Julian (Doodlebugsmom); 16 June
Charlie (BabyBumblebee); 16 June
Zach (boatbaby); 18 June
Lily (dharmama); 19 June
Nadia (heatherbell); 19 June
BooBah (eilonwy); 24 June
Rowan (mattjule); 26 June
Michael (bandana); 29 June

Let me know if you want anything added/changed.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#2 of 273 Old 05-25-2006, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Birthday Killy!!!

My best friend had her baby this afternoon, on her birthday! She had a little girl!!! I'm so excited for her!!
#3 of 273 Old 05-25-2006, 10:03 PM

Nadia was born on 19June
#4 of 273 Old 05-25-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sandi, that's very cool.

#5 of 273 Old 05-25-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Sandi, that's very cool.
She's breastfeeding and she can't wait to use her sling and she has a co-sleeper but no crib!! They named her Nadia too! I wish sthey were closer 'cause I really want to meet her.
#6 of 273 Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Last year for the birthday thread, we did updates; anyone want to do that this time around?

#7 of 273 Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 AM

Rossignel was born June 5. I love the idea of updates.

QoC, hope your sister is recovering. Prayers winging your way.

Sandi, a pal of mine had a baby today too. Isn't it just this little piece of magic every single time?
#8 of 273 Old 05-26-2006, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Edited.

#9 of 273 Old 05-26-2006, 04:01 PM

Thanks Rynna! And thanks for doing the list. It is so cool to see the birthdays all in one place.

[whine]
I feel very drained lately and like I am not hitting on all cylinders. I do not know how you mamas with more than one kid manage 'cause it feels like R takes every little last bit of me. Does anyone else feel like you are always just two steps behind caught up, at best, and left waaaay back most of the time?
[/whine]

We are finally seeing some interest in the potty again. R is willing to sit on it and will ask to have her diaper changed if she is poopy and sometimes when she is wet. She has been very resistant to the potty since she started walking last summer (was it only last summer? It seems like it should have been at least five years ago!) I think brazelton says something about a period of intense negativism and how that is not the time to PT--well that has been R. So this is major progress...
#10 of 273 Old 05-27-2006, 01:33 AM

Glad to see the new thread! Happy birthdays all around!

Just subbing as I have nothing of interest to say beyond that-which-is-my-life now, trying to contract on the new house while fixing up and selling the old house and selling my property in Coatesville. We are all tired and drained but most of the interior of the house is painted, dh has done the frameless shower door and put in recessed kitchen lights, and tomorrow there's more and more and more....BUT we have listed the house, just haven't listed pictures yet. At least it's officially on the market, though! Now we just have to hope for a quick sale. School's out down here so people should be looking and ready to move. We made an offer on the new house, she counter-offered, and we just made a new offer, hoping to edge her down a wee bit more. And I am trying to decipher the tuition forms for dd. That seems more overwhelming than everything else.

In Rowan news I notice another sudden burst of vocabulary expansion all of a sudden. He's still watching way too much tv while we paint the house. And sure wants to nurse a whole lot more than I am interested in nursing him.
#11 of 273 Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

my ils are moving from caotesville today; mike is down there with beanbean being a big strong manly man. boobah is staying with my sister, her cousins, and skinnypunk's little man (who is one month older than bella, about 4 inches longer, and *maybe* 4 oz heavier, tops). that's right-- bella and i are home in peace and quiet! i watched csi dvds until an obscene hour last night (i can't watch those with bean around) and had a jamocha shake for dinner (naughty me!). bella's been a muffin, but she seems to miss her siblings; she's never experienced so much quiet in her life.

#12 of 273 Old 05-27-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
but she seems to miss her siblings; she's never experienced so much quiet in her life.
Lily is the same way. At first she seems to like the fact that they are gone but then she realizes that she is stuck w/ boring old mom and wants some excitment!
#13 of 273 Old 05-27-2006, 11:10 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers for my sister. She's done amazingly well! She's had very little pain from her leg (though it is HORRIBLY bruised and has 26 stiches in it). She's applying for jobs at library branches closer to our house, too, so it won't be such a pain for me to drive her for the next six months. (She can't drive for 6 months after a seizure.) I can't believe she had a seizure while driving on the interstate at 65 miles an hour and lived to tell about it.

Thanks for the happy birthday wishes for Killy! He had a fabulous birthday yesterday. We had two friends over and the in-laws were here, so it was a nice small group. Five kids in all, and seven adults. I baked and decorated a train cake, which turned out okay. I think it would have been better if I hadn't done it at 2am, but I realized the night before that there was no way I'd get a couple hours uninterupted to decorate on his actual birthday.

The in-laws visit went pretty well, except that we were all sick at some point with the stomach flu and my sister was in a car wreck. It was a real blessing to have other adults around during that. Poor DH is sooooo behind on work now, though. And we're leaving for a weeklong vacation on 6/3!

Of course I took TONS of pictures and even took Killy to Walmart for portraits (that actually turned out beautiful!), but Photogrove (our website) has had some big issues so I can't add anything to it until DH finishes fixing it. But, I'll post links then...

Updates:

at Birth:
7 lbs 11 oz
19.5 inches

at one year:
23 lbs 8 oz
31 inches
-he was walking and had a handful of words

at two years:
30 lbs
36.5 inches
-he's running, jumping, climbing and suddenly has a big vocabulary and is talking in 2-3 word sentances.

PS - Our big verbal step of the week - Killy called me a "mean mama" when I buckled him into the carseat the other day and last night told DH he was a "mean daddy" when we made Killy get out of the bath because he drank bathwater.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#14 of 273 Old 05-27-2006, 12:00 PM

subbing and wanted to share quinn's birth story in case anyone wants to read it (the photos are at the end if you want to skip all my and just see the little man)!
#15 of 273 Old 05-27-2006, 12:22 PM

beautiful, Erin!!!!!

#16 of 273 Old 05-27-2006, 01:11 PM

Zach is June 18 (Father's Day!)
We just got back from a trip on a pirate boat and we're all pooped!
I am overwhelmed by the thought of the upcoming birthday party. Even though it will be a small-sih group, I am horrible at cooking and I am worried I'll poison everyone.

The great part is Zach's best friend's daddy is a PASTRY CHEF and has offered to do the cake
A great friend to have -- also a horrible one since he often shows up for playdates with "a cheesecake I just whipped up" or "some eclairs I want you to taste" -- ugh 10 pounds later...

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#17 of 273 Old 05-27-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Erin,he's a sweetie.

BooBah's updates:

birth:
6 lbs 13 oz, 19"

1 year:
18 lbs, 27.75"
walked, climbed *everything*, was delicious.

2 years:
~23 lbs, 32"
Talks like a small child, only without proper "r" or "l" sounds-- everything is a "w." "I wove you, Bewwa!"
Wants to do everything "by mysewf!!"
Just recently got her four canines; no sign of the second molars.
Runs and climbs like a thing possessed; BooBah is quite the daredevil and has no fear.
Is a very loving older sister, but a bit too enthusiastic with the loveloves still.
Doesn't nurse at all, and hasn't for what feels like an age. :
Sleeps in the family bed, sucks her thumb like crazy and will not give it up, and in other ways seems very "2." She's a muffin!

#18 of 273 Old 05-28-2006, 01:11 PM

Anyone else thinking of weaning? I had to kind of encourage dd to nurse anytime after 18 months, so this constant demanding of "moomoo" is getting to be a bit much. He even still wants to nurse in restaurants! And since he screams when he doesn't get what he wants (he is very much like Ramona) I often have to give him what he wants. Then again he is *so* intense I think perhaps the nursing is the only thing keeping him together, the only time he *must* be still and connected. On the fourth hand I wonder if he would cuddle and read books and just be sociably intimate with me more if he weren't nursing. I also think he would accept comfort from dh much more if he were weaned. But how to go about it with a child who is positively like Gussie in A Tree Grows In Brooklyn? And we're moving yet!
#19 of 273 Old 05-28-2006, 09:54 PM

I'm not seriously thinking of weaning, but I do fantasize about it sometimes. Your description of Rowan would fit R too. It's such a catch-22, I think she still really needs it which is what is making it so hard on both of us. DH and I have a joke about "drink some me-mes" which gets shouted at the top of toddler lungs a zillion times a day around her.

Erin, what a beautiful birth story, and baby too!

R's update:

At Birth:
8lbs 7oz, 21" long

One year:
(I'll have to come back and edit for height/weight)
climbing stairs but not yet walking
saying hi and about a dozen words

Two years:
~34-35" and about ~25lbs
* running, walking up and down stairs holding a railing (3rd floor apartment), climbing chain ladders, trying to jump but doing a kick thing instead, kicking and throwing a ball
* has two canines and is working on a third, no sign of the 2 yr molars
* nurses as often as a newborn, but is efficient
* one two hour nap a day, about five days out of seven, but still needs it
* sleeps in the family bed with her feet on top of mama for safekeeping
* is beginning to use compound sentences and conditional clauses, can be understood by others over half of the time although sometimes I wonder if they just don't realize she is talking to them. Uses correct pronouns sometimes but talks about herself in the third person too.
* knows her colors, recognizes some letters and numbers, can count to 12 (how many steps in each flight of stairs, I think), sings half a dozen short songs (two to three lines)
* sometimes talks about things that happened several weeks in the past, or even longer
* bosses around the two dogs and anyone else she can
* is very willful, but generally very cooperative
* prefers the stroller mostly to the baby carrier, but more than that prefers to walk
* tells us when she is poopy or wet, but refuses to use the potty
* loves trains, books, puzzles and toys that fit together

Here are two pics: smiling and conceptual art project
#20 of 273 Old 05-29-2006, 01:59 AM

Can I just share a big joy in my life at the moment? I'm back at my pre-kids weight!!!! Of course, I can't chalk up the last few pounds coming off to exercise or healthy eating, but sickness and stress... but they're gone! I'm not quite the same size as I was pre-kids, but I'm getting pretty close. I'm very comfortable in my size 7/8 clothes, so it won't be long before I'm back into my 5/6 clothes. And, when I get back to a size 4, you will alll hear me shrieking with glee! It will be awhile before I'm back at my college weight, but I'm finally seeing some results from all the hard work I've done the last six months! Since the day before Ellie was born (6.5 months ago), I've lost 47 lbs. Obviously, the first 8 lbs were the easiet...!

Today I made a huge effort not to yell at Killian, and I did pretty well. I yelled in panic when he tried to stick his hands into a poopy diaper, and I did raise my voice after he'd spit on Ellie 5-6 time, poked her in the eye, and then kicked her... (the kids were in the stroller and we were 2 miles away from home, so it was a tough situation to deal with Killy hurting Ellie - any suggestions for a situation like that? what natural consequences are there for spitting on your sister or hitting her while in a double stroller? I finally showed him that he could spit in his hand that that would be fine, but that was when he started the poking and hitting... I can't seperate them when they're in the side-by-side stroller, though! Killy's not reliable enough to walk along busy streets next to the stroller.) DH really hurt my feelings last night because he told me it didn't seem like I even liked Killy because I yelled at him so much yesterday... I felt like the worst mom ever and was seriously on monster.com looking for a job and planning to the put the kids in daycare because I felt like such a failure. I'm feeling a bit better today, though, and making a big effort not to loose my temper really paid off.

#21 of 273 Old 05-29-2006, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

QoC-- Congrats on your pre-kids weight! I'm not even hoping to see mine again until a) the pain in my tooth gets so bad that I can't chew anymore or b) I get pregnant again.

The big joy in my world-- BooBah has been removing her clothing and using the toilet *on her own*!! Last night, for example, she took her diaper off and went into the bathroom. I was nursing Bella, so I couldn't get up, but when Bella finally popped off I went down the hall. BooBah had closed the door of the bathroom-- a feat in and of itself, since the apartment is slanted so that the bathroom door swings open on it's own. She had apparently sat on the bathroom floor (emptying most of my conditioner bottle : ) for a bit, but when I came in, she was sitting on the toilet. "I'm pooping in da toy-wit, mamma," she said, and she was!! She makes no attempt to wipe herself when she poops, but when she pees she wipes on her own and holy moly, it's so wonderful not to have to deal with BooBah poop! It's the first time since BeanBean started eating solid food that I haven't had to change a nasty-smelling poopy diaper! I'm so happy! :

Like everything else, BooBah is potty learning on her own terms. Today she wanted to wear a pair of adorable shorts which only fit her if she's wearing paper (which she does at my mother's and the IL's, but not at home), and we didn't have any paper diapers. Mike was hesitant, but I told him to take her to the toilet to pee and then get her dressed in underpants, and we could buy some paper diapers on our way to the park. He did, and then on her own she peed before we left (when I reminded BeanBean to ). After I ran into Target, I put a pull-up on her, but that stayed dry all the way to the state park. She was dry the rest of the day, and pooped on the toilet when we got home... I'm just so totally impressed with her devotion to this. Hooray for BooBah!

Separating the toddler from the baby-- that's a tough one. The question you have to ask is, *why* is he harassing her? Is he trying to get attention from you, or is he trying to help take care of her? Maybe he wants his sister to play with him and he's just too enthusiastic about "asking" her. It could just be too much nervous energy; maybe he's not getting enough sleep, or he needs more time to run... It could be any number of things, and of course they're all best dealt with in different ways. I know that BeanBean stopped harassing BooBah (and everyone else) when I started giving him iron supplements; his foulest behavior is most often caused by anemia. BooBah, on the other hand, picks Bella up in an attempt to take care of her; she wants to "HEWP!" me and her sister. I still haven't figured out the best way to deal with this. Giving her other things to do can help, but she's very quick so they don't buy much time...

#22 of 273 Old 05-29-2006, 09:51 AM

Amazing to think that we have two year olds!!

Charlie will turn 2 on June 16th - I think we will be celebrating at a cottage that some very sweet friends have invited us to

So here's the update:

Birth: 7 pounds 3 oz, and 22 inches
1 Year: 24 pounds and 30 inches

Nearly 2 years: 26 pounds and 33 1/2 inches! I think she's going to take after daddy's build

She's talking up a storm: my favourite that she says is 'How rude!' when she has to do something that she doesn't like She also refers to herself as Cha-cha, so a lot of things seem to start with 'Cha-cha neeeeeeds......'

She's definitely not quite as physically strong as a lot of her peers, although the exercises that the physio taught me have made a big difference to the ligaments in her ankle. We have more follow-up with the Ped Neuro and the Pediatrician later in June: they're still not ruling out CP, but it seems less and less likely given the advances that she has been making in all other areas.

Her favourite things to do are: play in the yard, pick dandelions, read books, watch trains and make mud puddles to splash in. She has a potty, and loves to make all of her toys sit in it: she herself won't sit on it for long enough to do anything!!! She's very keen to get out of wet/dirty diapers though, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time...maybe I need to set her up with some good books to read on the pot!!!

Well, looks like being another lovely sunny day here, so we're off to put our shorts and sunscreen on...

to all
#23 of 273 Old 05-29-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Separating the toddler from the baby-- that's a tough one. The question you have to ask is, *why* is he harassing her? Is he trying to get attention from you, or is he trying to help take care of her? Maybe he wants his sister to play with him and he's just too enthusiastic about "asking" her. It could just be too much nervous energy; maybe he's not getting enough sleep, or he needs more time to run...
It really seems that he just likes seeing her reaction. She cries and turns purple, and I guess that's cool to a 2 year old. The spitting thing is just crazy, its an ongoing issue. I really think he just likes to see spit change the color of whatever he spits on (as it goes from dry to wet). I'm VERY concientious of getting him plenty of exercise every day, otherwise he doesn't sleep well. Yesterday, this happened about 7pm, and so far that day he'd: spent 2 hours playing in the church nursery with a friend, the friend came home with us and spent another two hours playing (on the playground and in his play kitchen), he'd had a 2.5 hour nap, and then we played at the park. After the park, on the way to the video store, he started harassing Ellie.

#24 of 273 Old 05-29-2006, 02:01 PM

Congrats on the weight loss! That is really exciting. I'm finally into pre-pregnancy weight and it is slow going but at least it is still going.

Maybe a special toy that only comes out in the stroller? A beeping, electronic garbage toy that he doesn't get any other time? Sorry not to have better advice.

We are all cranky from the heat here. It has been such a cool spring the 90 degree crap yesterday caught us by surprise...
#25 of 273 Old 05-29-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
Can I just share a big joy in my life at the moment? I'm back at my pre-kids weight!!!! Of course, I can't chalk up the last few pounds coming off to exercise or healthy eating, but sickness and stress... but they're gone!
Congrats! I say who the hell cares how it came off! I'd put up with being sick for a while if I could lose the weight I put on- I got back to before-pre-Rowan weight super-fast, but gained some over Christmas last year. And I don't exercise. And at the moment it is too damned hot here to do anything other than work on the house (inside!). Once we move, I plan to get plenty of exercise, and hopefully lose this weight. But I am happy for you! That's great news, and encouraging! There might be hope for me!

Is it possible to spend some time with Killy without the baby? That might help sort of tank him up on attention and deflect any focus on the baby. But it might just be normal, healthy behaviour for him to harrass his sister. Isn't that what siblings are for (says the only child)?
#26 of 273 Old 05-29-2006, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congrats, Queenie! I didn't gain very much this pg and am within a few lbs of my pre-pg weight, but my size 8 pants are NOT comfortable yet. Only time will tell if my hips have gotten permanently wider.

I need to dig out the baby book so I can do an update for James. I have no idea what he weighed at one year...
#27 of 273 Old 05-30-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
Is it possible to spend some time with Killy without the baby? That might help sort of tank him up on attention and deflect any focus on the baby. But it might just be normal, healthy behaviour for him to harrass his sister. Isn't that what siblings are for (says the only child)?
I make a point to do that every day... <sigh> Every morning we haver our cuddle and nursing time before Ellie wakes up, and DH puts Ellie down at night so I can cuddle and put Killy to bed every night. Plus, I cuddle him to sleep for naptime every day, too... I think this problem will persist until he (1) has greater impluse control and (2) has more empathy. When will that happen? I'm guessing when he's about 15 years old... Though, one of my in-laws favorite stories is that while they were driving him to move into his dorm freshman year of college, FIL says he saw DH hit his 13 year old sister in the backseat because he was bored. I guess I'm in for a long journey, eh?

#28 of 273 Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

I have to say that in terms of impulse control, BeanBean is extraordinary not only for his age, but for boys in general. When he hit his head at the Y because he was messing around, he said, "I don't know why I did that..." and he seemed very disappointed that he couldn't just tell me. I had to laugh, because guys rarely seem to know why they do silly things until they're in their early thirties-- if they ever do. At the same time, it made me recognize that I had come to expect a logical answer about these things from BeanBean, simply because he'd offered them in the past. I was expecting too much from him whenever I asked him "Why did you do that?" and I'd gotten used to recieving an answer, so when he couldn't explain his behavior he was unhappy.

My point: guys really have no idea why they do silly things most of the time. It's just not the way that their brains are wired. Men are act first, do later people, which is difficult for women to wrap their heads around as we tend to be think first, then act sorts. It's totally not fair to expect a toddler or preschooler to explain their actions, even if they are exceptionally verbal and empathic and especially if the toddler or preschooler in question is a boy. I have to keep telling myself, consciously, that Mike was probably 30 years old before he was even capable of explaining why he did things and that even now, as a 37 year old, he occasionally has difficulty with it. I'll say, "Why did you x, you could have y and things would have been so much simpler," and he'll respond, "I don't know, I just didn't think of it." This happens all the time! As a woman it's difficult for me to fathom sometimes that such a smart guy could be so clueless, but it's very normal behavior.

In other news: My teeth hurt today. The extra weight that I've packed on since Bella's birth will now unceremoniously come flying off of my behind. Mike is considering cashing out part of his 401K so that we can pay off some medical bills and I can see the dentist again. Super depressing. I also discovered that I only have one pair of shorts that fits me, and that of the super cheap t-shirts that I bought last year only 2 are fit to wear in public. Oh, and my sandals have officially bitten the dust. Yick. I don't want to spend money on cute sandal because my toenails are so ugly that I'd feel stupid wearing them, but I think they stopped making thr ones I liked (Skechers Jammers, I think they were called).

I flipped through a Hanna Andersson catalog Sunday and cried afterwards. Being poor is depressing year round! I've really got to write a book or something...

#29 of 273 Old 05-30-2006, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Birthday, James!

#30 of 273 Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 AM

Happy Birthday James!

Money just sucks.

Hey, as usual I need some advice and maybe I should take it to you ladies before wandering out of this thread. R is super grumpy all the time when she wakes up and we are getting into a conflict every morning when I try to get up and go use the bathroom. She's usually been nursing for an hour or so at that point, but doesn't want to break contact with me. Usually I end up taking her into the bathroom and holding her the whole time. She won't go to DH who is right there. The only times it doesn't happen is when she's managed to sleep over 11 hours so I think that's part of the issue but it also might be a transition thing. Meanwhile, I'm just really starting to resent having to sublimate my (urgent) needs for hers. Any suggestions?

Rynna, I hate not having money too and I can't imagine what it must feel like to be constantly juggling to make things work the way you do, though we've really had to watch it this spring thanks to some car repairs and an ER visit and some medical crap I had to take care of--we seem to be maxing out the deductible on my health insurance every single year. Just thinking about the way health care costs are handled in this country is making my blood boil... and WTF is up with dental health being somehow excluded from most health care plans these days? : The company I work for had to drop our coverage a couple years ago. Isn't the mouth part of the body too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page