unfortunently, I think Killy might not be ready for them. I put him in a pair of cloth training pants and he peed and it went everywhere, and he just seemed clueless! I think we'll be doing naked time a lot this summer to get him to start noticing when he pees. And, I'm thinking of going back to cloth diapering, but I just don't know. Since the washer/dryer are in the basement and Killy can't be trusted alone with Ellie, I'd have to do all the laundry after the kids go to bed, and that's my only alone time all day. I don't know if I can give that up (for dirty diapers, no less!) and still be sane.

#135 of 273 Old 06-23-2006, 10:10 AM

My mom used to buy me boy's jeans when I was a kid. I had the skinniest butt. Not now! In fact yesterday I was in Target trying on every single pair of shorts/pants they carried trying to find something I liked. All the jr's stuff is so low rise it is obscene on someone with my butt, yet if I pulled a top over the waist so my underwear didn't show, they looked really good. The stuff in the misses section looked so dowdy. Sigh. All my pants are falling down, I desperately need something new but I do not want to spend much money.
#136 of 273 Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM

That's my issue, too! I feel too young to wear most of the stuff from the "grownup" sections of stores, but too old to have my thong showing 24-7 because of obscene low rise from the Jr's section. (Plus, that crepe-paper like skin on my lower abs is pretty darn gross and I don't think ANYONE wants to see it!)

#137 of 273 Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
That's my issue, too! I feel too young to wear most of the stuff from the "grownup" sections of stores, but too old to have my thong showing 24-7 because of obscene low rise from the Jr's section. (Plus, that crepe-paper like skin on my lower abs is pretty darn gross and I don't think ANYONE wants to see it!)
My whole life, I've been wondering why petite clothes have a 26" inseam while juniors have a 32". Petite clothing all looks like it's for grandmothers, I've never seen *anything* in that department that even looks appropriate on someone who's under 50. Now, they're selling petites in Juniors, but my hips have always been too big for those to look right. I can find low rise jeans in misses sizes (Old Navy) and those fit me very well, but I'm not about to shell out cash for new clothing when we don't have hot water.

#138 of 273 Old 06-24-2006, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

: Happy Birthday, BooBah! :

#139 of 273 Old 06-24-2006, 09:29 PM

:Boobah
Rynna- She looks like such a big kid!!!

Tomorrow is the benefit for my neighbors son that I have been organizing. I hope we got lots and lots of people!! Wish me luck!!
#140 of 273 Old 06-24-2006, 11:28 PM

: Happy Birthday BooBah!

Hope it was a good one!
#141 of 273 Old 06-25-2006, 12:41 AM

Happy Birthday, BooBah! Rynna, she's absolutely adorable!
#142 of 273 Old 06-25-2006, 12:48 AM

: Happy Birthday!!:
#143 of 273 Old 06-25-2006, 01:32 AM

awwwww! She's beautiful!

I looked at Bella's pics, too - she's getting so big!

#144 of 273 Old 06-25-2006, 09:38 AM

happy birthday boobah!! : OMG - your kids are gorgeous rynna!!!

good luck sandi!
#145 of 273 Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Hi Everyone!

We're on page FOUR. Guess everyone is chasing those wild two-year-olds!
#146 of 273 Old 06-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Its been quiet around here! I guess these wild 2 year olds are keeping everyone busy!

Rynna - how did BooBah's evaluation go? What about Bella's eye appointment?

Killy's been such a chatterbox! DH didn't understand it fully until he drove him somewhere yesterday... when he got home he said, "Good grief he talks all the time!" No kidding! We have to say hi and bye to every train, tractor, and truck we see. We have to talk bout all the playgrounds, pools, dogs, bicycles, and motorcycles. He constantly asks for Propel, cherrios, and "baby eggs" (tictacs). I'm so glad he's talking, now I'm just looking forward to when we can someday have a conversation that doesn't involved saying "choo-choo-train!" every 10 seconds! He had speech therapy yesterday and his therapist was soooo impressed. When she pulled up, he was at the door shouting "Hi, Tanya!!!" over and over again until she came in. He has all of the sounds expected for 24-27 month olds already, so he seems to be totally caught up. We're just working on a few little verbal habits he has (he still occasionally will replace the second syllable in words with a nonsense sound she calls a "laterized" tongue sound).

Ellie's doing great... I wrote a cute blog entry about her with lots of pictures yesterday. I can't believe how fast she's growing up!

#147 of 273 Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 PM

Ha! After several days of no messages, we both posted at the same time!

#148 of 273 Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

BooBah's interview was fascinating. The coordinator didn't think that I was crazy, because of the kidneys, but she was startled by BooBah's speech and said she couldn't wait to see her evaluation. She gave me lots of things to read over, and that same day I got a big envelope from CONNECT (the folks you actually talk to when you're looking for Early Intervention. I read all of it, and felt rather silly because the things that I'm worried about with BooBah are listed as things to be concerned about... with children five years old and up. BooBah's going to have an audiological evaluation before her full EI eval, because she has to be at least -1.65 sd from average and from what I've read, she's nowhere near there in any of the five areas of development that they examine. I did explain, though, that I was only familiar with extremes of development, so I have a harder time gaguing "average;" I've seen, up close and personal, two year olds who spoke like people and two year olds who were completely nonverbal, but very few in between.

Bella sees the opthamologist tomorrow. They're not going to tell me that I'm crazy, though; Bella is decidedly cross-eyed (you can see it pretty easily even in pictures, and it's more pronounced irl). They might think I'm a little odd for making a fuss about this so early on, but she's three months old and quite honestly I've been concerned about this from the very first time that I saw her.

#149 of 273 Old 07-01-2006, 11:52 AM

Lil slept at my parents' last night and Quinn is napping so I actually have time and two hands to say hello to you all!!

Queenie! I can't believe Ellie is such a big girl already! Love the one of her brushing her teeth with Killy!

Liz ~ Where are you in the moving process??

How's Bella's apt go Rynna?

Quote:
Killy's been such a chatterbox! DH didn't understand it fully until he drove him somewhere yesterday... when he got home he said, "Good grief he talks all the time!" No kidding! We have to say hi and bye to every train, tractor, and truck we see. We have to talk bout all the playgrounds, pools, dogs, bicycles, and motorcycles.
Oh yeah. I have to remind my DH to slow down when he's driving. The other day he blew right past a farm with horses up close to the road. I made him turn around and go back so Lily could see the horses and talk to them. It only takes a second and it makes her SO happy!

Lily's also VERY obsessed with names. Every time we pass someone walking a dog she says "What's the doggie's name, mama?" Sometimes I make up names because she seems so dissatisfied with me saying "I don't know" all the time.

I also have to ask random people in stores, the person who pumps our gas, cashiers, baggers etc. what their names are. And the crazy thing is that she remembers them and will talk about "Billy, the very nice man who pumps our gas" for days. Oh and any time the phone rings...after I hang up she'll say. "That was..." and wait for me to tell her. So cute!

Her language continues to explode. Yesterday I was upstairs getting dressed and she was outside on our front deck (gated). She yelled..."Mama I need help. I'm a little bit caught in the chair on the porch." I was like wow! That is SO cool. Her language is so precise that I knew exactly what she needed from upstairs where I couldn't even see her. Neat.

I gave up on potty learning for a bit. We're still doing some outside nakey time in the morning and we've caught a few pees...and even one poo...but neither of us is ready to really do full on potty training right now.

Quinn is doing great! 8 weeks on Monday - already 13 pounds!! And he's a sleeper!! Does 4 hour stretches at night. Oh and we did buy a king size mattress. DH haggled us a great deal and picked up in our truck so it didn't break the bank too badly. Amazing. We are all sleeping SO much better now that we're not on top of each other.

That's about it here.

Are you guys doing fireworks? We're going to try. We were invited to our friends beach house for a potluck picnic and we can stay for fireworks but they won't start until probably like 9:30 so I just don't know if Lily can last that long.
#150 of 273 Old 07-02-2006, 10:03 PM

I got an invite to a supercool fireworks party through work (from the roof of a building downtown of the big ones) but traffic will be terrible coming back so I think we'll just walk out to the park near my house to watch them instead.

Mamas, there are times when I really want to wean. I still think it is the wrong choice at this time. DH is pitching in in different ways instead. He's now put R to bed twice all by himself and you can laugh at how little that is but it is a huge step for us. I am relieved by it and the fact that DD is separating from me in a normal, healthy way but part of me is really sad about it too. Not sad, maybe bittersweet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page